Sunday Ticket update

Gisele

16 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

https://nflst.directv.com/student

If you aren't a student it still works if you know a student willing to let you use their name, school and dob. 

Thanks again for this, very helpful.  I read the fine print, and a student in the Buffalo area would work because it's based on where you're viewing the game, correct?  For example, if a Buffalo student subscribed, I would see the Bills game on my TV here in Virginia, right?

1 minute ago, Ned Flanders said:

Thanks again for this, very helpful.  I read the fine print, and a student in the Buffalo area would work because it's based on where you're viewing the game, correct?  For example, if a Buffalo student subscribed, I would see the Bills game on my TV here in Virginia, right?

I believe  that the game blackouts are based on your credit card address, since you are in VA then you'd get the Bills games but not the Redskins. To be safe I'd avoid using student info from the WNY area if possible but maybe someone else can chime in on that.  All they ask for is student name, date of birth and school attended.  The credit card you use and the student name do not have to be the same.  I used my neighbors sons info and my credit card and it worked.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/19/2019 at 7:11 PM, Lockerrm1984 said:

Over 20 years with directv  and cancelled today no specials available for me. Hard to believe. Back to the sports bar. 

Really?  Did you get the real customer loyalty people?   Did you just say cancel or ask is their anyway they can help ya out?  I find being nice and asking for ways to reduce the bill usually helps.   This year I will,use the Nextar and CBS issues to leverage the discussion 

18 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Really?  Did you get the real customer loyalty people?   Did you just say cancel or ask is their anyway they can help ya out?  I find being nice and asking for ways to reduce the bill usually helps.   This year I will,use the Nextar and CBS issues to leverage the discussion 

Wasn’t an issue for them...they offered me a device to connect to my tv to get local channels...no other offers

Don't bother calling this year they are playing hardball totally different from years past. I live out of state so if I cancel will have to find another way to watch the games. When I figure that out they are losing this 20 year customer in a heart beat!!! 

I own a second home. While they wouldn’t give me Sunday Ticket for free (which I asked for on the basis that I can’t watch TV from both houses at the same time...duh) they did reluctantly give me enough off on basic service each month to make up for the cost. They ‘simply’ put my account back into the teaser promotional rate. It took an HOUR on the phone yesterday. 

I went to the DirecTV website and logged in the other day and they had a page explaining why I no longer get CBS and ABC and that there was a page I could go to to see if I was entitled to a discount. Anyway, I went there and they offered me a temporary $15 dollar a month discount off my bill. They were also offering the Sunday ticket for $50 a month for 12 months.

If I had accepted their "discount" I would have agreed to a new 2 year contract. I have no contract presently. So I declined their offer. I went back a few days later and found that they raised my monthly rate by $5 and would now charge me $70 a month for 12 months for Sunday ticket.

Just for spite I cancelled Cinemax, which I rarely watch. Next week I'll cancel HBO if CBS and ABC aren't back and I'll dump them completely if those stations haven't been brought back by Labor day.

4 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I went to the DirecTV website and logged in the other day and they had a page explaining why I no longer get CBS and ABC and that there was a page I could go to to see if I was entitled to a discount. Anyway, I went there and they offered me a temporary $15 dollar a month discount off my bill. They were also offering the Sunday ticket for $50 a month for 12 months.

If I had accepted their "discount" I would have agreed to a new 2 year contract. I have no contract presently. So I declined their offer. I went back a few days later and found that they raised my monthly rate by $5 and would now charge me $70 a month for 12 months for Sunday ticket.

Just for spite I cancelled Cinemax, which I rarely watch. Next week I'll cancel HBO if CBS and ABC aren't back and I'll dump them completely if those stations haven't been brought back by Labor day.

Doesn't make sense...Sunday ticket is a 6 month charge and it's not $70 a month...That's $840 for Sunday Ticket

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, nucci said:

I don't get it why some are getting discounts and others are not. I received enough off to cover Sunday Ticket and more. They are a pain to deal with but I try hard to squeeze them. 

The CSR I talked to earlier in the week told me it's merely luck of the draw, depends who you get when you call and when you call...and a promotion may or may not appear while you're on the phone with them.  I told the CSR that's a helluva business model.

I still contend AT&T cell customers have the best chance of a promotion/discount and the whole notion of a "Loyalty Department" is a canard. 

I cancelled later that day.

3 hours ago, nucci said:

I don't get it why some are getting discounts and others are not. I received enough off to cover Sunday Ticket and more. They are a pain to deal with but I try hard to squeeze them. 

I wondered that as well. Guessing here, but I think it's one of three factors: 

A: haven't been a customer "long enough" or already have significant credits at the time of the call

B: not being polite enough with the rep

C : not being direct enough with the rep. If you call and say "cancel service", and don't try to "force" them to keep you as a customer, the rep will simply adhere to your cancel request

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

They'll just raise your rates.

Well got my Spectrum. Going pretty good taking time to get used to how it operates but getting the hang of it. Although dont understand why some series wont record but gives watchlist as an option?

Will be watching channel 4 !!! Thanks for saving me 90 bucks a month DTV.

Also got my Strongman back !!!!!

Its ridiculous that it comes down to you need to "ask a certain way".  For 10 years, it was a routine call to "cancel" with a wink, the nice rep knew exactly what was going on, and would offer me discounts and promotions that made me feel valued, and created a loyal customer.

It isn't worth any effort to be honest.  For over $100 less, i have the same content, actually more because streaming.  No bulky boxes (that cost leasing) and outages when it rains hard.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its ridiculous that it comes down to you need to "ask a certain way".  For 10 years, it was a routine call to "cancel" with a wink, the nice rep knew exactly what was going on, and would offer me discounts and promotions that made me feel valued, and created a loyal customer.

It isn't worth any effort to be honest.  For over $100 less, i have the same content, actually more because streaming.  No bulky boxes (that cost leasing) and outages when it rains hard.

Do people on directv still pay a monthly fee for the boxes? They gave me mine for free and I just assumed every other customer got them for free as well. 

In less than a week after cancelling DTV, I got a letter in the mail from them asking what it would take to get me back as a customer. All I could think, when I threw the letter away is, why they didn't ask themselves what they could have done to keep me as a customer.

I find it weird that companies would give discounts to new customers before they would give them to someone who has been loyal to them for years.  

Took me a long time to work a deal this year, a few months back. I didn’t get the Sunday ticket for free or discounted, but got my “base package” discounted enough to almost cover the cost. Yesterday I got a promo code as a season ticket member for Sunday ticket Max for the year for $100. It says you can’t be a current Sunday ticket subscriber but screw it I put the code in for review anyways. Hoping maybe it slides though and when I get my bill, the Sunday ticket price will be reduced and I’ll still get that monthly adjustment for my base package

. They really have become a pain to deal with. I have a legitimate beef also, they royally screwed up our move to a new residence this year. Untold amount of time on the phone with probably 10+ people trying to make it right.

22 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I ditched Directv and switched to cable.  Going to give NFL Game Pass a try.  Treat the game like it's a 4pm start and keep busy until then.

I think Sunday games are available after 11PM, not 4PM.

Well, less than 48 hours after cancelling DTV, my "account rep" called last night and offered me basically my same programming for about $5 more/month with FREE Sunday Ticket Max for this season.  It comes with a year contract, but I'm all right with that.  The CSR was one of the best since AT&T took over and the whole process took about 20 minutes. 

So, I'm again shackled with the DTV chains but when he said "free Sunday Ticket Max," I crumbled.