Sunday Ticket update

Gisele

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

All of these options give me a stomach ache. I wish the NFL just made it easy to purchase a "follow your team" service for live games or even allowed purchase of individual games.

Sunday Ticket in your home is pretty easy

Just hung up with ATT/DirecTV. 40 mins on phone, pretty good result although not NEARLY as fruitful as previous years. Sunday Ticket not free for existing customers, though I did back my way into getting it for free. Sunday Ticket $48.99 X 6 mos, $60.00 Loyalty Credit X 12 mos. She said call back next month when one of my other credits expire, and I will get more $$$ off my bill. No contract, month to month.

Staying out of a contract is key.  Apparently I happen to be in one now as a result of adding a mini-genie a year ago (even though they told me at the time that it wouldn't result in being in a contract).  So I'm disputing the contract thing.  Then I ask the rep to check on whether I have Sunday Ticket on auto-renewal (which you also don't want).  She replies,  oh, it looks like you're all set for ST at no charge this year.  Not sure how that happened.

I only have the basic package ( $47.52 a month)

I called and was immediately offered $12.25 off a month so $220 instead of $ 293.

I’ll take it.

I can’t get my LG tv web browser to open Reddit. It keeps telling me it times out.

I’m looking at running a hard HDMI cable from the computer to tv and getting Reddit that way.

The only problem is the streams can get wonky or not be as clear.

I guess I should just stop being such a cheap Pollock and not worry about $200+. It really isn’t that much but I LOVE to haggle?

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Staying out of a contract is key.  Apparently I happen to be in one now as a result of adding a mini-genie a year ago (even though they told me at the time that it wouldn't result in being in a contract).  So I'm disputing the contract thing.  Then I ask the rep to check on whether I have Sunday Ticket on auto-renewal (which you also don't want).  She replies,  oh, it looks like you're all set for ST at no charge this year.  Not sure how that happened.

It's a hardware-only contract, different from a service contract. 

Meaning you'd be able to drop their service at any time at no cost, but you'd still have to finish paying off the genie in the meantime. 

12 hours ago, BigDingus said:

About 5 months ago I called to see if I could get my DirecTV bill lowered a bit, just saying I'd prefer to drop a tier or something since I'm not using it much. The woman cut my bill from $130 a month down to $60, and said I'd get to keep it at that price for a year...

Sometimes DirecTV's customer service can be EXTREMELY helpful. I didn't threaten to cancel or anything. She just up & said here ya go, we'll cut your bill in half for the hell of it!

Might want to hold off a bit on that. Disney's new streaming service Disney+ is coming out soon, and they announced a future bundle that will include Disney+, Hulu & ESPN+ for only $12.99 a month. 

That's only $2 more than I'm paying right now for Hulu alone. I've been wanting to get ESPN+ too, but I'm going to wait it out until that bundle officially releases.

I guess , not sure im interested in the other two. What does Disney have to offer?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

On 8/13/2019 at 8:40 PM, Gisele said:

Just got my bill and Sunday Ticket was already added.  I called DTV and in a very lighthearted manner complained that they took away my opportunity to haggle with them this year.  The person I spoke with laughed and gave it to me completely free!  No arguing, threatening or haggling.  Now that I look at it, I got more than free.  She gave me $40 off a month for a year and $18 off a month for six months.  Now might be a good time to call.

What department did you talk to?

On 8/15/2019 at 12:27 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

All of these options give me a stomach ache. I wish the NFL just made it easy to purchase a "follow your team" service for live games or even allowed purchase of individual games.

This, so much this. They used to offer a follow your team option with Gamepass but they now went full ripoff with their pricing scheme.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dante said:

Ca

Cancel DTV or Sunday ticket?

Called to cancel DTV.  Had some credits fall off and was able to get 55 off for 12 months, 7 off HBO for 6 months and 16.50 off Sunday Ticket Max.  been with DTV since 2000.  Helps if not in a contract too or will not give you many discounts as all. Also told them not happy that still can't get CBS as DTV has dispute with Nextstar

8 minutes ago, boco357 said:

Called to cancel DTV.  Had some credits fall off and was able to get 55 off for 12 months, 7 off HBO for 6 months and 16.50 off Sunday Ticket Max.  been with DTV since 2000.  Helps if not in a contract too or will not give you many discounts as all. Also told them not happy that still can't get CBS as DTV has dispute with Nextstar

Thanks for the help boco. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, nucci said:

Sunday Ticket in your home is pretty easy

Not what I'm referring to... PFT has discussed many times the possibility of having a pay-as-you-go system for NFL games, essentially making them PPV. Or, you could have a "follow your team" subscription option for out-of-towners, on Amazon Prime or something, for substantially less money than Sunday Ticket.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/15/2019 at 11:26 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I guess , not sure im interested in the other two. What does Disney have to offer?

Guess it depends on what your interests are, and if you have kids.

Aside from them instantly making available all Disney animated films since their inception, along with all Pixar movies, they're making a ton of original programming exclusive to the platform. 

Now that they own Fox, they're working on bringing those IP's to that service on top of it (aside from R-Rated movies/shows which will go on Hulu).

This includes IP's like Star Wars, Marvel, National Geographic, The Simpsons, etc. including shows made by Pixar, 20th Century, Marvel & Lucas Films that tie into existing franchises.

There's also a bunch of announced oddities like The World According to Jeff Goldblum (a weird show about pretty much tackles whatever random thing on his mind), Cinema Relics (anthology series that dives into old films), The Mandalorian (a live action series following a Rebel Spy in the Star Wars universe), etc. 

Lastly, all Disney content is being pulled from other services like Netflix and will exclusively stream on Disney+. Endgame, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Star Wars: Episode IX, Frozen 2, blah blah blah.

Anyway, just pulled up some tabs & tried to drop off a bit of the info they've got. If you've got kids, there's only tens of thousands more shows & movies they'd probably be hyped for too. Or you could just not care about all that other stuff anyway. For me, paying the extra $2 to get access to all that & ESPN+ is worth it even if I could care less about the majority of the stuff on their. If there's at least 2 or 3 things in there worth watching, it won't bother me one bit.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Guess it depends on what your interests are, and if you have kids.

Aside from them instantly making available all Disney animated films since their inception, along with all Pixar movies, they're making a ton of original programming exclusive to the platform. 

Now that they own Fox, they're working on bringing those IP's to that service on top of it (aside from R-Rated movies/shows which will go on Hulu).

This includes IP's like Star Wars, Marvel, National Geographic, The Simpsons, etc. including shows made by Pixar, 20th Century, Marvel & Lucas Films that tie into existing franchises.

There's also a bunch of announced oddities like The World According to Jeff Goldblum (a weird show about pretty much tackles whatever random thing on his mind), Cinema Relics (anthology series that dives into old films), The Mandalorian (a live action series following a Rebel Spy in the Star Wars universe), etc. 

Lastly, all Disney content is being pulled from other services like Netflix and will exclusively stream on Disney+. Endgame, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Star Wars: Episode IX, Frozen 2, blah blah blah.

Anyway, just pulled up some tabs & tried to drop off a bit of the info they've got. If you've got kids, there's only tens of thousands more shows & movies they'd probably be hyped for too. Or you could just not care about all that other stuff anyway. For me, paying the extra $2 to get access to all that & ESPN+ is worth it even if I could care less about the majority of the stuff on their. If there's at least 2 or 3 things in there worth watching, it won't bother me one bit.

My kids are grown, already have Netflix and Amazon so will probably go with just ESPN. Should have gotten it tonight to watch Stipe Miochic win back his title, probably will for the next ppv. Wonder if the PPVs are cheaper with the app or do they screw you twice?

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

My kids are grown, already have Netflix and Amazon so will probably go with just ESPN. Should have gotten it tonight to watch Stipe Miochic win back his title, probably will for the next ppv. Wonder if the PPVs are cheaper with the app or do they screw you twice?

Oh ok. I guess if you don't already have Hulu then I could understand passing on it, but for $2 more, getting all the ESPN+ stuff on top of Hulu makes it worth it to me, Disney+ is just a nice bonus.

And in regards to PPV's, you still have to buy them like normal. There are bonus events free on ESPN+, but the main PPV's you still pay the $59.99 price. Here's a good link explaining it - https://heavy.com/streaming/2019/04/watch-ufc-ppv-events-espn-plus/