Impossible Whopper

The Bills Blog

I tried an Impossible Whopper. Here are the thoughts of an honest taster with no agenda. (The paid actors in the Burger King commercials are clearly not giving honest reviews, and I'd have to guess that many of the online reviews are also bought by BK. That's to be expected.)

My first thought is that vegetarians and those who stay away from meat for moral reasons might get a good positive kick out of this. It is definitely the best non-burger burger I've ever tasted (and I tasted quite a few in my pescatarian days). Those looking for something more nutritious than a burger should probably stay away, because I would strongly object to the notion that this is a "healthier" option. Trading fat for carbs is typically not a good idea.

It also doesn't taste like meat, but it tastes more like nothing than other meat replacements, which makes it better than other meat replacements. I also give it extremely high marks for its inner appearance and texture, although the exterior will not fool anyone. I actually laughed when I opened the wrapper, because it was immediately obvious that it wasn't meat (and the marketing has been strongly pushing the idea that people can't tell the difference).

In my (admittedly brief) digging, I wasn't able to find an actual ingredients list, but I would be shocked if the patty doesn't contain cauliflower. If there was one flavor I got consistently, it was cauliflower.

Overall: it was a pretty good sandwich that tasted a little too much like cauliflower.

• Thank you (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

I tried an Impossible Whopper. Here are the thoughts of an honest taster with no agenda. (The paid actors in the Burger King commercials are clearly not giving honest reviews, and I'd have to guess that many of the online reviews are also bought by BK. That's to be expected.)

My first thought is that vegetarians and those who stay away from meat for moral reasons might get a good positive kick out of this. It is definitely the best non-burger burger I've ever tasted (and I tasted quite a few in my pescatarian days). Those looking for something more nutritious than a burger should probably stay away, because I would strongly object to the notion that this is a "healthier" option. Trading fat for carbs is typically not a good idea.

It also doesn't taste like meat, but it tastes more like nothing than other meat replacements, which makes it better than other meat replacements. I also give it extremely high marks for its inner appearance and texture, although the exterior will not fool anyone. I actually laughed when I opened the wrapper, because it was immediately obvious that it wasn't meat (and the marketing has been strongly pushing the idea that people can't tell the difference).

In my (admittedly brief) digging, I wasn't able to find an actual ingredients list, but I would be shocked if the patty doesn't contain cauliflower. If there was one flavor I got consistently, it was cauliflower.

Overall: it was a pretty good sandwich that tasted a little too much like cauliflower.

Haven't been to a BK recently.  How much was it (compared to regular Whopper)?

9 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

I've eaten a lot of Impossible burgers.  They're good.  I'd agree with you, best non-meat burger by a mile.  Better than the Beyond Burger. 

I always liked the whopper till I had to switch to vegetarian to bring cholesterol down. 

I like Morning Star veggie patties ( frozen food)  The Buffalo Chik patties taste great and are nutritious. 

Here is one review I found for the impossible burger

The plant-based burger craze is sweeping the nation, but consumers should be wary of consuming them as part of a healthy meal. 

https://www.cookinglight.com/news/is-the-impossible-burger-healthy

Edited by ALF

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Impossible Whopper is bad for you.

You need Beyond Burger if you want something for Vegans. Beyond Burger doesn't taste bad and it won't kill you like the impossible burger.

How is the Impossible Burger not vegan? It's just GMO plants that produce hemoglobin. 

I have not tried the impossible burger but we regularly have the Beyond Burger because it's available from Whole Foods. Uncooked, it smells like fish, but once cooked, it's damn good. With the usual burger toppings, it's hard to distinguish. Without toppings, it's obvious it's not meat. 

I love that the meat industry is lobbying to get these substitutes to drop "burger." Never bothered them until they started actually tasting good, and no, none of the ones before now were anything like a burger.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

The plant-based burger craze is sweeping the nation, but consumers should be wary of consuming them as part of a healthy meal. 

https://www.cookinglight.com/news/is-the-impossible-burger-healthy

Sodium is the big difference in nutrition values. I will prefer a meat burger for now but I'm all for killing less animals and hope these keep getting better taste and health-wise. 

14 minutes ago, John Adams said:

How is the Impossible Burger not vegan? It's just GMO plants that produce hemoglobin. 

I have not tried the impossible burger but we regularly have the Beyond Burger because it's available from Whole Foods. Uncooked, it smells like fish, but once cooked, it's damn good. With the usual burger toppings, it's hard to distinguish. Without toppings, it's obvious it's not meat. 

I love that the meat industry is lobbying to get these substitutes to drop "burger." Never bothered them until they started actually tasting good, and no, none of the ones before now were anything like a burger.

Sodium is the big difference in nutrition values. I will prefer a meat burger for now but I'm all for killing less animals and hope these keep getting better taste and health-wise. 

Never said it wasn't vegan... But you can have Impossible Burger vegan with a chance of cancer, or Beyond Burger.

Anyway nothing will taste better then a freshly slaughtered animal. Sorry Vegans.

Edited by Boca BIlls

Anyway nothing will taste better then a freshly slaughtered animal. Sorry Vegans.

For now. 

Lab meat and plant "meat" will be just as good soon and not require killing animals. I am a meat-eater but that will be a good day. 

Edited by John Adams

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Impossible Whopper is bad for you.

You need Beyond Burger if you want something for Vegans. Beyond Burger doesn't taste bad and it won't kill you like the impossible burger.

If you're looking for something good for you, Burger King probably isn't the best place to be looking.

• Like (+1) 1

i tried a regular impossible whopper last week and found it tasted identical to a whopper.  Went back a couple days later ordered an impossible whopper with cheese and bacon and it was still everybit as good as the meat patty whopper. I'm a fan and would have zero problem ordering them going forward

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Moderation is the key.  You don't need fake anything, just less of the real stuff.

why are you being so logical???       LOL 

2 hours ago, The Poojer said:

i tried a regular impossible whopper last week and found it tasted identical to a whopper.  Went back a couple days later ordered an impossible whopper with cheese and bacon and it was still everybit as good as the meat patty whopper. I'm a fan and would have zero problem ordering them going forward

as I stated earlier 

meat or fake meat  the Flame Broiled taste is an artificial flavoring, ergo tasting the same