What's your hobby?

RochesterRob

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Absolutely nothing beats good sound! In the age of home theatre, I have remained a two channel guy. Vinyl is still the way to go. I understood good sound when I was a teenager. I shoveled drive ways for two weeks to get my first Marantz Integrated amplifier back in the day.

Beautiful! If you do get your hands on one, dont let it go. You may want to check Audiogon.com for vintage Marantz. It is a good site with honest members. Most audiophiles take better care of their audio equipment than their cars. 

I still have my Marantz 4230 Quad receiver ... it's in pristine shape

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I am very effective at killing them

They can be a challenge...The oldest one I've had about 25 years...add at least another 10 years and I estimate it at 35-40 years old...I have a few that age, others around 20.  Mostly junipers and Korean Hornbeams (the most hard for sure), a few ***** maples, a few black pines...haven't added any recently.

11 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

My dad had one of these, and I would gladly donate a kidney to any TBD'er in return for one to run my turntable setup..........

image.thumb.png.ccfb52e01b91aa0d90c469daa85fd225.png

Why not keep your kidney, go to Ebay, and just buy one?

They aren't that expensive.  $500 to $1,000 range will give you many options.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:49 PM, RochesterRob said:

Do you like doing something that is off of the beaten path.  I like to collect old brochures for things like for cars.  Mostly from the late 1970's and early 1980's before I graduated college.  My cousin likes doing something similar but with farm equipment.  He most recently was offered a salesperson's training book from the 1960's but at almost 1,300 hundred dollars he had to pass.  My main interest is GM products from the late 1970's and early 1980's.

I like to play tennis.THAT is not off the beaten path. On change overs or during breaks, while sweating BUCKETS on a lovely 95 degree afternoon (with a fells like of 107 a couple days ago for 2 hours!), I like to sit on the bench, drop my head down and drip sweat from the bill of my cap and make sweat patterns on the ground. I am a leaky spigot! On a good day, I can find ants and encircle them with my nasty little moat. Does that make me a bad person?  Or just....crazy? If it’s crazy, I blame the heat. 

21 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

My dad had one of these, and I would gladly donate a kidney to any TBD'er in return for one to run my turntable setup..........

image.thumb.png.ccfb52e01b91aa0d90c469daa85fd225.png

We had a Marantz tuner/amp in the basement for over 30 years. We just gave it to my nephews (ages 11 and 20).  I hope they are putting it to good use.  They were excited to get it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/16/2019 at 8:06 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

How hard is it to play those tiny ones on the fireplace mantle ??? 

Read books

Play video games

They’re tough, no doubt. But my original G.I.Joe can play bar chords on them.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, RochesterRob said:

I've written both professionally and as a hobby.  Never got published but was asked to contribute on a couple of articles concerning economics and land values.  

Land values in the Dunkirk and greater Batavia area?

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Land values in the Dunkirk and greater Batavia area?

Not previously in those areas but with some research I could give a pretty good assessment.  Dunkirk as in vineyards?  Batavia as in muck land or vegetable growing soil?  Development?

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It's littering meets Pokeman Go. 

Actually, it stresses picking up garbage  when you see it along the way.   Good way to  get in exercise.  Get to see a lot of nice trails. Pokemon Go just encourages people to wander into traffic.  There are geocaches everywhere except NK, and the ISIS  controlled areas.

I made quite a few 1/35 scale model tanks when I was having chemo post cancer surgery, never did this prior but was suggested I needed to ‘have a hobby’! 

Was as weak as a kitten.

Was good therapy.

Hindsight... May have been the glue though...

• Haha (+1) 1