What's your hobby?

RochesterRob

Do you like doing something that is off of the beaten path.  I like to collect old brochures for things like for cars.  Mostly from the late 1970's and early 1980's before I graduated college.  My cousin likes doing something similar but with farm equipment.  He most recently was offered a salesperson's training book from the 1960's but at almost 1,300 hundred dollars he had to pass.  My main interest is GM products from the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Hobbies, in no particular order:

crosswords

twobillsdrive

home improvement 

drinking beer

reading

golfing

the occasional video game

cooking with the wife

watching the Yankees

writing America’s next great novel 

man, I am pathetic 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

Bills Fan

Sabres fan

Sports fan in general

Playing golf

Traveling when I get the opportunity

I like watching a lot of movies and tv shows from the 80s and 90s

I collect shot glasses from cities I travel to and some sports memorabilia

Big music and documentary fan

I have a ton of hobbies but I am not sure if any of them would be considered off the beaten path. Have you ever met a coworker or somebody that doesn't seem to have any hobbies? That's the weird one to me.  I don't get people who don't have any interests or passions in life, I don't think I could make it through life without having hobbies I love.

14 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Bills Fan

Sabres fan

Sports fan in general

Playing golf

Traveling when I get the opportunity

I like watching a lot of movies and tv shows from the 80s and 90s

I collect shot glasses from cities I travel to and some sports memorabilia

Big music and documentary fan

I have a ton of hobbies but I am not sure if any of them would be considered off the beaten path. Have you ever met a coworker or somebody that doesn't seem to have any hobbies? That's the weird one to me.  I don't get people who don't have any interests or passions in life, I don't think I could make it through life without having hobbies I love.

There are a lot of people that I have never gotten to know all that well.  Sometimes income or space are limiting factors but still a person would be inclined to start a conversation about something they might want to do.  I don't do what I want to do with the brochures in terms of hanging onto everything.  Also, sometimes my passion for a given piece diminishes so I sell it to purchase something else.  I envy the people who need so much space that they devote a whole room to their hobby.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Bonsai...I was wondering the other day if anyone here cultivates them as well.

Cultivate is the wrong word. Bought one of those junipers from a Japanese man on the roadside.  Did well outside... Till it got to -25°F... I had to bring it in.  Then the death and destruction.

What did I do wrong?

1 hour ago, Nervous Guy said:

Bonsai...I was wondering the other day if anyone here cultivates them as well.

We bought our son a bonsai about 5 years ago for his birthday.  It didn't really go well.  It's actually something I've wanted to get into on my own.  We have a nursery about a mile down the road and one of the owners specializes in bonsai.  My son worked there for a couple weeks this summer before they let him go for "not working fast enough," but I don't think it would be awkward to go there for a class and learn.  Seems very relaxing.

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Do you like doing something that is off of the beaten path.  I like to collect old brochures for things like for cars.  Mostly from the late 1970's and early 1980's before I graduated college. 

I do like classic car shows and museums.  The Pierce-Arrow museum in Buffalo wasn't bad.  The Cleveland History Center has a whole nice big section of vintage cars from the early 1900s in their basement.  

I love to drive as well.  Sometimes even driving to get my food shopping done in Philly which is an hour ride from me.  Changes of scenery/driving are nice, especially when there's not as many people on the road.  

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Cultivate is the wrong word. Bought one of those junipers from a Japanese man on the roadside.  Did well outside... Till it got to -25°F... I had to bring it in.  Then the death and destruction.

What did I do wrong?

You were somewhere where it got to -25F. DUH! 

Not for the silly juniper! For the humans in your life! 

It was 95 degrees today, felt like 107, and I survived 2 hours at the tennis courts. That beats 40 degrees in my book! @plenzmd1 don’t know squat!  

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

You were somewhere where it got to -25F. DUH! 

Not for the silly juniper! For the humans in your life! 

It was 95 degrees today, felt like 107, and I survived 2 hours at the tennis courts. That beats 40 degrees in my book! @plenzmd1 don’t know squat!  

I think the Japanese man from Texas hustled me... Sent his bonsai off to the slaughter in Illinois! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Do you like doing something that is off of the beaten path.  I like to collect old brochures for things like for cars.  Mostly from the late 1970's and early 1980's before I graduated college.  My cousin likes doing something similar but with farm equipment.  He most recently was offered a salesperson's training book from the 1960's but at almost 1,300 hundred dollars he had to pass.  My main interest is GM products from the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Wow, GM products from that time period are among the worst automobiles ever made.

That era when pollution control equipment was finding its way into automobiles for the first time, is generally the low point in the history of the internal combustion engine.

Bad time even for Porsche and Ferrari.

• Like (+1) 1