Surprise Cuts

3 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Seemed to me there were a lot of reports of running backs split wide, especially early in camp. I could see a lot of running the ball this year so it wouldn't suprise me if they kept an extra rb vs a wr.

I don't see McCoy making it thru this most likely final season. If Wade has a couple more big plays maybe they expand their rb group? I've said for awhile that Josh needs 1 more year of development so seeing an emphasis on the running game is expected. 

I see a lot of names that wouldn't be a real surprise in this thread.

I'll go out on a limb and say that there will be NO surprise cuts. But there might be some surprise trades.

Maybe Long or Feliciano get traded once Mitch is back to full strength. Maybe Foster. Maybe McCoy.

5 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Stephen Hauschka - That would be a surprise

Shaq Lawson - He'd be traded, not cut

Tyree Jackson - Not a surprise

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Cvanvol7 said:

Led the team in special teams snaps for two straight years and knows the defense and we are already thin at LB

i think they like stanford better, i could be wrong. 

when are the first round of cuts due?...or do they now just have to be at the 53 by a certain date?

Edited by billsredneck1

10 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think they like stanford better, i could be wrong. 

when are the first round of cuts due?

There is no 'first round' anymore. The roster must be down to 53 after the 4th preseason game. They got rid of the 'cut to 75' or whatever it was a couple years ago. I suspect you'll start to see the roster size begin to slowly dwindle after Friday's game.

EDIT: 

Looks like August 31st at 4:00pm

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2019-20-important-nfl-dates/

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My surprise cut is Zay Jones.  I've seen enough so I'm saying when.  The drop on the goal line is huge.  He just can't make the big play when needed.  I put McKittrick ahead of him RIGHT NOW.  All McKittrick does is make plays every time he gets the ball.  Others list McKittrick as the surprise cut.  I just hope they're wrong, because he's a better football player than Zay Jones ever was.

I'll also add Bodork to my cut list.  Carter looked just as good to me, and he hasn't tried to make a fake FG where none existed.  Bodork should have been gone after that.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Once Kroft and Knox come back healthy, SOMETHING's got to give at the tight end position.

They're keeping Lee Smith and Tyler Kroft, based on what they paid them. They're keeping Knox, based on how high he was drafted. I doubt they risk putting Sweeney on the practice squad, with how well he has been playing in training camp.

Smith
Knox
Kroft
Sweeney
Croom

Are they really gonna keep 5 TEs? If not, Croom could be the odd man out. ESPECIALLY since some of the undrafted youngsters like Nate Becker have been showing really well.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Once Kroft and Knox come back healthy, SOMETHING's got to give at the tight end position.

They're keeping Lee Smith and Tyler Kroft, based on what they paid them. They're keeping Knox, based on how high he was drafted. I doubt they risk putting Sweeney on the practice squad, with how well he has been playing in training camp.

Smith
Knox
Kroft
Sweeney
Croom

Are they really gonna keep 5 TEs? If not, Croom could be the odd man out. ESPECIALLY since some of the undrafted youngsters like Nate Becker have been showing really well.

I think you'll see Kroft on PUP to begin the year and the Bills will carry 4 TE's on the active 53, as they did last year (Smith, Knox, Croom, Sweeny). This will give them a chance to hold onto a young guy and not expose him to the first round of practice squad signings. Once they activate Kroft, they can then decide who the cut will be. This delay affords them a while longer to assess the back end depth at the position. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Who would want him? 

Someone else with a similar type player, looking to see if they can jump start a slow and disappointing career..That is the only way I can see it. Zay is an unreliable receiver who drops way too many passes. He needs to go one way or the other before he costs the Bills a game or two with an untimely drop. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Smith
Knox
Kroft
Sweeney
Croom

I believe Croom is the TE who gets the axe.  Next would be Lee Smith

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stenbar said:

Someone else with a similar type player, looking to see if they can jump start a slow and disappointing career..That is the only way I can see it. Zay is an unreliable receiver who drops way too many passes. He needs to go one way or the other before he costs the Bills a game or two with an untimely drop. 

He seems like a serial drive killer. I never liked him, and as more talent arrives his days will be numbered.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

There is no 'first round' anymore. The roster must be down to 53 after the 4th preseason game. They got rid of the 'cut to 75' or whatever it was a couple years ago. I suspect you'll start to see the roster size begin to slowly dwindle after Friday's game.

EDIT: 

Looks like August 31st at 4:00pm

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2019-20-important-nfl-dates/

it's so hard to see someone to cut..... right now.

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

My surprise cut is Zay Jones.  I've seen enough so I'm saying when.  The drop on the goal line is huge.  He just can't make the big play when needed.  I put McKittrick ahead of him RIGHT NOW.  All McKittrick does is make plays every time he gets the ball.  Others list McKittrick as the surprise cut.  I just hope they're wrong, because he's a better football player than Zay Jones ever was.

I'll also add Bodork to my cut list.  Carter looked just as good to me, and he hasn't tried to make a fake FG where none existed.  Bodork should have been gone after that.

Who the hell is Isaiah McKittrick!?!?!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/13/2019 at 4:11 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

No huge names but I’ll throw a few out there:

EJ Gaines (injury settlement)

Jason Croom

Conor McDermott

Edward Yarborough 

* TJ Yeldon makes the cut and Senorise Perry gets das boot 

I don't view any of those as a surprise personally.