Handwriting versus typing

MR8

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I actually take great pride in my penmanship.  Always have.  I can always appreciate beautiful cursive.

Watching cursive die is truly sad to me.

Penmanship and cursive used to be important when I was in elementary school.  My regular hand writing has evolved into a blend between print and cursive.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Penmanship and cursive used to be important when I was in elementary school.  My regular hand writing has evolved into a blend between print and cursive.

My penmanship changes based on situation.  If I'm quickly writing notes, it's cursive, straight up and down.  On the messy side, but legible.  If I'm taking my time (i.e. - writing in a card), it's cursive with a proper slant and it's nice handwriting.

Sometimes when I print, it's all caps.  Sometimes it's a mix between print and cursive.

16 minutes ago, teef said:

have you ever gone back to read your notes, and you have no idea what you wrote?  that was happening to me far too often.

Yeah, it's called today, yesterday, Friday, etc.....it's brutal. 

If I had a prescription pad, I could easily write anyone anything they want!

41 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I don't have time to look up sources, but there is considerable evidence that shows that hand writing notes commits the information to memory a lot better than typing

I believe that. Hand writing requires more emphasis while doing it...it becomes more personal.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m always surprised at how slow and tedious writing by hand is compared to typing. 

If I have to write more than a few sentences by hand, sooner or later I will find myself halfway through a sentence and I’ll realize that I just painted myself into a corner grammatically.  I have produced some weird sentences in order to avoid going back and rewriting. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I always studied by paraphrasing my notes in writing the night before.  Worked like a charm.

36 minutes ago, teef said:

i would do that too.  i loved writing in the margins of books too.  in graduate school, they decided to put every text we needed on a dvd, and it was the absolute worst.  i just couldn't study off a screen.

have you ever gone back to read your notes, and you have no idea what you wrote?  that was happening to me far too often.

59 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I don't have time to look up sources, but there is considerable evidence that shows that hand writing notes commits the information to memory a lot better than typing

I always did this, too, and it definitely worked.

My son handwrites all of his study material, then he types condensed versions of the notes - then he studies.  He started that method last year and it worked out very well for him.

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I always did this, too, and it definitely worked.

My son handwrites all of his study material, then he types condensed versions of the notes - then he studies.  He started that method last year and it worked out very well for him.

I never had to take notes, or even study. I could just pay attention in class and had a good memory to recall them come test day. It's a blessing and a curse. Worked great until I got into higher level math. That's stuff that you can't learn without practicing. So by that point I hadn't developed the habits I needed to learn it.

• Like (+1) 1

I barely remember cursive honestly. Other than signing my name, I've just never really had to use it. On the rare occasions I have to write in cursive, it takes me forever because I just have to recall it. I can read it just fine, but writing it isn't a skill I've really used in about 20 years.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

2 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

When I was teaching I'd tell students do the following things to help memorize:

1. Read it
  2. Write it
  3. Say it
  4. Type it

Each action uses a different path in brain.  A number of them told me that this helped them memorize.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

My penmanship changes based on situation.  If I'm quickly writing notes, it's cursive, straight up and down.  On the messy side, but legible.  If I'm taking my time (i.e. - writing in a card), it's cursive with a proper slant and it's nice handwriting.

Sometimes when I print, it's all caps.  Sometimes it's a mix between print and cursive.

I walked around taking notes on a clipboard for 13 years. My handwriting became gibberish to anyone other than me. I also have developed a habit of wanting to write the letter AFTER the letter I’m supposed to be writing! ODD! My old brain gets ahead of itself. On the messy side, indeed! 

40 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I never had to take notes, or even study. I could just pay attention in class and had a good memory to recall them come test day. It's a blessing and a curse. Worked great until I got into higher level math. That's stuff that you can't learn without practicing. So by that point I hadn't developed the habits I needed to learn it.

Same issue with me. Started college with Honors Calculus III (first one to every do it)  and to surprise of professor and department head did well.

Differential Equations is what tripped me up needing to study and hit a wall with comparative anatomy where memorization of large amount of information is required and my three years of Latin was not enough.  Should have taken Greek too. 

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My son prints (which is okay)... But starts from bottom up.  WTF is that!  Drives me wild every time I see it in action!  He's 21.  

Why don't you take a video of this and put it on one of the many places video's end up these days.   I think I would find watching that interesting.  

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I like to write in cursive. It is amazing to me how sloppy my handwriting has gotten over the years. I write very quickly, so that probably has something to do with it.

LOL  I do the same.   When I write slowly I have to think about writing properly

(or maybe its old age on my part)

So here is some useless trivia about why the keyboard is designed the way it is. It is actually designed to slow down typing to prevent jamming of the keys. Common letter combinations come from different hands. 7 of the ten most commonly used letters must be reached for. If the keyboard was designed today it would be far different.

4 minutes ago, Steve O said:

So here is some useless trivia about why the keyboard is designed the way it is. It is actually designed to slow down typing to prevent jamming of the keys. Common letter combinations come from different hands. 7 of the ten most commonly used letters must be reached for. If the keyboard was designed today it would be far different.

there are various layouts.  There was a change to a common QWERTY keyboard in the US.  

1000px-kb_us-colemak.png

In this example AZERTY is used in France 

0-Vuskup12-azerty-s-.png

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2019/01/10/why-was-the-qwerty-keyboard-layout-invented/#6a043cfb57ae