Jump to content
MR8

Handwriting versus typing

Recommended Posts

I’m always surprised at how slow and tedious writing by hand is compared to typing. 

If I have to write more than a few sentences by hand, sooner or later I will find myself halfway through a sentence and I’ll realize that I just painted myself into a corner grammatically.  I have produced some weird sentences in order to avoid going back and rewriting. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

 

I always studied by paraphrasing my notes in writing the night before.  Worked like a charm.

 

36 minutes ago, teef said:

i would do that too.  i loved writing in the margins of books too.  in graduate school, they decided to put every text we needed on a dvd, and it was the absolute worst.  i just couldn't study off a screen.

have you ever gone back to read your notes, and you have no idea what you wrote?  that was happening to me far too often.

 

59 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

 

I don't have time to look up sources, but there is considerable evidence that shows that hand writing notes commits the information to memory a lot better than typing

 

I always did this, too, and it definitely worked.

 

My son handwrites all of his study material, then he types condensed versions of the notes - then he studies.  He started that method last year and it worked out very well for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

 

 

I always did this, too, and it definitely worked.

 

My son handwrites all of his study material, then he types condensed versions of the notes - then he studies.  He started that method last year and it worked out very well for him.

I never had to take notes, or even study. I could just pay attention in class and had a good memory to recall them come test day. It's a blessing and a curse. Worked great until I got into higher level math. That's stuff that you can't learn without practicing. So by that point I hadn't developed the habits I needed to learn it.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to write in cursive. It is amazing to me how sloppy my handwriting has gotten over the years. I write very quickly, so that probably has something to do with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I barely remember cursive honestly. Other than signing my name, I've just never really had to use it. On the rare occasions I have to write in cursive, it takes me forever because I just have to recall it. I can read it just fine, but writing it isn't a skill I've really used in about 20 years.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

 

I don't have time to look up sources, but there is considerable evidence that shows that hand writing notes commits the information to memory a lot better than typing

 

When I was teaching I'd tell students do the following things to help memorize:

  1. Read it
  2. Write it
  3. Say it
  4. Type it

Each action uses a different path in brain.  A number of them told me that this helped them memorize.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gugny said:

 

My penmanship changes based on situation.  If I'm quickly writing notes, it's cursive, straight up and down.  On the messy side, but legible.  If I'm taking my time (i.e. - writing in a card), it's cursive with a proper slant and it's nice handwriting.

 

Sometimes when I print, it's all caps.  Sometimes it's a mix between print and cursive.

 

 

I walked around taking notes on a clipboard for 13 years. My handwriting became gibberish to anyone other than me. I also have developed a habit of wanting to write the letter AFTER the letter I’m supposed to be writing! ODD! My old brain gets ahead of itself. On the messy side, indeed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I never had to take notes, or even study. I could just pay attention in class and had a good memory to recall them come test day. It's a blessing and a curse. Worked great until I got into higher level math. That's stuff that you can't learn without practicing. So by that point I hadn't developed the habits I needed to learn it.

 

Same issue with me. Started college with Honors Calculus III (first one to every do it)  and to surprise of professor and department head did well.

Differential Equations is what tripped me up needing to study and hit a wall with comparative anatomy where memorization of large amount of information is required and my three years of Latin was not enough.  Should have taken Greek too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

 

My son prints (which is okay)... But starts from bottom up.  WTF is that!  Drives me wild every time I see it in action!  He's 21.  

 

        Why don't you take a video of this and put it on one of the many places video's end up these days.   I think I would find watching that interesting.  

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I like to write in cursive. It is amazing to me how sloppy my handwriting has gotten over the years. I write very quickly, so that probably has something to do with it.

 

 

LOL  I do the same.   When I write slowly I have to think about writing properly

 

(or maybe its old age on my part)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here is some useless trivia about why the keyboard is designed the way it is. It is actually designed to slow down typing to prevent jamming of the keys. Common letter combinations come from different hands. 7 of the ten most commonly used letters must be reached for. If the keyboard was designed today it would be far different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Steve O said:

So here is some useless trivia about why the keyboard is designed the way it is. It is actually designed to slow down typing to prevent jamming of the keys. Common letter combinations come from different hands. 7 of the ten most commonly used letters must be reached for. If the keyboard was designed today it would be far different.

 

there are various layouts.  There was a change to a common QWERTY keyboard in the US.  

 

1000px-kb_us-colemak.png

 

In this example AZERTY is used in France 

0-Vuskup12-azerty-s-.png

 

 

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2019/01/10/why-was-the-qwerty-keyboard-layout-invented/#6a043cfb57ae

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most public schools no longer teach cursive writing.  At all.  

 

The secret code of the future will be cursive writing.  

 

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MR8 said:

Anyone else notice when they sit down to hand write a few notes, that they can type for hours without a problem, but 5 minutes into a note and your hand feels like it's about to fall off?

 

#truth ... I have absolutely NO idea how I was able to handwrite papers in high school

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, teef said:

i missed this.  i don't have adhd, but i have the exact same thing going on.  my hand just can't move fast enough to get the ideas out, so it's shockingly sloppy.  i'm also a fast talker for that same reason.  i have a few thoughts in my head that i'm always trying to get to.  it drives old people nuts.

 

I find this shocking you must be writing a letter a minute because I can't imagine you thinking fast enough for this to be a problem... 

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

 

there are various layouts.  There was a change to a common QWERTY keyboard in the US.  

 

1000px-kb_us-colemak.png

 

In this example AZERTY is used in France 

0-Vuskup12-azerty-s-.png

 

 

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2019/01/10/why-was-the-qwerty-keyboard-layout-invented/#6a043cfb57ae

 

 

 

I wonder if in 100 years when writing is entirely done, will there be a great debate about changing key boards and forcing people to re-learn just like the debates that have been had about Metric versus the English system of measurement... which we are still the only country to still use, despite having officially "converted to metric" for 30 years... 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MR8 said:

 

I find this shocking you must be writing a letter a minute because I can't imagine you thinking fast enough for this to be a problem... 

 

I wonder if in 100 years when writing is entirely done, will there be a great debate about changing key boards and forcing people to re-learn just like the debates that have been had about Metric versus the English system of measurement... which we are still the only country to still use, despite having officially "converted to metric" for 30 years... 

 

In 100 years people will just have to think it and it will print 

 

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

 

In 100 years people will just have to think it and it will print 

 

 

 

you still think we'll be using paper.... you're soooooooo 20th century! 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

#truth ... I have absolutely NO idea how I was able to handwrite papers in high school

       I could write them, but I have no idea how anyone could correct them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MR8 said:

 

you still think we'll be using paper.... you're soooooooo 20th century! 

sorry I forgot to mentally say on a video screen 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

 

You must be a youngster 

 

We wrote with pen and pencil  uphill both ways 

 

Without spell checker too!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Without spell checker too!

 

a spell checker was a book they call a dictionary  

 

 

 

 

If I can't spell it how am I supposed to find it in a dictionary  ??

 

life was soooooo hard  :lol:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

#truth ... I have absolutely NO idea how I was able to handwrite papers in high school

 

The act of cursive writing puts a lot of pressure on tendons and muscles in your hand.

When you are young you get used to it and you strengthen them.

Your body also recovers faster.

 

When you get older you get things such as carpal tunnel syndrome and writing will definitely aggravate it and you do not recover as fast.

For me I have issue not in wrist but in pad between fingers and thumb but the pain is similar and cursive writing is definitely something which aggravates it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 4:42 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

 

I always studied by paraphrasing my notes in writing the night before.  Worked like a charm.

That's how I learned all vocabulary words in German class.

 

Just writing stuff over and over and it burned in.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 4:47 PM, MR8 said:

 

They no longer teach penmanship or anything like that in schools... 

A. My students all have Chromebooks to do their work on.

B. Teaching penmanship takes significant instructional time, particularly for many students with disabilities.

C. I only have x amount of time per day to work on a student's goals. Please prioritize for me.  Reading, Math, Science, Social Studies/History, being a decent human being, penmanship.

D. I, as an employed fully functioning adult in 2019 with a family and a mortgage only handwrite my name in my actual daily life. 

E. Those who wish to hold schools accountable do not test penmanship, therefore, instructional time is not devoted to penmanship.

 

I'm sorry if this comes off as overly snarky but I've had this conversation many times.  There are skills that increase and decrease in importance as time passes.  Right now, the importance of good penmanship is as close to zero as it has been since the Middle Ages.  We could teach the kids blacksmithing or make them fluent in Sanskrit too but it's unlikely they will use it much.  If all I do now is write my name, what are kids going to be doing 30 years from now when they are my age?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...