Rishard Matthews and the modern NFL player

Mr. WEO

36 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

What makes him a bad adult? You sound ridiculous. 

Go and familiarize yourself with his history in the NFL.  How at each stop he whined about his touches and walked out of camp and the  demanded to be released or traded.  How team after team, despite his petulant behavior, gave him another chance, only to see the pattern repeated.  How in a league where he clearly wan't nearly as good as he thought he was still paid him almost 15 million---and he STILL acted up.  And then, after the last team to give him a chance fired him after he walked out, yet again, how he blamed the league, the owners, and even his fellow players for his current situation, which he laughably describes as his "retirement".

Then read my previous posts.  Then circle back and ask me that question again, if it's still to unclear why I posted that.

Edited by Mr. WEO

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

https://deadspin.com/rishard-matthews-retires-from-nfl-is-happy-to-leave-be-1837189893

Here's a guy, 7th rounder, bounced around for 7 years yet made almost 15 million dollars (that's $170K per game and $67K per catch!) ---and upon "retiring" he decides to dump on the sport that made him more money than he earned. 

Mind you, this was the guy who, last year after signing a 1 year extension with the Titans, demanded a release due to lack of playing time--after week 3!!  The Titans granted him that request.

Just look at that BS he put on Instagram.  "Brainwashing"!!

A lot of these guys are really bad adults.

Here's the thing: only he knows how the grind of that profession impacted him.  It doesn't matter how much money he made or didn't make.  People always focus on money in these instances as if that makes everything else bearable; and the people who made the money should be quiet about whatever issue or observation they have because they were fortunate to make so much more than whomever.  Money is nice to have, it can do a lot of good, but it ain't everything, nor should it be.  Human beings have emotions, issues, etc.  Having money doesn't stop that.  

You also are hearing from someone who just walked away from the profession a week ago.  Catch up to him in a few years, when things aren't as present, and he might have things to say you would find more agreeable.  How many people quit/leave jobs on a day-to-day basis and, afterwards, complain about the place they left?  Thousands do.  And probably most of the people complaining had a check that showed up on time every two weeks.  Complaints might be about money, but more often it will be about how they were treated by the supervisor, co-workers or the company.  Like I said, that's not about money.  It's about humanity.  

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t know you but I’m guessing you aren’t a minority.  You don’t see how it is wrong to speak for how minorities grow up and think?  That’s pretty ignorant.  It would be like a minority thinking every white person was racist. 

Again, I don’t really agree with him but to say he can’t be wrong because he makes money?  It’s like saying why is someone depressed with a lot of money.   There are billionaires who just whine about everything.  Does that bother you?

Id say the biggest problem in this country is lack of empathy.  I was lucky.  I grew up with a very mixed group of friends.  I went to public and private schools.  I worked in rural and urban areas.  I realize most people don’t and this have a very narrow view of the world.  I have friends who have extremely different views than me on nearly everything.  But we can listen to each other and rationally talk.  Even if we disagree.  And while I don’t really agree with Matthews, I know the nfl is a scumbag league that really doesn’t care about its players.  

Not caring about your players isn't racism.  I also agree that they don't.  

20 hours ago, Logic said:

48% of the revenue goes to the players, yes. 

But that still means that 52% of the profits are being split between 32 men, while the other 48% is being split between 1,696 players. 

I have no idea. How could we know that?

Fair enough. I respect your opinions. As I said, I'm not looking for you to agree with Matthews, or to approve of MY agreeing with Matthews.

You know what they say about opinions...

LOL@ your opinion comment.

you have an opinion about if NFL athletes are paid enough, and yet you call 48% a tiny percentage, and don't have a 7 year old with a lemonade stand's understanding of profit and revenue. 

I bet all your other awesome opinions are equally well informed. 

14 hours ago, purple haze said:

Here's the thing: only he knows how the grind of that profession impacted him.  It doesn't matter how much money he made or didn't make.  People always focus on money in these instances as if that makes everything else bearable; and the people who made the money should be quiet about whatever issue or observation they have because they were fortunate to make so much more than whomever.  Money is nice to have, it can do a lot of good, but it ain't everything, nor should it be.  Human beings have emotions, issues, etc.  Having money doesn't stop that.  

You also are hearing from someone who just walked away from the profession a week ago.  Catch up to him in a few years, when things aren't as present, and he might have things to say you would find more agreeable.  How many people quit/leave jobs on a day-to-day basis and, afterwards, complain about the place they left?  Thousands do.  And probably most of the people complaining had a check that showed up on time every two weeks.  Complaints might be about money, but more often it will be about how they were treated by the supervisor, co-workers or the company.  Like I said, that's not about money.  It's about humanity.  

No, it's not just about the money.

The difference in this guy's case  is that he complained at every place before he left, not after. Then when he walked out on his final team, they fired him.

Again, despite his completely self-centered behavior throughout his career, despite his wildly over-inflated opinion of his skills and value as a WR, he was STILL offered another job--and still he acted out.

And now he's crapping on everyone else!  He called out all of the owners who kept offering him a job and money, he called out 4 different team's coaching staffs and he called out all of the teammates that are more talented than he is.  He's oblivious.  I bet all of his former team mates who read that Instagram post are thinking "THIS guy, of all people, wrote THAT??".

He didn't "retire" because his body was breaking down, or because he suddenly missed his family....he left because he wanted MORE targets, MORE glory, MORE yards, MORE TDs.  If at any stop along the way someone(somehow) had made him their #1 WR, he would still be playing,

Edited by Mr. WEO