Rishard Matthews and the modern NFL player

Mr. WEO

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed 100%.  I was pointing out that people who just dismiss him playing a game and not recognizing how hard it is to play in the nfl.  Most people couldn’t do it.

I won’t disagree with you there

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The one about the NFL owners -- who are already wealthy -- paying only a tiny percentage of their profits to the guys who actually lay their lives on the line for peoples' entertainment.

The one about racial inequality in America.

The one about there being so much ego and "fakeness" that it's hard to remember who you are.

The one about the money he's making no longer being worth the amount of time he has to spend away from his family.

I'm not asking you to agree with me or with Matthews. I'm just telling you that I think he makes salient points, and I have no problems with anything he wrote.

Sounds like a lot of whining to me.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed 100%.  I was pointing out that people who just dismiss him playing a game and not recognizing how hard it is to play in the nfl.  Most people couldn’t do it.

Wow.  There is so much wrong with this.

and I love god but the sad part of religion is some of the most religious people are the most judgmental people on the planet.  I was taught to treat people how you wanted to be treated. And that Jesus hung out with the outcasts and the helped out the less fortunate.  

"Jesus" is just an amalgamation of a bunch of different stories. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

48% of the revenue goes to the players, yes. 

But that still means that 52% of the profits are being split between 32 men, while the other 48% is being split between 1,696 players. 

I have no idea. How could we know that?

Fair enough. I respect your opinions. As I said, I'm not looking for you to agree with Matthews, or to approve of MY agreeing with Matthews.

You know what they say about opinions...

That is Bull  Crap all the way.  The 52% is then used to pay 100’s of additional employees - probably 3-4,000 people or more - like Chefs, coaches, trainers, administration, secretary, financial guys, security, lawyers, and support the NFL front office staff.

The 52% is spread a lot thinner than the 48% that goes to the players.

Yes every owner makes a profit and they make good money from the investment, but don’t for a second act like 32 owners take the rest of the money or that the players are not well compensated for their work.

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wow.  There is so much wrong with this.

and I love god but the sad part of religion is some of the most religious people are the most judgmental people on the planet.  I was taught to treat people how you wanted to be treated. And that Jesus hung out with the outcasts and the helped out the less fortunate.  

What’s really hard is being lucky enough to be born with the physical gifts of playing a professional sport and becoming a millionaire. And then spitting in the face of everyone that set up that framework lol.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I'm not sure how you got that I think we shouldn't help the less fortunate.  What I'm saying is we have been as a society and country.  It's gone largely unrecognized to the point that a minority football player making millions of dollars - albeit for something I couldn't do - is feeling wronged and racially divided.  We can't fix that.  

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

https://deadspin.com/rishard-matthews-retires-from-nfl-is-happy-to-leave-be-1837189893

Here's a guy, 7th rounder, bounced around for 7 years yet made almost 15 million dollars (that's $170K per game and $67K per catch!) ---and upon "retiring" he decides to dump on the sport that made him more money than he earned. 

Mind you, this was the guy who, last year after signing a 1 year extension with the Titans, demanded a release due to lack of playing time--after week 3!!  The Titans granted him that request.

Just look at that BS he put on Instagram.  "Brainwashing"!!

A lot of these guys are really bad adults.

This is what happens when a large group of poorly educated millionaires with an inability to think critically get their own megaphone.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, should feel bad for Rishard Matthews, the millionaire athlete, who got paid to work out, run fast, and memorize 30 pictures for 7 years and is now set for life.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The US is having racial problems because of Rishard Matthews and not idiot politicians who are playing to racist’s beliefs.   

I don’t really agree with him but he isn’t allowed to voice his opinions?  And he worked a lot harder to play that game than a lot of lazy people criticizing him. 

No one is saying he can't voice his opinion.  I'm saying his opinion is demonstrably BS, given his history.

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not sure why that is worth pointing out.  It's obvious but not relevant.  Most people could  not be a concert pianist or an astronaut or grand master at chess or Navy Seal.  Or a coal miner.  None of those are games.

So what?  He was lucky enough to be gifted with the physical stature and athleticism that allowed him to reach the highest level of employment for his profession.  Turns out he wasn't nearly as good as others on the same job so he bounced form team to team.  After the 3rd one of 4 let him go, he "retired".  If some team called him up and said we will sign you to 3 year deal to be our #2 WR he would RUN to that facility soon as he hung up the phone---we all know this.  This is why his rant is completely bogus.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

The NFL has been a huge ladder to minorities.  If that can't be celebrated then the issue is with the people that can't.  

Society as a whole certainly  is better than it was a hundred years ago for sure, but as of late there has been a good deal of back sliding by many Americans of all socioeconomic strata when it comes to race relations. We as a people, as a country, should always aspire to being better souls on our planet. That includes objectively looking at our own actions and inactions and what those actions or lack there in bring about. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No.  52% of the revenue goes the teams, who's owners than pay all expenses of running the team: staff/benefits/stadium/debt/taxes/etc.  Any money after that, yes, the owner keeps-because it's a business, like every other pro sport.

And when they sell the team they pocket billions.  

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

I'm not sure how you got that I think we shouldn't help the less fortunate.  What I'm saying is we have been as a society and country.  It's gone largely unrecognized to the point that a minority football player making millions of dollars - albeit for something I couldn't do - is feeling wronged and racially divided.  We can't fix that.  

I don’t know you but I’m guessing you aren’t a minority.  You don’t see how it is wrong to speak for how minorities grow up and think?  That’s pretty ignorant.  It would be like a minority thinking every white person was racist. 

Again, I don’t really agree with him but to say he can’t be wrong because he makes money?  It’s like saying why is someone depressed with a lot of money.   There are billionaires who just whine about everything.  Does that bother you?

Id say the biggest problem in this country is lack of empathy.  I was lucky.  I grew up with a very mixed group of friends.  I went to public and private schools.  I worked in rural and urban areas.  I realize most people don’t and this have a very narrow view of the world.  I have friends who have extremely different views than me on nearly everything.  But we can listen to each other and rationally talk.  Even if we disagree.  And while I don’t really agree with Matthews, I know the nfl is a scumbag league that really doesn’t care about its players.  

20 minutes ago, yungmack said:

And when they sell the team they pocket billions.  

What's your point?  How are they different than any other business owner in that regard?  Or any other major sports team owner for that matter?

3 hours ago, Logic said:

But that still means that 52% of the profits are being split between 32 men, while the other 48% is being split between 1,696 players. 

Fair enough. I respect your opinions. As I said, I'm not looking for you to agree with Matthews, or to approve of MY agreeing with Matthews.

And how close to a billion dollars did the players fork out to make that money...none.  I have no problem with the owners taking in that percentage given some of them have paid close to a billion dollars to have that team.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Exactly.  However, often minorities are taught to recognize racism in is as many areas as possible.  It was initially an effort in standing up for themselves and not allow it anymore.  For years the problem was to just get more black people to fight because they cowered for so long because of the injustice.  They knew they were going to face hard times for standing up and they certainly did.  Now they have a voice and are just using it incorrectly.  

It's turned into working in opposite directions.  The answer is to turn to God to help us but fewer and fewer people are doing that.  

after God made Stevie drop that pass against Pittsburgh, I've given up on him. Plus all those hurricanes.

6 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

There is a difference between revenue and profit.

ask him about debt vs deficit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

Also, does "modern NFL player" mean black and entitled? I think this snowflake post belongs in PPP since the OP's belief system has absolutely nothing to do with the Bills.

Yup. Precisely. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t know you but I’m guessing you aren’t a minority.  You don’t see how it is wrong to speak for how minorities grow up and think?  That’s pretty ignorant.  It would be like a minority thinking every white person was racist. 

Again, I don’t really agree with him but to say he can’t be wrong because he makes money?  It’s like saying why is someone depressed with a lot of money.   There are billionaires who just whine about everything.  Does that bother you?

Id say the biggest problem in this country is lack of empathy.  I was lucky.  I grew up with a very mixed group of friends.  I went to public and private schools.  I worked in rural and urban areas.  I realize most people don’t and this have a very narrow view of the world.  I have friends who have extremely different views than me on nearly everything.  But we can listen to each other and rationally talk.  Even if we disagree.  And while I don’t really agree with Matthews, I know the nfl is a scumbag league that really doesn’t care about its players.  

Wow, could you imagine living in that world?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

That's not exactly true. The money goes to the organizations, which supports hundreds of employees for each team, plus stadium costs, plus countless other costs associated with the team. The owners don't just put the money in their pocket and call it a day. They have an entire organization (including many employees) to support.

And let's be honest. Even if the slice of the pie does increase for the players, where will that extra money go? To the elite, already very well paid players. It won't go to the 7th round picks and guys who bounce around from team to team.

Please do not confuse irrational ranter with facts.

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

https://deadspin.com/rishard-matthews-retires-from-nfl-is-happy-to-leave-be-1837189893

Here's a guy, 7th rounder, bounced around for 7 years yet made almost 15 million dollars (that's $170K per game and $67K per catch!) ---and upon "retiring" he decides to dump on the sport that made him more money than he earned. 

Mind you, this was the guy who, last year after signing a 1 year extension with the Titans, demanded a release due to lack of playing time--after week 3!!  The Titans granted him that request.

Just look at that BS he put on Instagram.  "Brainwashing"!!

A lot of these guys are really bad adults.

What makes him a bad adult? You sound ridiculous.