Rishard Matthews and the modern NFL player

Mr. WEO

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

https://deadspin.com/rishard-matthews-retires-from-nfl-is-happy-to-leave-be-1837189893

Here's a guy, 7th rounder, bounced around for 7 years yet made almost 15 million dollars (that's $170K per game and $67K per catch!) ---and upon "retiring" he decides to dump on the sport that made him more money than he earned. 

Mind you, this was the guy who, last year after signing a 1 year extension with the Titans, demanded a release due to lack of playing time--after week 3!!  The Titans granted him that request.

Just look at that BS he put on Instagram.  "Brainwashing"!!

A lot of these guys are really bad adults.

A lot of which guys? This story is about 1 guy.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Logic said:

But that still means that 52% of the profits are being split between 32 men, while the other 48% is being split between 1,696 players. 

That's not exactly true. The money goes to the organizations, which supports hundreds of employees for each team, plus stadium costs, plus countless other costs associated with the team. The owners don't just put the money in their pocket and call it a day. They have an entire organization (including many employees) to support.

And let's be honest. Even if the slice of the pie does increase for the players, where will that extra money go? To the elite, already very well paid players. It won't go to the 7th round picks and guys who bounce around from team to team.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

As for "actually" "laying their lives on the line"--they actually don't.  They choose to make millions of dollars playing a game that millions of others play for free at many levels.  There are many people who, in their real jobs, "actually" lay their lives on the line (I'm sure you can think of a few, no?), not for entertainment, but for the good of others---and they will earn a "small %" in a lifetime what Matthews averaged in a year

Amen....

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t disagree at all. But we live in world where politicians act like bigger children than athletes.  Why do we have higher standards for guys who play a sport?

i don't disagree there. 

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

48% of the revenue goes to the players, yes. 

But that still means that 52% of the profits are being split between 32 men, while the other 48% is being split between 1,696 players. 

I have no idea. How could we know that?

Fair enough. I respect your opinions. As I said, I'm not looking for you to agree with Matthews, or to approve of MY agreeing with Matthews.

You know what they say about opinions...

No.  52% of the revenue goes the teams, who's owners than pay all expenses of running the team: staff/benefits/stadium/debt/taxes/etc.  Any money after that, yes, the owner keeps-because it's a business, like every other pro sport.

Most teams owners pay fully to the players what the players and the owners collectively bargained for.  Why a player would complain about that makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Weo,  football is not some holy thing to not be spoken against, it is just as filled with crappy people and situations  as the rest of society, even more so on some levels, calm yourself, the guy makes very valid points.  The NFL owners are not greedily rich for no reason.  Do you always get this upset when someone speaks out against their employers actions or methods? If you do so you shouldn’t. 

Well, good thing nobody is saying it then, right?

This guy suddenly decided that the organization that he spent his life aspiring to join and that paid him far more than he will ever earn for the rest of his life to perform to the adulation of millions, a game.

And when did he suddenly learn that the owners were fleecing of his health and vitality?  That his egomaniacal teammates were betraying their race? That the NFL was a brainwashing scheme?  I'm guessing it was soon after his performance in the Saints preseason game, after which he walked out of camp----and was then cut by the Saints.  It was an epiphany!  A real burning bush moment!

He's a phony.    In Tennessee and Miami, he's pulled the same BS--give me more touches or I'm out of here.  Now, on his way out the door, he craps on the league and its players announcing his "retirement" (sounds better than "just got fired", don't it?.)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Matthews played for three teams over his seven full seasons in the NFL, and had his best years in a two-year stretch with the Titans. He spent the back half of last season with the New York Jets, which it is probably safe to assume explains a lot of why he’s feeling so completely ***** and demoralized about the sport of football these days.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That's wildly inaccurate.

It also isnt a very good argument.  How many companies pay their employees that percentage of their profit.  Football may be an incredibly glorified job, but its still a job.   He is set for life for working a few years.   I am not going to shed too many tears for the guy.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, good thing nobody is saying it then, right?

This guy suddenly decided that the organization that he spent his life aspiring to join and that paid him far more than he will ever earn for the rest of his life to perform to the adulation of millions, a game.

And when did he suddenly learn that the owners were fleecing of his health and vitality?  That his egomaniacal teammates were betraying their race? That the NFL was a brainwashing scheme?  I'm guessing it was soon after his performance in the Saints preseason game, after which he walked out of camp----and was then cut by the Saints.  It was an epiphany!  A real burning bush moment!

He's a phony.    In Tennessee and Miami, he's pulled the same BS--give me more touches or I'm out of here.  Now, on his way out the door, he craps on the league and its players announcing his "retirement" (sounds better than "just got fired", don't it?.)

You nailed it.  I am not sure he is a phony, or just has a ton of growing up to do.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It also isnt a very good argument.  How many companies pay their employees that percentage of their profit.  Football may be an incredibly glorified job, but its still a job.   He is set for life for working a few years.   I am not going to shed too many tears for the guy.  

You nailed it.  I am not sure he is a phony, or just has a ton of growing up to do.  

He's a phony for sure.  Yet another NFL team gave him a chance and he walked out the building pouting.

This has nothing to do with the NFL, how it's run, who runs it or who else plays in it (everything he brought up in his laugher of an Instagram post.  Anyone familiar with this guy's history would see this immediately.

In 2015, he stopped attending OTAs and demanded a trade or release from the Dolphins because they drafted a WR.

I Tennessee, after signing a contract extension, demanded a trade or release after week 3.

In NO, after 1 preseason game, he walked away from camp and was cut.

He's never been as good a player as he thinks he is, yet plenty of teams gave him opportunity and millions to extend his middling career.  He quit everywhere he went and now blames football.  The balls on this guy.

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The one about the NFL owners -- who are already wealthy -- paying only a tiny percentage of their profits to the guys who actually lay their lives on the line for peoples' entertainment.

They don't do it for peoples entertainment.  They aren't court gestures.  

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Do people not realize that stoking racial flames actually makes race relations worse in america?

He got million to play a game and he tries playing the race card

Real racism would have never even allowed him to suit up

The US is having racial problems because of Rishard Matthews and not idiot politicians who are playing to racist’s beliefs.   

I don’t really agree with him but he isn’t allowed to voice his opinions?  And he worked a lot harder to play that game than a lot of lazy people criticizing him. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The US is having racial problems because of Rishard Matthews and not idiot politicians who are playing to racist’s beliefs.   

I don’t really agree with him but he isn’t allowed to voice his opinions?  And he worked a lot harder to play that game than a lot of lazy people criticizing him. 

I don't think I ever singled out Matthews ... ... and I never said he can't voice his opinion

But it ludicrous how much race gets brought up , I was taught to never see color so this stuff irritates me

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think I ever singled out Matthews ... ... and I never said he can't voice his opinion

But it ludicrous how much race gets brought up , I was taught to never see color so this stuff irritates me

Exactly.  However, often minorities are taught to recognize racism in is as many areas as possible.  It was initially an effort in standing up for themselves and not allow it anymore.  For years the problem was to just get more black people to fight because they cowered for so long because of the injustice.  They knew they were going to face hard times for standing up and they certainly did.  Now they have a voice and are just using it incorrectly.  

It's turned into working in opposite directions.  The answer is to turn to God to help us but fewer and fewer people are doing that.  

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is allowed to voice his opinions and those criticizing him are allowed to voice theirs. And how did you arrive at the conclusion a lot of people criticizing him are lazy?

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

He is allowed to voice his opinions and those criticizing him are allowed to voice theirs. And how did you arrive at the conclusion a lot of people criticizing him are lazy?

Agreed 100%.  I was pointing out that people who just dismiss him playing a game and not recognizing how hard it is to play in the nfl.  Most people couldn’t do it.

9 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Exactly.  However, often minorities are taught to recognize racism in is as many areas as possible.  It was initially an effort in standing up for themselves and not allow it anymore.  For years the problem was to just get more black people to fight because they cowered for so long because of the injustice.  They knew they were going to face hard times for standing up and they certainly did.  Now they have a voice and are just using it incorrectly.  

It's turned into working in opposite directions.  The answer is to turn to God to help us but fewer and fewer people are doing that.  

Wow.  There is so much wrong with this.

and I love god but the sad part of religion is some of the most religious people are the most judgmental people on the planet.  I was taught to treat people how you wanted to be treated. And that Jesus hung out with the outcasts and the helped out the less fortunate.