Josh Criticized for same throw Mayfield Praised For

BisonMan

Watching highlights this weekend, I repeatedly say replays of a throw that Mayfield made for a TD on a long pass down the middle to a WR in the end zone, who subsequently got creamed by the safety behind him.

Josh makes a very similar throw through a tight window that Zay drops before getting creamed by the safety behind him. 

Mayfield was widely praised for this score while Allen was criticized by a variety of commentators (including Tasker) for risking his WR on such a tight window throw with a safety behind him. 

Go figure. 

7 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Watching highlights this weekend, I repeatedly say replays of a throw that Mayfield made for a TD on a long pass down the middle to a WR in the end zone, who subsequently got creamed by the safety behind him.

Josh makes a very similar throw through a tight window that Zay drops before getting creamed by the safety behind him. 

Mayfield was widely praised for this score while Allen was criticized by a variety of commentators (including Tasker) for risking his WR on such a tight window throw with a safety behind him. 

Go figure. 

If he caught it he probably wouldve taken a decent lick, but he may have also scored the TD.  This isnt the 80s/90s - he goes head hunting and he's getting a penalty, a fine, maybe an ejection, possibly a suspension.

Edited by dneveu

One worked, the other didn't.  Mayfield also can do no wrong in the eyes of ths media.  Hell it was celebrated when he ripped a beer can open with his teeth and chugged it on the jumbotron.. That would have gotten him shamed for days if he were virtually anyone else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Go figure. 

Was he? I didn't see that.  I mean, I saw some crazy folk on this board do that, but not much from the masses.  I did, however, see multiple analysts say that Allen put it on Zay, and Zay's drop resulted in him getting hurt.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Some of you are very sensitive 

I'd like to say it's a growing trend due to the shift to outrage culture, but even in the 90's Bills Fans were sensitive.

Anyone have a link the Mayfiled pass?  I'm too lazy to go find it.

Edited by Element115

Yea I didnt see any criticism off this board, can you link to Taskers critiques? Id actually like to see them. I didnt see much negative other than a the posts on this board. I saw Cover1 and Baldy both say he put it in a good spot to catch the ball and Zay needs to come down with it.

7 minutes ago, Element115 said:

I'd like to say it's a growing trend due to the shift to outrage culture, but even in the 90's Bills Fans were sensitive.

Anyone have a link the Mayfiled pass?  I'm too lazy to go find it.

The Bills were 6-10 and Allen had a 67.9 qb rating.  If The Bills make the playoffs and Allen has a 93.7 qb rating while passing for 27 tds like Baker did as a rookie, the team and Allen will get plenty of love.  

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Go figure. 

I absolutely get your point, but not for nothing when i was listening to Sal during Friday drive time with Bull Dog I think he said that even the Bills, or some commentators, thought the throw was a bit late by Allen.

16 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I absolutely get your point, but not for nothing when i was listening to Sal during Friday drive time with Bull Dog I think he said that even the Bills, or some commentators, thought the throw was a bit late by Allen.

It was late, which located it behind Jones. Still should have been caught.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Element115 said:

It was late, which located it behind Jones. Still should have been caught.

No, yeah, agree Zay should have caught it.  However, I was just making a comment more on throw.

My bad, too, as I speaking whil only having a faint memory of Mayfield's throw this weekend, even though I saw it.  I just don't know whether it was late or not.

1 hour ago, BisonMan said:

Go figure. 

Good receivers make that catch.  That was a nice throw by Josh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BisonMan said:

Go figure. 

Great throw by Josh. Zays eyes came up before he secured the catch. Gotta be tough to go over the middle (see Andre Reed). However....its preseason. So Zay gets a pass on this one (pun intended). 

56 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

One worked, the other didn't.  Mayfield also can do no wrong in the eyes of ths media.  Hell it was celebrated when he ripped a beer can open with his teeth and chugged it on the jumbotron.. That would have gotten him shamed for days if he were virtually anyone else.

Maybe by the Amish