Josh Criticized for same throw Mayfield Praised For

BisonMan

2 hours ago, Element115 said:

It was late, which located it behind Jones. Still should have been caught.

I thought this at first too from the side it it looked back shoulder and weird contortion. 

Rewatched it several times to see I was incorrect.

End zone camera shows it’s actually elite ball placement, albeit in a tight window. 

It was definitely an NFL difficulty level catch to make, but throw was incredibly accurate on a frozen rope. 

Donald Driver comes to mind as a guy who catches that pass every single time for a first and goal. 

16 minutes ago, Bevis said:

I wish the Bills had Moulds as a rookie in 2018, he'd pair up well with Allen.

Another guy who makes that catch, and probably gets in the end zone.

Lee Evans is an example of a WR I do not think makes that catch. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

One worked, the other didn't.  Mayfield also can do no wrong in the eyes of ths media.  Hell it was celebrated when he ripped a beer can open with his teeth and chugged it on the jumbotron.. That would have gotten him shamed for days if he were virtually anyone else.

Except Josh chugged a beer and threw the can, at Mica Hyde’s softball game at Dunn Tire Park. Everyone there cheered him as he was on the Jumbotron. 

Just sayin

I think OP is being a little oversensitive in this particular case. Plenty of people have defended Allen's throw on the play in question.

Compared to Baker's throw, there's two major differences IMO:

1. Baker's WR got hit from behind rather than getting led into the hit like Allen's throw did.

2. I think Allen's pass was more accurate. He hit Zay nearly perfectly on that pass. If Baker had properly led his man, he wouldn't have been hit at all; it would have been a nice easy catch. Instead, he caused the WR to slow down and allow the trailing defender to hit him at the end.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Dat said:

If you actually watch the clip, Zay has his head turned and is tracking the ball as it leaves JA's hand, if it was behind him then it was on Zay (it wasn't unless his helmet was on backwards). If you watch frame by frame the ball hits his hands and his head is already turning towards endzone/safety before he secured it.Again on Zay. I have no doubt that Brown or Beasley catch that ball, score and are not badly hit. JA had some bad throws that night, but this one was money.

It was money if you mean on target. Should have been thrown earlier than it was tho. Had it been thrown earlier, Josh wouldn’t have put Zay in a position to get murdered. 

And before you get crazy, just know I’m a huge Allen fan. But that throw was a tad late. 

Still should have have been caught tho. 

The play in question was Allen's best throw of the game.  It was money.  An NFL receiver is not only supposed to catch that, but score as well.  That was a great throw.

Allen had 2 bad throws in this game.  He overthrew Zay deep and threw that 3rd down curl too low.  His other incompletions happen in NFL games.  Was Allen perfect in this game?  NO!  But he wasn't awful, either.  He needs to hit those throws I just mentioned, but the one that this post is about was a great throw.

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

If he caught it he probably wouldve taken a decent lick, but he may have also scored the TD.  This isnt the 80s/90s - he goes head hunting and he's getting a penalty, a fine, maybe an ejection, possibly a suspension.

I don’t think the DB let up, he would have taken the same hit he took.

Zay turned to look before getting the ball. That was a good pass.

2 hours ago, Element115 said:

I'm sorry but the debate here and around the NFL about this topic will not go away as much as you want it to.  Modern day QB's can't have a 50% completion percentage, bottom line.  Yes, it's not all on Allen, but a good majority of it is.  If we want the Bills to win SuperBowl's, Allen cannot be a 50% passer, not even for this season. 

Hey Mr "completion %"...you do realize that Josh Allen was 6/11 in the preseason game for 53%...yet if Zay catches the perfect pass by Allen, he is 7/11 with a TD for 64% completion percentage right?  So just stop already with this nonsense.

Allen cannot be a 60% passer if his WRs do this in the video for a whole season again...interesting factoid too...Zay killed Allens stat line in the first preseason game with that drop while also showing up in this video more than any other WR too.  Seems to be a pattern here ;)

PS:  Added bonus...Allen also had to throw a lot of passes away last year because his WRs couldn't get open consistently and his OL was not good.  Both were improved this year...that alone could easily boost Allens comp % significantly.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hey Mr "completion %"...you do realize that Josh Allen was 6/11 in the preseason game for 53%...yet if Zay catches the perfect pass by Allen, he is 7/11 with a TD for 64% completion percentage right?  So just stop already with this nonsense.

Allen cannot be a 60% passer if his WRs do this in the video for a whole season again...interesting factoid too...Zay killed Allens stat line in the first preseason game with that drop while also showing up in this video more than any other WR too.  Seems to be a pattern here ;)

PS:  Added bonus...Allen also had to throw a lot of passes away last year because his WRs couldn't get open consistently and his OL was not good.  Both were improved this year...that alone could easily boost Allens comp % significantly.  

Math is a difficult concept for some.  Thanks for emphasizing that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hey guys, if a purple username shows up and starts drawing you into a long stupid argument that has exactly zero basis in fact, don't let him dupe you. It's the same guy every time. He's had at least 10 usernames on at least 2 Bills forums over the past few years. Let it go.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

Good receivers make that catch.  That was a nice throw by Josh.

It was hardly a nice throw. There was nothing nice about it. It was late and behind, catchable, but not a nice throw.

Why are you all so sensitive Allen?

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It was hardly a nice throw. There was nothing nice about it. It was late and behind, catchable, but not a nice throw.

Why are you all so sensitive Allen?

No offense, but that might be single worst analysis of that play and throw I have seen.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hey guys, if a purple username shows up and starts drawing you into a long stupid argument that has exactly zero basis in fact, don't let him dupe you. It's the same guy every time. He's had at least 10 usernames on at least 2 Bills forums over the past few years. Let it go.

Like the one directly above Alphadawg’s post above?

Edited by K-9

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I dont see anyones user name as purple...who are you referring to