Greg Cosell Says Ed Oliver “struggled” and evaluates new Bills players in preseason debut

2 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

And this justifies them being paid for spouting ignorance?  Or more specifically to your weird arguments, that "being a homer" is disqualifying some of us from calling them out on their lazy ignorance??

Dude, you are seriously drifting into Troll territory.

That was evident from the first post...   

19 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I enjoy listening to the old and wise Greg Cosell breaking down the Bills with The Murph on One Bills Live.

I saw that he was on the show last Friday to evaluate the Bills in the preseason opener so i took a listen.

To my surprise he was no high on Ed Oliver’s debut.  He said he “struggled” for most of his plays especially when facing double teams.  He also said that Eddie needs to develop “perfect technique” in the NFL because he is too small to take on double teams.  

I watched the game and this was not the impression I came away with.  I did see Ed get taken out by Quentin Nelson a few times but he is an All-Pro and one of the best.  I was very impressed by his debut, as were many Bills beat writers and it makes me wonder whether Greg really watched all of Ed’s plays of just the few where he was rendered ineffective by Nelson.

As for the rest, Greg seemed somewhat reserved.  He mentioned some good things but also didn’t seem too impressed.  Even Murph was like “I feel pretty good about the Bills.”  But Greg did say, it’s important not to take away too much from the preseason - so maybe that’s why.   

He is high on Daryl Johnson.  This he can be a good edge rusher in the NFL.

Thinks Josh made some good throws but also missed a few others he should have had.   That pass to Zay Jones could have gotten him walloped.  Says he needs to work on that.

Liked Cody Ford’s debut.  Believes that the coaching staff is trying to find the 5 best lineman which is why they are moving him around.  

Thinks Vosean Joseph moves well but is a little small and thinks he’ll play behind Matt Milano and will have a tough time getting on the field behind him. (Greg actually talked about him and then 5 minutes later Tasker said “what did you think about Vosean Joseph?”  forcing Greg to repeat what he said earlier LOL).

Said Tyree Jackson struggled big time as well and has a ton of work to do.  

Puts over Singletary’s hard running, vision and patience but questions whether he can be a “power runner” due to his small size.  

https://app.radio.com/hiQaUPmN6Y

I found the blue quotes very informative and good input and very much a good sign for Buffalo.

To the red quotes I say Tyree Jackson anyone with football acumen knew he was extremely green and needed work this is no shock or surprise of any kind. To the 2nd who ever thought devin singletary was a power back? This to me is DUH he's as much a power runner as shady McCoy is...not his role nor forte never was.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I enjoy listening to the old and wise Greg Cosell breaking down the Bills with The Murph on One Bills Live.

I saw that he was on the show last Friday to evaluate the Bills in the preseason opener so i took a listen.

To my surprise he was no high on Ed Oliver’s debut.  He said he “struggled” for most of his plays especially when facing double teams.  He also said that Eddie needs to develop “perfect technique” in the NFL because he is too small to take on double teams.  

And Bruce Smith in his prime routinely got smothered by Bruce Armstrong one-on-one.  So Bruce Smith sucks.

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If he catches the ball the hit isn't nearly as bad as the one he took after he dropped it and fell to the ground. 

My point was there is no way you can blame that drop on Josh. He put it where it needed to be and threw it as quickly as possible so I have no idea what Cosell is talking about.

If I misread the intent my apologies.   

I for one,  am not blaming that drop on Josh.   

Those that are ...    lets just leave it there.   

I get it that Zay has a LOT to prove and there is negativity.

If people want to blame Zay make sure the blame is warranted.   

People are blaming Zay for 3 drops Thursday.

I do not believe that is an factual statement. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

On 8/12/2019 at 11:33 PM, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

so our brand new rookie struggled against All-Pro double teams in his first NFL outing?  BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funny thing is he didn't really struggle either.   Played less than a dozen snaps and had several impactful plays.   The one where he jumps to block a pass, somehow lands on his feet after Q pushes him back and then gets to Brissett anyway (ended in a throwaway pass) was brilliant for a kids first day in the league.

Cosell is useful to learn about other teams, but he's just another example of how national coverage guys have zero clue about Buffalo players.   

And what the hell was Tasker doing with that Vosean Joseph question?  Wake up Steve

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/12/2019 at 11:33 PM, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

so our brand new rookie struggled against All-Pro double teams in his first NFL outing?  BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a lot of over reactions here.   I listened to it and he said exactly that, it was his first outing.   He in no way said anything about Oliver being a bust, this is just a school girl reaction to him saying anything critical.   Same with Allen, although with Allen he has some more doubts but does not conclude he is a bust or anything, rather points out things he needs to improve on.   

18 hours ago, MAGA-Man said:

opinion trumps truth, laziness trumps hard work. We live in a world of off the cuff hot takes and reality TV. Efficient, truthful, well researched, balanced journalism is no longer desired by the common denominator 'Murican.

Interesting take, give your avatar...

I do enjoy how this fanbase, when evaluating the 1st pre-season game, overlooks such minor issues as the star starting QB for Indianapolis not playing.

It's pre-season folks.  Don't burn too much energy drawing conclusions.

Try to enjoy the game for the sake of the game, if you can.  

And be glad when it ends and no one is hurt.