Greg Cosell Says Ed Oliver “struggled” and evaluates new Bills players in preseason debut

I heard interview also. It was Friday early afternoon. Cosell said he went to the Eagles game Thursday night. I believe getting up first thing Friday morning to watch the Bills tape from the night before to be prepared for One Bills Live was not a priority. He probably watched the highlights. Maybe the first two series but not in any detail. He tried to bull#### his way through a couple of questions using basic statements from the past. Josh needs to work on this or that. Very subjective things. He’s usually a good listen but definitely wasn’t on his A game last Friday.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Or Does Logic say the NFL has evolved and more and more players Oliver Size and Donald Size going to be successful in the NEW NFL instead of the Slobs that cannot move and just eat blocks.

It's a possible trend sure, are we there yet? Nope.

Just now, Element115 said:

It's a possible trend sure, are we there yet? Nope.

Absolutely are hard to fully be there as there is only on Donald and One Oliver size and talent in the league right now.  Tell me how is he undersized stacking a double team fighting across an All Pro OG Face and making the play in the hole?

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Absolutely are hard to fully be there as there is only on Donald and One Oliver size and talent in the league right now.  Tell me how is he undersized stacking a double team fighting across an All Pro OG Face and making the play in the hole?

I need to find the Baldy breakdown and watch again, I can't picture the play.  But from the sounds of it I could question how long an undersized player could keep that up.

10 minutes ago, Element115 said:

That's kind of the definition of homerism.

That, or the REALITY that national media have no incentive to put any energy into informed coverage of a small market team.  They get caught ALL THE TIME spewing complete nonsense that proves they aren't putting in the time to earn their paychecks.

The all-time classic, of course, was Marshall Faulk having to make a weak apology for saying the Bills wouldn't be good b/c they needed to upgrade at OLT - when they had pro-bowler Jason Peters at OLT.

More recently, Nate Burleson apologized for leaving Tre' White off his list of top 5 rookie CBs after the 2017 season.

This is a pretty constant behavior, and since the lazy incompetent Faulk is still employed, I am pretty sure they all know the consequences are minimal. 

Reporting on the Bills is taken as "vacation time" by the nationals, and they usually mail it in with little to no effort applied.

7 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

That, or the REALITY that national media have no incentive to put any energy into informed coverage of a small market team.  They get caught ALL THE TIME spewing complete nonsense that proves they aren't putting in the time to earn their paychecks.

The all-time classic, of course, was Marshall Faulk having to make a weak apology for saying the Bills wouldn't be good b/c they needed to upgrade at OLT - when they had pro-bowler Jason Peters at OLT.

More recently, Nate Burleson apologized for leaving Tre' White off his list of top 5 rookie CBs after the 2017 season.

This is a pretty constant behavior, and since the lazy incompetent Faulk is still employed, I am pretty sure they all know the consequences are minimal. 

Reporting on the Bills is taken as "vacation time" by the nationals, and they usually mail it in with little to no effort applied.

Maybe they should win some games and this would not happen?  I mean the media guys you are whining about have NEVER seen the Bills win. Some of them not even born yet when the Bills were last good lol.

Edited by Element115

5 hours ago, Element115 said:

I watched Baldy's breakdown and he basically said Oliver was stonewalled all night.  I think fan reaction to anything negative about Oliver is just a bit over the top.  He's undersized, and so far it shows. Lets see what happens the next game! 

Baldy's breakdown was awfully high on Oliver's play so I don't wtf you watched.

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

lol, I heard different.  Sounded to me like he was inferring Oliver has a lot of work to do.

Edited by Element115

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I didn't think Baldy was that high on him at all, and I watched it. He basically said he didn't do much against Nelson and was mostly controlled, but still flashed athletic talent, which excited him. The main takeaway was that this was his first preseason game so focus on the athletic promise rather than the production, which was mostly negligible. He did almost get one sack, but it was of the vulture variety on a hustle play in which the QB didn't get rid of the ball quickly.

Regardless, it's all fine. He'll get better because he does have a lot of physical talent. He'll be going up against a lot of bad guards over the course of the year.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Element115 said:

Logic dictates Donald is rare, not that Oliver will have similar success just because they are the same size lol.  

That's kind of the definition of homerism.

Its not “homerism,” it’s pointing out inconsistencies between national analysts and beat reporters.  Compare the evaluation of Cosell and Baldy to Sa Capaccio and Joe B/Matt Fairburn.  They have different opinions on his debut

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Its not “homerism,” it’s pointing out inconsistencies between national analysts and beat reporters.  Compare the evaluation of Cosell and Baldy to Sa Capaccio and Joe B/Matt Fairburn.  They have different opinions on his debut

Do you think this happens to just the Buffalo Bills organization?  Or other organizations who have not won for like 25 years?

Just now, Element115 said:

Do you think this happens to just the Buffalo Bills organization?  Or other organizations who have not won for like 25 years?

If you are evaluating the performance of a player in his debut, none of that should matter.  If it does, it shows a tremendous bias for someone who is supposed to be an “impartial” journalist