Tell me about charcoal grills

Augie

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

4. There is a learning curve regarding temperature adjustments and damper settings (I'm still learning). However, once you get the temperature set, it holds amazingly well for a long period of time. You can start it before you go to bed and it will be the same when you wake up.

6. If you plan on doing any smoking, make sure you get a good thermometer. I used a wired blue-tooth thermometer. Mine just busted so I need to get another.

7. The lump charcoal is tougher to light than briquettes. They make fire starters that help, but I found it best to use a benzene torch.

4. If you pick up a DigiQ or another temp controller, the learning curve issue is over. It holds the temp at the exact setting you select, with almost no variance by activating its blower. Additionally, I place the temp probe at the meat location, so I know what the actual cooking temp is.

The dome thermometer that comes with these is quite off from the cooking height temp. In my Primo, I cook ribs/brisket/pork shoulder at 225. The dome temp always reads close to 305 when the grill temp is 225.

6. Simply have to have a meat thermometer for thicker items, like chicken, turkey, pork or steak. Not necessary for ribs, as the bone is too much a part of the feat.

7. I have no problem lighting lump using a chimney starter. I never use briquettes. On a typical 12 hours at 225, I use about one third of a 20 pound bag and it never is used up, and I never open the lid. Keeping the moisture in is mandatory.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The current leader is #3, a Vision model. Let me know if you see any pros or cons we should be aware of. The Home Depot version has 604” of cooks space, plus electric starter and a drawer forash removal (though one review said this also allows a very slight heat loss meaning you have to check it every couples hours, but why wouldn't you anyway?) for $700. The $500 version is only 302 sq inch of space, no starter or ash drawer. I don’t want him to outgrow this this over a couple hundred bucks. 

Doubling the cook space doesn’t mean doubling the size of the grill, but adding a second rack. That surprised me. Are they all like that? Does that create any problems with food access or run off of juices dripping onto the bottom rack contents? He’s eager to act, I’m still learning! 

https://grillguru.org/best-kamado-grill/?utm_source=google.optkms&utm_medium=best1&utm_campaign=Kamado.Grills&utm_content=V1&utm_term=%2Bbest %2Bkamado %2Bgrills&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr6rAxOSA5AIVBL7ACh209wAiEAAYAiAAEgI-9_D_BwE

Thanks everyone for all your help here! 

On 8/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Pizza on a grill?    
I guess ...  who'd have thunk it?

(some drunken college kids I bet) 

I had a friend who had a pontoon boat with a small propane grill that was installed to hang over the water. I'm telling ya, those little 99 cent frozen Totino pizzas on his grill, at the lake, were amazing!!!

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Looks like you've made your choice, and I'm sure he'll be happy with it.

I wouldn't opt for an electric starter, but that's just me. Looks like an unnecessary sure to fail thing.

Just a few tips on things that will come up.

Check the opening handle and band that surrounds the top regularly.

If the screws that hold it on come loose it can slam down when closing and that will destroy the top.

If he leaves it open, make sure the top is supported somehow on any windy day.

These are ceramic, and if it slams shut the top will shatter.

You probably don't want to think of this now, but most folks cook larger items on these, and he'll probably want a table. There are lots of ideas on various user web sites, and they are easy to make. I made one that my primo fits in, and it has wheels so it's easy to move.

If you do meals that require very high heat, like pizza, you are going to have to replace the high temp gasket that is inside.

There are high quality ones that are cheap and easily available on various web sites I replaced the original after one year, and the replacement is still good six years later. Again, they are very inexpensive and really simple to replace.

Again, I can't more highly recommend a temp controller. Temp control on low/slow is critical, and I absolutely rely on my DigiQ.

I set it and leave it alone for 12 hours. The controller dislplays the internal temp on the outside, so I never have to open it, which is sinful on a Komado.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, sherpa said:

Looks like you've made your choice, and I'm sure he'll be happy with it.

I wouldn't opt for an electric starter, but that's just me. Looks like an unnecessary sure to fail thing.

Those starters are always sure to fail....gas or charcoal, the first thing to go! We’ve replaced our starter on the gas Weber, but now I just use a long lighter. There’s a reason they have a hole in the front of the grill there! 

My son’s GF’s dad has a Kamado at a vacation house near us, so he’s used it there. The one thing he’s set on is the tray to remove ashes making it easier to clean. It seems like it would be a real pain without that, but then I’ve never even looked inside one, so.....

18 hours ago, Augie said:

The current leader is #3, a Vision model. Let me know if you see any pros or cons we should be aware of. The Home Depot version has 604” of cooks space, plus electric starter and a drawer forash removal (though one review said this also allows a very slight heat loss meaning you have to check it every couples hours, but why wouldn't you anyway?) for $700. The $500 version is only 302 sq inch of space, no starter or ash drawer. I don’t want him to outgrow this this over a couple hundred bucks. 

Doubling the cook space doesn’t mean doubling the size of the grill, but adding a second rack. That surprised me. Are they all like that? Does that create any problems with food access or run off of juices dripping onto the bottom rack contents? He’s eager to act, I’m still learning! 

https://grillguru.org/best-kamado-grill/?utm_source=google.optkms&utm_medium=best1&utm_campaign=Kamado.Grills&utm_content=V1&utm_term=%2Bbest %2Bkamado %2Bgrills&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr6rAxOSA5AIVBL7ACh209wAiEAAYAiAAEgI-9_D_BwE

My Weber has a starter that I've never used.  However, the ash drawer and the extra cooking space are WELL worth the extra two C-notes.

As far as the second rack, depending on what's cooking, he'd just need to be strategic with food placement.  That's part of what makes it fun!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My son’s GF’s dad has a Kamado at a vacation house near us, so he’s used it there. The one thing he’s set on is the tray to remove ashes making it easier to clean. It seems like it would be a real pain without that, but then I’ve never even looked inside one, so.....

I've never had a problem with that either.

Lump charcoal produces far less waste than briquettes, because briquettes have so much binder in them, kind of like plywood with all the glue.

Takes me about two minutes to clean out, if that.

My only concern would be if it adds additional non air tight openings.

That can be dealt with, but generally, you should have air vents at the bottom and in the dome to regulate temp, and no more.

Either way, sounds like a fine choice to me, but I wouldn't consider an electric starter in the calculus.

Electric anything, especially made in China, as that one is, don't like high temps.

Starting lump with a couple of rolled up pieces of paper in a chimney starter with no fluid of any sort is about as easy as it gets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

I've never had a problem with that either.

Lump charcoal produces far less waste than briquettes, because briquettes have so much binder in them, kind of like plywood with all the glue.

Takes me about two minutes to clean out, if that.

My only concern would be if it adds additional non air tight openings.

That can be dealt with, but generally, you should have air vents at the bottom and in the dome to regulate temp, and no more.

Either way, sounds like a fine choice to me, but I wouldn't consider an electric starter in the calculus.

Electric anything, especially made in China, as that one is, don't like high temps.

Starting lump with a couple of rolled up pieces of paper in a chimney starter with no fluid of any sort is about as easy as it gets. 

The bold is not something I would have thought of, but I did read one review saying that you can lose a little heat, particularly on windy days. They did say it wasn’t TOO bad, but warranted checking the temp every couple of hours and considering when placing the grill. 

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do NOT make me separate you two! 

I try to reason with her, but she always loses her temper.  I can't have a meaningful discussion with her, no matter how hard I try.

• Haha (+1) 1

Well my son is settled on which grill, only to be reminded by my wife this his birthday is in November! “But I’ll miss grilling season!” Is this like deer hunting or something? Bummer! 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Well my son is settled on which grill, only to be reminded by my wife this his birthday is in November! “But I’ll miss grilling season!” Is this like deer hunting or something? Bummer! 

Grilling season is 12 months a year my friend. I shoveled many a path through the snow to fire up the grill.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

Grilling season is 12 months a year my friend. I shoveled many a path through the snow to fire up the grill.

I have in fact done the very same thing! Uphill both ways! Then I had to shovel a little farther because the snow was over the dogs head and she needed her poopin’ field. 

To be fair, standing over a hot grill today would be miserable, unless there was a cool pool next to it. It’s currently a scorching 95 degrees outside! I like heat, but I miss having a pool today! 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Well .... which one??