Tell me about charcoal grills

Augie

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Ive used the “college kid” version for years when I was younger.   

Got tired of mucking with coals and what to do if you cook a lot and then need to add more charcoal while still cooking.   

The taste of new coals is bad.  

This is why I lean to my natural gas attached to the house. Easy! Fool proof! (Spare your jokes!) But I realize conventional wisdom is charcoal, if done properly, yields better flavor. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m glad you were fortunate to.....acquire.....something that pleases you! 

How does the Weber compare to Kamodo, etc? I hear The Big Green Egg is the Big Green Rip-off. Are there any disadvantages other than maybe a little additional cost? If it’s a BDay gift for the two of them, it’s worth not skimping if there’s a better option. 

He’s young, but mom and dad probably springing for this. He’s looking, and probably checking this thread, so no surprises here! Lol

The Kamodo/Big Green Egg hold their heat better than anything.  

However, if you want to get equal cooking space to the Weber, you'd have to drop at least $800 on the Big Green Egg XL.

I like to cook over direct heat and indirect heat, so I usually move all the charcoal to one side of the Weber.  Not possible on the big ceramic grills.

The ceramic grills are phenomenal for smoking and there's nothing easier to regulate heat with.

But if you're son just wants to grill food, practically, and get his feet wet with cooking with charcoal, I think the Weber is the best bang for your buck.

If the ~$1K range is within what you're thinking of spending, I honestly wouldn't blame you for going the ceramic route.  They are beautiful.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

MMMM, sounds delicious! 

I don’t mind being above entry level. Is there a competitor to Kamoda? Do they have a range of options? Something else in that range? 

You can get inexpensive grills with heavy grates, and you can get expensive ones with lightweight  grates. Heavy grates is the better choice, regardless of how much you spend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have a Napoleon prestige pro 500. It’s propane but you can take out the grate & sear plates then put in the cast iron charcoal tray and use that when you have time and want that flavor. Best of both worlds! 

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/cast-iron-charcoal-and-smoker-tray-67732

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Been propane for years.  

Went cheep this year $119 gas grill 3 burner. 

Blue Rino 

My wife has wanted a new propane grill “after season” and cheap for each of the last 5 or so years. Our old Weber came with the house (10 years ago) for a price. It ain’t spanking new and sparkling, but for propane it tastes pretty yummy! That old gunk is flavor in my book!

But it’s not charcoal. 

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

Leaning away from the college kid version. But not necessarily the Ritz Carlton overpay. 

There is nothing you cannot do on a Weber.  

Steak☑️

Veges☑️

Smoked brisket, chicken, pork shoulder, ribs☑️

Pizza☑️

Want to buy the deluxe?  https://www.crateandbarrel.com/weber-blue-performer-deluxe-charcoal-grill/s379523?localedetail=US&a=1552&campaignid=1366391504&adgroupid=54047509345&targetid=pla-306187085731&pla_sku=379523&pcat=HSW&ag=adult&scid=scplp379523&sc_intid=379523&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInorryNf-4wIVBud3Ch1e3wYaEAQYBSABEgIxFfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Haven’t done charcoal in 25 years 

It’s probably 35 years for me, maybe more! My son’s GF’s parents have a lake house they go to maybe every other weekend. Her dad has a ceramic (?) charcoal grill and my son is set on that path, which is fine. I just don’t know anything about these ceramic grills and the options that exist. I know they ain’t cheap, so I don’t want to make a mistake! 

1 hour ago, The Plastic Cup said:

Both is of course ideal.  We use the standard propane for ‘everyday’ grilling, but you can’t touch the ceramic smoker (I have an Egg) for ribs, brisket, etc.

This is the correct answer.

Propane grill for everyday grilling not and fast.

Komado for charcoal (lump, never lighter fluid) for smoking, pizza oven and wood grilling.  I have two types of Komado: One is a Big Green Egg and the other is a Vision.  Egg is better quality but twice the price.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

This is the correct answer.

Propane grill for everyday grilling not and fast.

Komado for charcoal (lump, never lighter fluid) for smoking, pizza oven and wood grilling.  I have two types of Komado: One is a Big Green Egg and the other is a Vision.  Egg is better quality but twice the price.

Why both the Big Green Egg AND the Vision (never even heard of that one). Did you upgrade because you felt the Vision wasn’t cutting it?

We have two.

The Mrs. uses the Weber for simple stuff, like hamburgers.

I use the Primo XL, a high quality, US made Kamado.

Lump charcoal only. Briquettes are full of glue to bind. That's the crap that's left over when they burn out.

I use a DigiQ controller for temp control, which is critical on low/slow cooks, and for anything I really care about.

For pizza, I just open everything up and let it get to about 500.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Pizza on a grill?    
I guess ...  who'd have thunk it?

(some drunken college kids I bet) 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

You'd better get on of these.

BBQPIG.01_PNK_01.png

How cute.

Do you have a matching one in manly colors??

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I agree the Weber Kettle is the way I would go. Looks like @Cripple Creekhas a fancy one lined up. All kinds of contraptions for Weber Kettle now..things to make it super hot for pizza, and some kind of contraption that regulates temps for low and slow too.

https://tinyurl.com/y4v9hflo

https://tinyurl.com/y2mdepjq

I have an Egg and Webber Summit Gold plumed to the natural gas line...use both about equally

Edited by plenzmd1

7 hours ago, sherpa said:

We have two.

The Mrs. uses the Weber for simple stuff, like hamburgers.

I use the Primo XL, a high quality, US made Kamado.

Lump charcoal only. Briquettes are full of glue to bind. That's the crap that's left over when they burn out.

I use a DigiQ controller for temp control, which is critical on low/slow cooks, and for anything I really care about.

For pizza, I just open everything up and let it get to about 500.

He’s looking at “Vision Grills HD series charcoal Kamado grill” in red now. It’s $500 from Home Depot. Is Kamado a style? Is Vision the brand? Are they any good? I hope it’s big enough! He’ll have it a long time in theory. Got him a cast iron skillet years ago and he opted for a mini instead of full 12” or larger. 

Edited by Augie

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’s looking at “Vision Grills HD series charcoal Kamado grill” in red now. Is Kamado a style? Is Vision the brand? Are they any good? I hope it’s big enough! He’ll have it a long time in theory. Got him a cast iron skillet years ago and he opted for a mini instead of full 12” or larger. 

Looks like a mid size

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vision-Grills-HD-Series-Charcoal-Kamado-Grill-in-Red-B-R2C2AX-S/306899776

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Pizza on a grill?    
I guess ...  who's have thunk it?

(some drunken college kids I bet) 

How cute.

Do you have a matching one in manly colors??

I think it only comes in pink, because..you know...pigs are pink.