Tell me about charcoal grills

Augie

My son is looking into a nice charcoal grill. As you may already know, I’m far too lazy and convenience oriented for such things. If I had room for both, I would have both, but I don’t. I know there was already a thread on this a while back, but I went back 20+ pages and searched “grill” and came up empty (but got some laughs looking at the old threads!). 

Any advice on what works best for you? Pros and cons? Anything to avoid? Best and worst brands? Best value? I know a lot of you know this stuff inside out. I know @plenzmd1, @CountryCletus, @Gugny and others are pros in this regard. Your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! 

Edited by Augie

Weber grills are pretty good... Get one big enough for what you need.

I prefer regular charcoal over brickettes, just better flavor IMO.

Pour a bottle of lighter fluid on top, let it sit for 5 minutes, pour another bottle on ... light it from a distance and when the firestorm ends, cook your food, if it hasn't charred already.

your welcome I think

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

Weber grills are pretty good... Get one big enough for what you need.

I prefer regular charcoal over brickettes, just better flavor IMO.

Pour a bottle of lighter fluid on top, let it sit for 5 minutes, pour another bottle on ... light it from a distance and when the firestorm ends, cook your food, if it hasn't charred already.

your welcome I think

Yes, do this if your are trying to blow yourself up and catch ***** on fire around you. lol. I'm assuming you were being sarcastic.

After your first put your fluid on and let sit for a couple mins, that's all you need to do. It will light just fine and burn just fine.

To the question OP I prefer charcoal over gas.Just gives it a better flavor IMO.I have a Kingsford Charcoal grill and have had it for 4 years so far, and it's been great and still is great.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yes, do this if your are trying to blow yourself up and catch ***** on fire around you. lol. I'm assuming you were being sarcastic.

After your first put your fluid on and let sit for a couple mins, that's all you need to do. It will light just fine and burn just fine.

Of course I was being sarcastic .... Kids, never do as I say ... Just don't.

• Haha (+1) 2

A lot of people avoid using lighter fluid.  They say it gives the food a chemical taste.  The TV cooking shows almost always use a chimney contraption to light the charcoal with some crumpled paper.  I’ve used a chimney for lighting charcoal, and it works but it takes longer than lighter fluid. 

• Like (+1) 4

I use Propane.  Just bought this at Lowes, 2 days ago.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-Commercial-Stainless-2-Burner-Liquid-Propane-and-Natural-Gas-Infrared-Gas-Grill/999981916

Wanted a small one, without that stupid side burner.  Good for retiree steaks (Sahlens) etc.  I know the "purists" who insist on charcoal won't agree but go ahead and "flame away!"   Can't imagine messing with charcoal. 

Just now, Marv's Neighbor said:

I use Propane.  Just bought this at Lowes, 2 days ago.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-Commercial-Stainless-2-Burner-Liquid-Propane-and-Natural-Gas-Infrared-Gas-Grill/999981916

Wanted a small one, without that stupid side burner.  Good for retiree steaks (Sahlens) etc.  I know the "purists" who insist on charcoal won't agree but go ahead and "flame away!"   Can't imagine messing with charcoal. 

I have both.

Sometimes time matters and I go propane, sometimes I want the taste of charcoal.

If you use lighter fluid, let it burn for awhile before cooking on it. When the coals are close to white, you shouldn't taste the fluid anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

A lot of people avoid using lighter fluid.  They say it gives the food a chemical taste.  The TV cooking shows almost always use a chimney contraption to light the charcoal with some crumpled paper.  I’ve used a chimney for lighting charcoal, and it works but it takes longer than lighter fluid. 

Absolutely this. Just plan your time accordingly... 20 minutes or so. 

I like Weber's a lot, one I've had 14 years, and the snake method is by far the one I use the most. Random chips around the top... never fails.

I'd definitely recommend the Weber for a first charcoal grill.  I went through some less expensive ones and it's simply not worth it.

Webers are about 200 - 400 bucks, depending on whether you want one with the work table and a charcoal bin (highly recommend).  Those are performer series.

They hold heat very well and are very durable (if taken care of; i.e. - cover it with a good cover).

Definitely don't use lighter fluid.  Yuck.  And I think chimneys are actually faster, anyway.  A decent chimney holds enough charcoal to cook on the grill for well over an hour.  Charcoal is ready to cook on 15-20 minutes after lighting it.

I, too, am a Kingsford guy, all the way.  

I'm sure others will steer you/your son in a far more trendy/expensive direction.  But I .... acquired ..... my Weber Performer about 4 years ago and I have absolutely zero desire to upgrade.

Happy Grill Hunting!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, mrags said:

Cheap? Weber

expensive? Big Green Egg

that about all you need to know 

Not necessarily cheap - it just may be a birthday gift for him and his GF. Want quality, and value. Something that will last. So he can cook for me for years!  ?

I last used charcoal in college with that quick lite stuff, or charcoal covered in lighter fluid, which is EXACTLY how the food tasted! 

I have two grills.  Weber Premium Performer.  I think it's the perfect everyday grill.  When it wears out, I'll buy the same/most similar model.  

I also have an Akron Kamado for smoking.  It's nice and cheaper than an Egg.  But my dad makes fun of me because its not an Egg.   

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'd definitely recommend the Weber for a first charcoal grill.  I went through some less expensive ones and it's simply not worth it.

Webers are about 200 - 400 bucks, depending on whether you want one with the work table and a charcoal bin (highly recommend).  Those are performer series.

They hold heat very well and are very durable (if taken care of; i.e. - cover it with a good cover).

Definitely don't use lighter fluid.  Yuck.  And I think chimneys are actually faster, anyway.  A decent chimney holds enough charcoal to cook on the grill for well over an hour.  Charcoal is ready to cook on 15-20 minutes after lighting it.

I, too, am a Kingsford guy, all the way.  

I'm sure others will steer you/your son in a far more trendy/expensive direction.  But I .... acquired ..... my Weber Performer about 4 years ago and I have absolutely zero desire to upgrade.

Happy Grill Hunting!!

I’m glad you were fortunate to.....acquire.....something that pleases you! 

How does the Weber compare to Kamodo, etc? I hear The Big Green Egg is the Big Green Rip-off. Are there any disadvantages other than maybe a little additional cost? If it’s a BDay gift for the two of them, it’s worth not skimping if there’s a better option. 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He’s young. 

Big  green Avocado.  

He’s young, but mom and dad probably springing for this. He’s looking, and probably checking this thread, so no surprises here! Lol

1 minute ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Heavy iron grates, not thin chromed ones. That is my number one requirement. The thin ones will rust quickly, leaving rust flakes stuck to your food.

MMMM, sounds delicious! 

I don’t mind being above entry level. Is there a competitor to Kamoda? Do they have a range of options? Something else in that range? 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

Leaning away from the college kid version. But not necessarily the Ritz Carlton overpay. 

Ive used the “college kid” version for years when I was younger.   

Got tired of mucking with coals and what to do if you cook a lot and then need to add more charcoal while still cooking.   

The taste of new coals is bad.  

• Like (+1) 1