Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Watch Clowney play and don’t focus on raw sack numbers. Look at tackles for loss, for instance. It’s where he excels. He is a truly elite player and doesn’t underproduce.

By PFF, he has been elite-level the past two seasons. This is indicative: https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/30/jadeveon-clowney-deandre-hopkins-post-blistering-pff-scores-vs-seattle/

Don't waste your breath Dave. I have given them the numbers countless times. He was the third most efficient pass rusher with over 100 snaps in the league last year - ie. the % of his pass rushes which led to pressures was the 3rd best. One of the players above him was Robert Quinn who was a rotational rusher for the Dolphins and the other was Aaron Donald. 

Having only 9.5 and 9.0 sacks the last two years is only a result of him being so good and so versatile that Houston (who have other guys who can rush the passer too) do a multitude of things with him. 

He is an elite player. I would absolutely love to have him on the Bills. I do worry a tad about giving a lot up for a guy I can't negotiate a new deal with until after the season though. If I could do what they did with Shady a few years back and work a new deal as part of the trade then it would be an absolute no brainer for me. Even if it took a really high pick to do it. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

No, only because a DE named Yannick Ngakoue (JAX) will be an unrestricted FA next year.

While everyone trips over themselves going for Clowney,  McBeane should have Ngakoue on speed dial.

He held out this preseason and does not seem to be too happy that he wasn't extended.

He is 24 right now so will be 25 entering his 5th season as an unrestricted FA.

He has 29.5 sacks in 3 years, almost 10 a year.

Jacksonville drafted Josh Allen as his replacement.

Jacksonville is 8 million over the cap in 2020 as of now (according to Over the cap).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/jacksonville-jaguars/

I'll take a motivated 25 yr old averaging 10 sacks a year to be my new bookmark DE to pair on the DL with Oliver.

Jax can't resign him without doing roster damage.

Why lose picks and get a rental that hasn't produced, when the answer to DE is a UFA next year?

And we can stick it to Marrone a bit.

https://www.jaguars.com/team/players-roster/yannick-ngakoue/career

(not updated for 3rd year)

Originally drafted by Jacksonville in the third round (69th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft

PRO (Games played/started - 32/31, 3/3)

• Made his NFL debut in team’s season opener in 2016

• Owns the franchise rookie record for sacks in a single season (8.0)

• Of his first 20.0 career sacks, 10 have been strip-sacks

• His 20.0 sacks in first 32 career games are the most by a Jaguars player in franchise history

• Led the league with six forced fumbles in 2017

• Earned his first career Pro Bowl nod in 2017

Except Ngakoue cannot or will not defend the run.  He’s a one-trick pony like Dee Ford and he wants to be paid $20 mil a year or whatever to do his one trick.  Clooney does it all.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Except Ngakoue cannot or will not defend the run.  He’s a one-trick pony like Dee Ford and he wants to be paid $20 mil a year or whatever to do his one trick.  Clooney does it all.

This. This. And this again. 

(Well except the Clooney bit...... never been a fan of George ☺️

Clowney >>> Ngakoue

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agreed. Ngakue and Ford could never have played Batman.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If he was a free agent I'd be hesitant to give him that much money but having to give up a likely 1st round pick along with that much money would be a gigantic mistake.

I agree with this ^^ 100% 

first round pick ( IMO ) should NOT even be in the conversation even if J C is willing to come in and sign a long term deal , 

I don’t think signing him would be a gigantic mistake , I think he would definitely improve our pass rush and I would love having him on this defense, my only issue with this is the COST , 

30 minutes ago, Putin said:

I agree with this ^^ 100% 

first round pick ( IMO ) should NOT even be in the conversation even if J C is willing to come in and sign a long term deal , 

I don’t think signing him would be a gigantic mistake , I think he would definitely improve our pass rush and I would love having him on this defense, my only issue with this is the COST , 

No one can sign him to a long term deal. Not even the Texans. He has to play on the tag this year because it past the deadline. He can’t sign a contract anywhere until March. Too much can change between now and then to be giving up valuable draft picks in hopes he decides to sign here. If signing him to an extension now was possible, I would be all for the trade. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No one can sign him to a long term deal. Not even the Texans. He has to play on the tag this year because it past the deadline. He can’t sign a contract anywhere until March. Too much can change between now and then to be giving up valuable draft picks in hopes he decides to sign here. If signing him to an extension now was possible, I would be all for the trade. 

But you can Franchise him next year, so theres pretty solid leverage to hold on him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

But you can Franchise him next year, so theres pretty solid leverage to hold on him.

Technically yes but tagging him a 2nd time is a huge weight on the cap and he will very likely hold out. He has no incentive to practice on the tag. Once he finally does play you are just asking for a hamstring injury. I like the player and am not opposed at all to acquiring him but don’t like the situation and injury history. I think in this case I would rather roll with the guys we have the year, let Shaq walk unless he has a great year, collect that comp pick, and take a pass rusher in the draft. Chase Young is very similar to Clowney - 5 years cost controlled and younger. Jmo 

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

I couldbe wrong but I think it is just the Texans that cant sign him to a long term deal.

I will look into it.

No one can sign him to a long term deal anymore . He has to play on the tag in 2019.

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

thanks for that clarification. I was for this, now not so much.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

No one can sign him to a long term deal anymore . He has to play on the tag in 2019.

I don't know if anyone tried a backdoor way around the long term deal - Bills trade a high draft pick for a Texans scrub player & "future considerations"   Texans remove the FP tag from Clowney.  Clowney immediately signs a long term FA deal with Buffalo. 

9 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't know if anyone tried a backdoor way around the long term deal - Bills trade a high draft pick for a Texans scrub player & "future considerations"   Texans remove the FP tag from Clowney.  Clowney immediately signs a long term FA deal with Buffalo. 

Has he signed the tag yet? He had not prior to the deadline. If he has, it can’t be removed. .

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That's true.

Plus, we're not exactly talking about a limited field of pass rushers in 2020 free agency.

In addition to Clowney and Ngakoue, guys that are currently slated to hit the UFA market include: Dante Fowler, Ziggy Ansah, Shaq Barrett, Markus Golden, Vic Beasley, Bud Dupree, Brooks Reed, and Mario Addison.

Then there are the guys with enormous, untenable cap hits like Von Miller, Calais Campbell, Chandler Jones, and Cameron Jordan.

Believe me, there will be options at pass rusher.

Now, that's not to say that the Bills shouldn't be looking at Clowney; they most certainly should. He's a perfect fit for this defense, and he's another chess piece that they can move around the way they have with LorAx, Edmunds, Shaq, and Hyde.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Has he signed the tag yet? He had not prior to the deadline. If not, it can’t be removed. It’s similar to the Bell situation because he couldn’t be traded either until his signed it which means he basically controlled his own trade destination.

He hasn't signed the tender.  I didn't see the rules where the team can't remove the tag if the player doesn't sign the tender.   My understanding is that if Texans remove the tag, he's a UFA.

56 minutes ago, ALF said:

Could the traded draft pick be conditional to Clowney signing a long term deal after next season ? 

Probably but can’t see the Texans taking that risk on their side. They would probably just rather have him on the field than risk not having him and then not getting the pick either. 

48 minutes ago, GG said:

He hasn't signed the tender.  I didn't see the rules where the team can't remove the tag if the player doesn't sign the tender.   My understanding is that if Texans remove the tag, he's a UFA.

I meant to say the opposite that if he did sign, they can’t remove it. Not sure where that stands.

edit: he has not signed it

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1