Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Why is that?  In simple terms, Sentence #1 speaks only to the tagging club.  Sentence #2, as noted in an earlier post, should have been much better written if the intent was to prevent a tagged player from signing a long-term contract with a club other than the tagging club after July 15.

Actually no. Sentence #2 is adequate since the restrictions on the Franchise Player ability to sign with another club are defined in the CBA as follows:

ARTICLE 10 - Section 1 Franchise Player Designations:
Except as set forth in Section 2(a)(i) below, any Club that designates a Franchise Player shall be the only Club with which such Franchise Player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract during the period the player is so designated, notwithstanding the number of his Accrued Seasons.

There is no loophole. Clowney cannot negotiate nor sign a contract with any other team.

NOTE: Section 2(a)(i) is for the Nonexclusive Franchise Tender.

Edited by RememberTheRockpile

17 hours ago, njbuff said:

What if Clowney was stuck on the Texans?

What would he do then?

I think he would have been happy up until the trade talk. 

He wanted to sign there long term and then planned to come up this week - prior to all of the trade garbage.

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think he would have been happy up until the trade talk. 

He wanted to sign there long term and then planned to come up this week - prior to all of the trade garbage.

Ths trade talks have been going on prior to this week, see the length of this thread.  If he wanted to sign long term he would have.  The I was on my way garbage is a ploy to not make him look like a selfish player once he sits out or demands a trade to the team he wants to go to.  He wants the exact money he wants, and to choose the exact team he wants to pay him.  The Texans royally screwed this up.

17 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

The contract likely would (at best, from the league's perspective), incorporate the terms of the CBA.  Which brings us back to this point - we still have a problem with the ambiguity of the tag language. 

You have a problem with the language- the agents, players, NFLPA, media lawyers, fans, writers - they all have the same conclusion since we are over 20 years with the franchise tag and this same issue occurs every couple of years with the exact same outcome.

The player either chooses to play on the franchise tag with his current or new team or sits out.  Not once in over 20 years - in one of the most contentious pieces of the CBA - has anyone interpreted the language your way.  

I understand from whatever job you have you think it is ambiguous, but much of the CBA is like that (see the Wade threads and the IPP language), but the finality and usage is also discussed during the process and these form the agreed to guidance from players and NFLPA.  

I get you might say try to fight it and maybe you are right, but until that either happens or the new CBA - that is not a valid option and what has been reported for 20+ years is correct.  Under the current rules as designed- he can only sign the financial terms of the tag with his current team and that is locked in for this entire football year at his time.  Once the year is done he is free to begin negotiations with that team on a long term contract.

My guess is you are totally missing a inter-related agreement in the CBA that adds to the understanding because it is pretty obvious that your interpretation is either incorrect or lacking at this current point and time.

26 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Ths trade talks have been going on prior to this week, see the length of this thread.  If he wanted to sign long term he would have.  The I was on my way garbage is a ploy to not make him look like a selfish player once he sits out or demands a trade to the team he wants to go to.  He wants the exact money he wants, and to choose the exact team he wants to pay him.  The Texans royally screwed this up.

Not true - we know he worked with Gaines on a long term extension that was nixed by O’Brien over the spring  - so he obviously wanted to stay in Houston from the beginning- yes money was important, but so was avoiding playing on the tag. 

We also know that he fired his agent a week + ago just as the trade rumors really started - meaning he was not happy with the direction he was being given and did not want to be traded.

Yes at this point the only control he has is his signature on the tag.  He wanted a long term deal, but after July passed he is stuck with only the tag for 2019/20. There was little reason for him to sign early because he gets nothing extra.  I think even now if the Texans agreed not to trade him on the tag he would sign right now and play the year out.

He is withholding the signing because once he signs the Texans can trade him to whom ever they want and there are teams - see Miami - he has clearly made it clear he does not want to play for.

From the discussion points it seems - ideally he would stay in Houston - then if they are going to trade it is Philly and Seattle- it seems obvious he wants nothing to do with Miami. If he is going to be traded - of course he wants to control the team as much as possible and I don’t blame him.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Clearly he agreed to sign his tender because Seattle agreed not to tag him again next offseason.

That said, Houston looks just awful for this trade.

A curiosity-

If he can only sign the tender and nothing else, how’d they split his salary and commit to a no tag? Can the tender have various tweaks to terms?