Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

@SectionC3

Since they closed the other thread.

Here is my response:

Is a journalist working on these things more knowledgeable than you who have read one section of the CBA.

Again - please show me anyone interpreting the CBA your way as opposed to the multiple reports over the last several years showing that once the date passes - the contract is set and cannot be discussed until the end of the NFL year.

I understand what you are saying, but you seem to be alone in your understanding and have nothing to stand on other than your interpretation.  

Here is another her article from when Bell was on the Tag last year:

Bell's contractual status

Players with unsigned tenders can't be traded until signed. I dealt with this particular aspect of Bell's situation while an agent. One of the players I helped represent was cornerback Jimmy Hitchcock. The Patriots informed us during the 1998 NFL Draft, after they used a first-round pick to select Tebucky Jones, a safety who would be moved to cornerback, that a trade with the Ravens had been worked out for Hitchcock. Since Hitchcock didn't want to be dealt to a team that drafted a cornerback in the first round, we advised him to refuse to sign his restricted free-agent tender. His refusal killed the trade. Hitchcock subsequently signed his tender for a trade to the Vikings, who hadn't used a high draft choice on a cornerback. Essentially, Bell has a de facto no-trade clause or veto power of a trade.

By CBA rule, franchise players who don't sign long term by the mid-July deadline are prohibited from signing a multi-year contract until after the 2018 regular season, which ends on Dec. 30. This prohibition on signing a long-term deal also applies to any team acquiring Bell in a trade.

Now just show me one recent article or point of view of anyone in the NFL circle saying he can sign a deal with the new team.  I get it you read the one section of the CBA on way, but I am telling you the people that may actually know something and have actual sources to talk to in the league office are all pointing out the same message above.  This is not the first issue with a player not signing the tag after the July drop dead date and these guys have a lot more information and data to draw on.

Sorry to keep ruining your day. ?

Edited by Rochesterfan

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

If he's only after the $$$ and the night life then sure, Miami is the front runner. If he is about getting paid good, but being on a team with the chance to win some games in the next 3 years then not gonna happen. 

P.S. - On a side note, is this going to end up like the Maclin thread? :lol:

Edited by H2o

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't understand why the Dolphins want him.  It seems as though they want to suck but then want to add Clowney?  

Their OL is atrocious, they have no QB and their plan to get one one is to suck, they are carrying over$40 million in dead cap. They won't be good for years. Feels like it is the owner's way to try to fill seats while they suck

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's not entirely out of the realm for the Dolphins to compete in 2020.... not every team is on a 4 year rebuild plan....

You're so consistently on brand. You never post a thing on this forum that doesn't just SCREAM "ScottLaw". 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1