Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Are we talking about the guy with the most single season sacks in the past 20 years for this team?

I'm not saying Clowney would be an amazing addition, but if you told me he'd be Mario, you'd be insane if you didn't want that... This defense plus 14.5 sacks (or even just the 10 that Clowney had last year) would be off the chain. 

If you think Mario was worth his contract, then I'm not sure what to say.  Mario was good, but didn't live up to $100M.  Clowney is an excellent pass rusher, I won't doubt that, but he too will not be worth his contract.  My thought is instead of setting a more aggressive defensive scheme, we're throwing money at the problem and asking (any DE) to win 1-1 battles with the tackle.

21 minutes ago, Big C said:

Mario was unfortunately dealt a couple bad DCs in his time here but for a few years he was dominant. Don't think he was a bad signing. 

No way.

Mario was a huge disappointment, who basically coasted through his final few seasons. 

I couldn't stand that guy.

2 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

No way.

Mario was a huge disappointment, who basically coasted through his final few seasons. 

I couldn't stand that guy.

3 years of 10+ sacks lead team in qb pressures tackles for loss and good against the run. Yes he quit on rex ryan.who drops your best rusher in coverage basically the whole game? Rex does. If he coasted for us .damn good coast Mario 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

If you think Mario was worth his contract, then I'm not sure what to say.  Mario was good, but didn't live up to $100M.  Clowney is an excellent pass rusher, I won't doubt that, but he too will not be worth his contract.  My thought is instead of setting a more aggressive defensive scheme, we're throwing money at the problem and asking (any DE) to win 1-1 battles with the tackle.

Blitzing and pulling people out of coverage is better than having linemen who can win matchups? Tom Brady feasts on teams who are forced to blitz him. For any 4-3 team the defensive line is an excellent place to invest major assets IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

And mario was a guy you circled which let hughes and marcell get one on one battles kyle was gonna be kyle no matter what. Think of Clowney hughes oliver lorax or T murphy in a nascar package with athletic Lbs and good cbs and one of the best safety tandems free to roam the field 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m really surprised that people thought Mario was a bad signing. He had 38 sacks in his first 3 seasons in Buffalo!! 

He’s like the “anti-Bledsoe.” Some people think Bledsoe was good for the Bills. After the 1st 8 games in Buffalo he was atrocious. Mario was the exact opposite. He was a dominant player until Rex messed it up.

• Like (+1) 6

28 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think you're wrong for several reasons.

For one, he was a top 10-15 pass rusher for most of his time here, which is worth the money. 

For two, that money wasn't being spent elsewhere.

And for three, that money didn't keep us from doing what we needed to do. Fans are so arbitrary to question money decisions without seeing the bigger picture. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This has the makings of Mario Williams 2.0.  Instead of a $100M invisible man, it will be the $135M invisible man.

I want the DE position to be upgraded, but I don't think Clowney is the answer.

40 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The dude had 37 sacks in 3 seasons and made 3 consecutive pro bowls.

Invisible might be the worst descriptor for him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This has the makings of Mario Williams 2.0.  Instead of a $100M invisible man, it will be the $135M invisible man.

I want the DE position to be upgraded, but I don't think Clowney is the answer.

You mean invisible in the multi-time prowbowl/nfl all pro type player?  

43 sacks over 4 years - with basically nothing the last year where no one gave anything for Rex (essentially 13 sacks a year before Rex ruined him).

That type of invisible - if I could get that from Clowney - sign me up.

Edited by Rochesterfan

46 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think the first 3 years Mario most definitely lived up to the contract.  He made those defenses under Jim and Pettine come alive with pressure.

He got sacks, pressures, and helped keep containment on QBs allowing Hughes and Dareus to make plays.

Yes his last year was a mess, but Rex ruined that entire defense and no one was playing hard at the end.

53 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Mario was ruined by Rex Ryan who had him taking on 300lb plus offensive linemen so the crappy Bills linebackers could make a play...or dropping into pass coverage. Instead of rushing the QB which is what he was initially brought in to do. 

Mario had 10.5 sacks his first season in 2012 under Curtis Modkins. 13 sacks in 2013 under Mike Pettine. Then 14.5 sacks in 2014 under Jim Schwartz.

In Rex Ryan's moronic scheme the next season his sacks dropped to 5.0. Even Curtis Modkins got 10 sacks out of him and his defenses were in the 20's.

Mario Williams made the pro bowl and was an all pro for Buffalo under Schwartz. He earned his money when he had the right coach.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Mario was ruined by Rex Ryan who had him taking on 300lb plus offensive linemen so the crappy Bills linebackers could make a play...or dropping into pass coverage. Instead of rushing the QB which is what he was initially brought in to do. 

Mario had 10.5 sacks his first season in 2012 under Curtis Modkins. 13 sacks in 2013 under Mike Pettine. Then 14.5 sacks in 2014 under Jim Schwartz.

In Rex Ryan's moronic scheme the next season his sacks dropped to 5.0. Even Curtis Modkins got 10 sacks out of him and his defenses were in the 20's.

Mario Williams made the pro bowl and was an all pro for Buffalo under Schwartz. He earned his money when he had the right coach.

I really liked Jim Schwartz. As far as I am concerned, he was the Bills next coach. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If you only look at the way Mario went out, you're going to have a warped idea of what he actually did with the Bills. It wasn't a home run signing, but it certainly wasn't a bust. He played a crucial role for what I consider to be our best defense in the last 30 years(2014). 

Clowney is a 26 year old with an incredible amount of upside. He's got all the talent in the world and has increased his productivity each and every year. EVERY signing is a risk. Look at Morse. Yes, this would be higher dollars, but you gotta roll the dice sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I really liked Jim Schwartz. As far as I am concerned, he was the Bills next coach. 

I wish!

• Thank you (+1) 1