Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

33 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Disagree. I think NINETY percent will be saying we need to draft a WR instead of a DE. They're right to an extent, but you could have killed two birds with one stone here. DE IS a MAJOR need going forward. We're talking about the most important defensive position. Hughes is aging and everyone else has serious question marks. The NFL is an offensive league, but that doesn't mean you neglect the defense.

Don't draft for need and overdraft players based on such need...(btw the DE better be a pass rusher and not a Shaq)

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Disagree. I think NINETY percent will be saying we need to draft a WR instead of a DE. They're right to an extent, but you could have killed two birds with one stone here. DE IS a MAJOR need going forward. We're talking about the most important defensive position. Hughes is aging and everyone else has serious question marks. The NFL is an offensive league, but that doesn't mean you neglect the defense.

I watched it happen over the last year. Most said WR is the biggest need heading into last season. It became an even bigger need as the season progressed. We signed two 30 year olds (Beasley is only 8 months younger than Hughes btw) in the offseason and suddenly the position is fine and DT is the biggest need heading into the draft. I like the Oliver pick but WR is still a bigger need. 

I’m all for a Clowney trade then draft a WR. I think some of the same ppl afraid to pull the trigger for clowney will be banging the table for a pass rusher with the first pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

So true.  Most here seem to think a big name WR is a necessity every off season.  IMO, that is a nicety, not a necessity.  Then some wonder why we can't get pressure on the opposing QB when the DE position is neglected.

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Don't draft for need and overdraft players based on such need...(btw the DE better be a pass rusher and not a Shaq)

Also true.  But I have seen too many calls from posters to draft a "top rated" WR with the first pick, even though it would end up being an overdraft.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I watched it happen over the last year. Most said WR is the biggest need heading into last season. It became an even bigger need as the season progressed. We signed two 30 year olds (Beasley is only 8 months younger than Hughes btw) in the offseason and suddenly the position is fine and DT is the biggest need heading into the draft. I like the Oliver pick but WR is still a bigger need. 

I’m all for a Clowney trade then draft a WR. I think some of the same ppl afraid to pull the trigger for clowney will be banging the table for a pass rusher with the first pick. 

My counterpoint would be that what you're talking about is the direction the team took and not what the fans wanted. I would have preferred they'd taken a receiver somewhere, preferably instead of Knox. We'll see with that guy.

I think I place more emphasis on the defensive end position than most. What I want from a defense is a high flying unit that makes plays. You gotta get in the QB's mug to make that happen. We absolutely need to address the WR position next offseason. But we've also got to address DE. I think we're talking about our two biggest needs going forward.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chemical said:

I think the difference was the 2019 Draft had a decent bunch of number 2 receiver type prospects. It lacked elite game changers at the position. A year out the 2020 class looks to possess those game changers. 

I think pass rusher and receiver are, at this point, equal needs for the team going forward and personally I have pass rusher as a higher positional value but you draft to the strength of the draft. 2019 was a brilliant class of defensive linemen. 2020 looks like a really good class of receivers. We will see. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the difference was the 2019 Draft had a decent bunch of number 2 receiver type prospects. It lacked elite game changers at the position. A year out the 2020 class looks to possess those game changers. 

I think pass rusher and receiver are, at this point, equal needs for the team going forward and personally I have pass rusher as a higher positional value but you draft to the strength of the draft. 2019 was a brilliant class of defensive linemen. 2020 looks like a really good class of receivers. We will see. 

Im prob a tad more optimistic about Trent Murphy this year, so I think DE is going to be a need, but i think WR will be bigger in terms of first round target.  

I think it’s quite possible the first two picks next year could be WR and DE in some order, and knowing Beane, he will stay true to his board so it will depend on how the draft fell too on which he took first.

But hey, if Trent, Cole and Brown all have good seasons, maybe neither position will be as pressing as they seem now.   

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im prob a tad more optimistic about Trent Murphy this year, so I think DE is going to be a need, but i think WR will be bigger in terms of first round target.  

I think it’s quite possible the first two picks next year could be WR and DE in some order, and knowing Beane, he will stay true to his board so it will depend on how the draft fell too on which he took first.

But hey, if Trent, Cole and Brown all have good seasons, maybe neither position will be as pressing as they seem now.   

Be careful about relying on Trent Murphy to be, and remain, healthy.  Guys on steroids tend to stay and get hurt more often. 

As far as DE goes, I think our best hope is that Beane nailed it with Daryl Johnson.

Of course all of this takes time. The Bills had several holes to fill this year, and between the draft and free agency, there are only so many players in the talent pool. In the 2020 draft, they can hopefully address the Wr position as well as DE. Clowney would fit well in this Bills defense, and with all of their cap space, the Bills could afford him. I just hope this regime doesn't become forever rigid and overly cautious in some post Whaley paranoia. 

Edited by Rocket94

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Be careful about relying on Trent Murphy to be, and remain, healthy.  Guys on steroids tend to stay and get hurt more often. 

As far as DE goes, I think our best hope is that Beane nailed it with Daryl Johnson.

Yeah his health is going to be the key and biggest question mark.  Im not so sure the steroid thing is why, that was quite a while ago.  But none the less, staying healthy is the key.  

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah his health is going to be the key and biggest question mark.  Im not so sure the steroid thing is why, that was quite a while ago.  But none the less, staying healthy is the key.  

We shall see soon. Murphy stays healthy or moves on.

Edited by Rocket94

9 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

We shall see soon. Murphy stays healthy or moves on.

Yup, if he doesnt hold up or play well, then this is for sure his last season here as a starter and probably last season on the team overall in that case.  

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

You will have Brown, Beasley, Foster & Jones all under contract at WR.

DE we will have 30+ Hughes and possibly Murphy if he isn’t terrible this year. Lawson is gone, and the depth guys are nothing special. 

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Would you guys stop using this thread to debate real stuff and get back on track with the baseless rumor mongering? Seriously. What does a guy have to do to get a fake rumor around here.

I still think the Clowney for Risto deal has legs....

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

You will have Brown, Beasley, Foster & Jones all under contract at WR.

DE we will have 30+ Hughes and possibly Murphy if he isn’t terrible this year. Lawson is gone, and the depth guys are nothing special. 

Yeah. I still want more talent at WR. That unit looks good in comparison to last season, but it's average at best. Agree 100% regarding the DE group.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Chemical said:

Just wait til next offseason or even sooner. 80% of this board will be saying we need to draft a DE instead of a WR. 

That's why I'm willing to spend a 2020 2nd on Clowney, so we can take best WR available in the 1st.

Boom, get both studs.

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Of course all of this takes time. The Bills had several holes to fill this year, and between the draft and free agency, there are only so many players in the talent pool. In the 2020 draft, they can hopefully address the Wr position as well as DE. Clowney would fit well in this Bills defense, and with all of their cap space, the Bills could afford him. I just hope this regime doesn't become forever rigid and overly cautious in some post Whaley paranoia. 

I guarantee that Beane doesnt worry one bit about anything Whaley did possibly reflecting or influencing his decisions going forward. And while Beane has been building through the draft and accumulating picks, he has already shown he's willing to wheel and deal when the situation is right.

After these first couple of years building through the draft and getting some Cap room, I expect him to make some big deals in 2020 and beyond.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's why I'm willing to spend a 2020 2nd on Clowney, so we can take best WR available in the 1st.

Boom, get both studs.

That was the consensus among some, get Clowney instead of drafting a DE. He is an established and still young player.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Boom, get both studs.

I guarantee that Beane doesnt worry one bit about anything Whaley did possibly reflecting or influencing his decisions going forward. And while Beane has been building through the draft and accumulating picks, he has already shown he's willing to wheel and deal when the situation is right.

After these first couple of years building through the draft and getting some Cap room, I expect him to make some big deals in 2020 and beyond.

I hope so as well. There will be plenty of cap room to spare. The reward for cap space is the ability to get good players.

• Like (+1) 1