Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm saying I'm not afraid of the Bills making moves with modest future draft capital to try to become a SB contender now.

On paper the 2019 Bills may seem light versus the incumbent SB favorites but anyone who thinks that the 1990-1991 Bills went in SB XXV as the biggest SB favorite ever after 12 months of expectations of them dominating as they did are wrong.   The organization was considered a dysfunctional mess and an afterthought heading into that season.   The 1989 Niners were considered possibly the greatest team in NFL history at the time and were overwhelming favorites heading into that season.   It was supposed to be them and 29 also-rans.  Things can change.

A first round pick for Clowney is too rich for me but take a look at the Bills history of 2nd and 3rd round picks.    There are more Zay Jones and Reggie Ragnuts and more John Millers and Preston Browns than there are difference makers.  

Copying the worst mistakes of a good team is not a way to get better.

...and saying that 2nd and 3rd round picks have no value because of history is downright idiotic... And 8/10 2nd round picks by the Bills the last 10 years are current NFL starters.

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

...and saying that 2nd and 3rd round picks have no value because of history is downright idiotic... And 8/10 2nd round picks by the Bills the last 10 years are current NFL starters.

also....what if PFF is right and Ty's grade really does make him a Top 10 type RT? Doesn't he give us a chance to get our best 5 on the field and for what cost, 1 year of a great pass rush on great defense at the expense of a mediocre offense. 

1 minute ago, Locomark said:

also....what if PFF is right and Ty's grade really does make him a Top 10 type RT? Doesn't he give us a chance to get our best 5 on the field and for what cost, 1 year of a great pass rush on great defense at the expense of a mediocre offense. 

I actually really like Clowney, and think he would do good here...

...but there are red flags when the team who drafted him #1overall isn't willing to give him a 2nd contract.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, unbillievable said:

...but there are red flags when the team who drafted him #1overall isn't willing to give him a 2nd contract.

We are not talking about the most high-functioning organization in the league. Mario was also picked #1 overall 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The chances of the Bills getting a player like Clowney with a 2nd or 3rd round pick is slim to none.

I think the Texans and Clowney think he is worth Mack compensation in picks and money. I see another Lev'eon Bell situation happening.

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

We are not talking about the most high-functioning organization in the league. Mario was also picked #1 overall 

They gave Mario a 2nd contract. And they let him go when they hit cap hell.

The current Texans have 36 mil in space.

• Thank you (+1) 1

In all seriousness, rumors and INCARCERATED BOB tweets aside... why was Nsekhe held out of practice? Maybe YE OLE is behind on the inner workings of this story, but is it still the case that nobody has asked about this and it hasn’t been addressed by the team? 

Clowney aside, it’s a bizarre situation not to address at all.

28 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I never said those picks have "no value" straw man......... but there are zero proven difference makers on that list of 10 second round picks...........it's a who's who of guys who you can get cheap in free agency to fill a need and usually at a position of lesser value.

If you think your team can be competitive you don't pass on even one season of a difference making pass rusher to save 4 seasons of Preston Brown or Zay Jones.

Edit ONE difference maker in Bob Woods...........out of 10 years.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

In all seriousness, rumors and INCARCERATED BOB tweets aside... why was Nsekhe held out of practice? Maybe YE OLE is behind on the inner workings of this story, but is it still the case that nobody has asked about this and it hasn’t been addressed by the team? 

It was speculated that he might have violated curfew, or some other team rule.

Victim of the process...

27 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Not really that bizarre. There have been no coaches available to the media since then to ask other than Frazier, who would not have been the right coach to ask. I’m sure they will ask McDermott next time he’s available. Today it was Daboll before practice and Frazier after. 

22 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Really? The depth on this roster is near the top of the league. We still have, in this scenario (a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th) and the most cap space in the league. We have better TE depth than we’ve had since the mid 90’s (and maybe better) and added 9 OL. LB depth is young but not weak. Where do you draft a depth LB? Round 4? Good, because we still have that. If you have concerns about the roster development moving forward I don’t know what to tell you. They are in as good a position as any team moving forward. They have young (cheap talent), the most cap space in the league and depth all over (especially on d). They need some top end talent but they have the resources to do that.

Come on now, that is SERIOUS Homerism.  

I'm fine for getting Clowney, but there's plenty of room for improvement with this roster.

TE has exactly zero proven talent outside of Lee Smith, you are assuming two rookies and a guy with half a good season are "the best in years" 

The depth behind Zo is weak and young, so you are going to need to draft one to start, ie 2nd round next year or you are signing one. 

On to the cap space, you are still not attracting superstars to Buffalo NY without the potential of winning a SB.  This team can't beat the Pats, nor likely even manage to get to a WC game.. so who cares what cap space you have?  It's shown already, your signings here are injury riddled guys who are still getting over paid to come. 

Unless Allen makes a HUGE leap, this team is going no where.  Thats going to be difficult with no body of real talent to throw to.

40 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Yeah it says they are smart enough to realize they gave Watt a huge deal and still cant win ***** because offense wins in this league and they're not dumping 22M a year into it again.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I'm fine for getting Clowney, but there's plenty of room for improvement with this roster.

TE has exactly zero proven talent outside of Lee Smith, you are assuming two rookies and a guy with half a good season are "the best in years" 

The depth behind Zo is weak and young, so you are going to need to draft one to start, ie 2nd round next year or you are signing one. 

On to the cap space, you are still not attracting superstars to Buffalo NY without the potential of winning a SB.  This team can't beat the Pats, nor likely even manage to get to a WC game.. so who cares what cap space you have?  It's shown already, your signings here are injury riddled guys who are still getting over paid to come. 

Unless Allen makes a HUGE leap, this team is going no where.  Thats going to be difficult with no body of real talent to throw to.

This team just traded up to draft a TE in the top 96 picks. He’s, physically, as gifted as pretty much any TE that they have ever had. He doesn’t have a resume but physically stacks up with any TE. They signed another TE to a $19M deal. He caught 7 TDs in 2017. They added back Smith and used a pick on Sweeney. They had Jason Croom playing a lot last year. He’s 5th in this group. The depth is greatly improved there.

Corey Thompson has had a big camp. He can potentially develop into a starter. He’s young. If not, you can try to squeeze another season out of Zo, sign someone else or draft a guy. Milano and Edmunds are 3 down guys. If Zo wasn’t so effective a lot of those snaps would be eaten up by an extra DB. It’s probably a “big nickel” type like Siran Neal. He played CB, S and LB in college. I think Jaquan Johnson did as well.

They signed the most FAs in the NFL this year (at least they had through the first month). With the new facility and their reputation the Bills have had ZERO issue in attracting free agents. That’s a lazy (and wrong) take. The Bills have an open window with their best talents on rookie contracts. This is the EXACT time that you spend to attract top talent. 

We do agree that Josh needs to continue to develop. We also agree that he needs a number 1 target. With that being said the guys that he’s throwing to this year are MILES ahead of the guys that he had last year (hence roster depth). I expect the 1st round pick to be used on a number 1 receiver. While Jerry Jeudy is a dream they won’t get a shot at him. Shenault or Lamb or Higgins could all fill that role. 

Not really a homer at all, I’m just a realist. The middle to back of the Bills roster is really strong. They need stars and top end talent. This isn’t going to be a year where they sign 18 FAs again (or whatever it was). They are going to target some impact players (ie Clowney) and pull the trigger. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah it says they are smart enough to realize they gave Watt a huge deal and still cant win ***** because offense wins in this league and they're not dumping 22M a year into it again.

Oh, you’re a real charmer! You’re gonna do well here. I have a sense about these things.

• Haha (+1) 5

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not really that bizarre. There have been no coaches available to the media since then to ask other than Frazier, who would not have been the right coach to ask. I’m sure they will ask McDermott next time he’s available. Today it was Daboll before practice and Frazier after. 

YOLO, my good friend, thank you for the clarification. YE OLE needs to know who knew Nsekhe was being held out and when they knew it!

40 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Good post @Kirby Jackson... My only counter is that it is still a lot of unproven young depth, but there's really not a way to avoid that. Good teams have young players throughout with some marque veterans and a couple superstars. 

That’s totally fair. I think that’s part of the reason that the Bills added so many guys via the draft and FA over the last few years. They were trying to get more bites at the apple. As an example, I’m not sure if Long or Feliciano or even Spain are that good. Instead of adding one and hoping that they were good the Bills brought them all in to increase their chances of one or 2 being good. It’s the same thing at TE. They brought in 2 vets and drafted 2 more. They all come with questions but you increase your odds by increasing the bodies. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll address the issues but you are certainly more likely too.