Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

27 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Never rely on a handshake agreement.

I can imagine what Rams' fans feel about the Watkins 1yr rental.

So you trade Nsekhe & a 2nd. You can always tag him. If you decide not to you get him for a year and a 3rd round comp pick the next year.

Also, Clowney functionally has a no-trade clause. He has to agree to the tender before getting traded. If he doesn’t like the destination he won’t go. Gaine wanted him extended and that’s part of the reason he is gone. If Clowney does agree to come here there’s a VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY good chance that the Bills and his agent have discussed the parameters of a deal. Gaine already knows what it will take. If the Bills trade for him it’s because they are comfortable with that number.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

?

This is going to turn out to be nothing and they are going to tweet out (after all the backlash):

"Why So Serious!?"

It's their big plan.

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is going to turn out to be nothing and they are going to tweet out (after all the backlash):

"Why So Serious!?"

It's their big plan.

They will have gained a whole ton of followers in the process too 

Even if by some miracle this is true, I'm not sure I'd like the idea of trading Ty away. As another poster pointed out, he chose to come to Buffalo, doesn't seem right to just ship him off given his choice of helping this team get better. Also, I was starting to get fond of the idea of having 2 maulers on the right side of the line. I can't remember the last time the right side even showed promise like this. To me, Clowney hasn't played up to his draft status, and apparently he has an injury history, hell we already have that in Murphy and by some reports, he's made good strides getting back to his old form. If Beane chooses to make the trade, I'll support it, but I will wonder how it'll affect this O line going forward

I admit to thinking he’d be overpriced and has underproduced. I have ZERO basis for that, since I very rarely see a play from a Texans game. I’ll listen to @Kirby Jackson and @GunnerBill since they know far more than I do on the subject and have made very reasonable arguments. If Beane agrees and can get it done, I’ll be 100% on board.

I know my approval will help the FO sleep well at night.  ?

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Augie said:

I admit too thinking he’d be overpriced and has underproduced. I have ZERO basis for that, since I very rarely see a play from a Texans game. I’ll listen to @Kirby Jackson and @GunnerBill since they know far more than I do on the subject and have made very reasonable arguments. If Beane agrees and can get it done, I’ll be 100% on board.

I know my approval will help the FO sleep well at night.  ?

Ultimately, I think it’d come down to what you think of a guy like mario. Pricey, and not huge sack numbers but excellent all around player and freakish athlete that can get a power rush from the edge while maintaining responsibilities in the run game, or even athletic enough to drop. 

In a 43 scheme like ours, those guys are great for being both productive while also freeing up other all over the field. Only so many can do it all instead of just being speed off the edge or stout vs the run. 

Hes not a guy I break the bank for if paying a qb already but in this situation his a textbook fit for us I think 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Even if by some miracle this is true, I'm not sure I'd like the idea of trading Ty away. As another poster pointed out, he chose to come to Buffalo, doesn't seem right to just ship him off given his choice of helping this team get better. Also, I was starting to get fond of the idea of having 2 maulers on the right side of the line. I can't remember the last time the right side even showed promise like this. To me, Clowney hasn't played up to his draft status, and apparently he has an injury history, hell we already have that in Murphy and by some reports, he's made good strides getting back to his old form. If Beane chooses to make the trade, I'll support it, but I will wonder how it'll affect this O line going forward

Oh come on. The guy hasn't played a down for the Bills. He chose to come here because we offered him a good deal. We don't know if he will even be any good. You always try to improve the team. Clowney will be a huge get

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Never rely on a handshake agreement.

I can imagine what Rams' fans feel about the Watkins 1yr rental.

They think that their GM did an amazing job hiring the top young HC in the NFL and not half stepping in free agency and trades and creating an astounding franchise turnaround in just one season.

That's how it's done now.

But some Bills fans want a tepid, slow build because they are afraid of making mistakes and perhaps even afraid of success and the disappointment of losing in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They think that their GM did an amazing job hiring the top young HC in the NFL and not half stepping in free agency and trades and creating an astounding franchise turnaround in just one season.

But some Bills fans want a tepid, slow build because they are afraid of making mistakes and perhaps even afraid of success and the disappointment of losing in the playoffs.

So you're saying the Bills will make it to the Superbowl in 2021, once they let Clowney walk at the end of the year, and replace him with a cheaper free-agent?

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

Oh come on. The guy hasn't played a down for the Bills. He chose to come here because we offered him a good deal. We don't know if he will even be any good. You always try to improve the team. Clowney will be a huge get

Nothing I've seen about Clowney remotely screams "huge get". And yeah, we did offer him a good deal, doesn't change the fact that he still chose Buffalo. To me, with or without Clowney, this is still a good defense. The O line on the other hand has been a problem for quite a long time

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Asinine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

So you're saying the Bills will make it to the Superbowl in 2021, once they let Clowney walk at the end of the year, and replace him with a cheaper free-agent?

I'm saying I'm not afraid of the Bills making moves with modest future draft capital to try to become a SB contender now.

On paper the 2019 Bills may seem light versus the incumbent SB favorites but anyone who thinks that the 1990-1991 Bills went in SB XXV as the biggest SB favorite ever after 12 months of expectations of them dominating as they did are wrong.   The organization was considered a dysfunctional mess and an afterthought heading into that season.   The 1989 Niners were considered possibly the greatest team in NFL history at the time and were overwhelming favorites heading into that season.   It was supposed to be them and 29 also-rans.  Things can change.

A first round pick for Clowney is too rich for me but take a look at the Bills history of 2nd and 3rd round picks.    There are more Zay Jones and Reggie Ragnuts and more John Millers and Preston Browns than there are difference makers.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

What is the point of a player holding out for more money, if they aren't allowed to sign a bigger contract anyway?

Clowney is not holding out for more money.

He is holding out for a long term contract.

Houston has no intention of giving him an extension.

He has to report by week 11 to accrue an NFL season but he can withhold his services up until then so that gives him leverage to get him traded to a team that he and his agent can get a handshake agreement with to give him an extension.    

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So you trade Nsekhe & a 2nd. You can always tag him. If you decide not to you get him for a year and a 3rd round comp pick the next year.

Also, Clowney functionally has a no-trade clause. He has to agree to the tender before getting traded. If he doesn’t like the destination he won’t go. Gaine wanted him extended and that’s part of the reason he is gone. If Clowney does agree to come here there’s a VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY good chance that the Bills and his agent have discussed the parameters of a deal. Gaine already knows what it will take. If the Bills trade for him it’s because they are comfortable with that number.

I would do that if he has 2-3 years left on a deal BUT I am not sold on a guy that we have to hand $20 plus million/yr to for a guy who has never hit double digit sacks. He would be awesome paired with Jerry for a few years though. I would much rather we spend $20 million on an elite offensive talent because we need that more and this game is won on offense!