Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

...just don't see McBeane trading coveted pick(s) for a one year rental.......he'll be looking for well north of $20 mil and don't see that in McBeane's wheel house.....seems to me we're headed in the right direction with 2018/2019 drafts as well as signings.....if he's such a force, why would da Fuhrer O'Brien part with him?.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If I see someone post that #2 defense one more time I'll scream. 18th in points allowed. Remember points? That thing that determines outcomes. 

And all of the rushing yards allowed!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If I see someone post that #2 defense one more time I'll scream. 18th in points allowed. Remember points? That thing that determines outcomes. 

There is a reason why you have to take points allowed with a grain of salt....if you have a crappy defense that cant run the ball and is playing with a rookie QB......the D is gonna be on the field too much.

I think that will be fixed this year.....so lets see

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just don't see McBeane trading coveted pick(s) for a one year rental.......he'll be looking for well north of $20 mil and don't see that in McBeane's wheel house.....seems to me we're headed in the right direction with 2018/2019 drafts as well as signings.....if he's such a force, why would da Fuhrer O'Brien part with him?.........

Just not sure where the money is going to go otherwise. The Bills don’t have many holes and have the most cap space in football. I expect them to add a couple of stars (like Clowney) and then work to extend a few of our own. That would still leave the Bills with loads of cap space.

Hypothetically, say we deal our 2nd and Shaq for Clowney. We tag him if we have to but I’m sure Gaine knows the parameters of a deal. He was supposedly Clowney’s biggest fan.

The Bills next offseason could:

- Re-Sign Clowney

- Sign Costanzo or Scherff to solidify the line

- Extend Tre White

- Extend Poyer

- Draft one of those stud receivers in the 1st like Shenault (won’t get a sniff of Jeudy)

That roster would be amazing. The Bills would still have lots of cap flexibility and very few holes.

• Like (+1) 6

5 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

In my opinion who is better between Houston and buffalo is very much debatable. At face value I had the initial thought that you did to that comment. 

My assessment of the 2 teams:

Better offense is Houston

Better defense is Buffalo 

Better coaching is Buffalo

Better chance of team imploding/quoting on the coaches Houston

Both teams are similar, I mean last years game came down to a Peterman pick 6

Houston is closer to us on defense than we are to them on offense.  Also, I think Watson is a borderline top 10 QB.  And I don’t know how you can say our coaching is better.  Obviously it can change but Houston has been a pretty consistent playoff team under O’Brien, even with terrible qbs.

and the more I think about this, unless the Texans get a first rounder or a player that can step in right away, it’s a dumb deal.  They should be going all in with Watson right now.  

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Houston is closer to us on defense than we are to them on offense.  Also, I think Watson is a borderline top 10 QB.  And I don’t know how you can say our coaching is better.  Obviously it can change but Houston has been a pretty consistent playoff team under O’Brien, even with terrible qbs.

and the more I think about this, unless the Texans get a first rounder or a player that can step in right away, it’s a dumb deal.  They should be going all in with Watson right now.  

I wish the heck I knew what is going at TBD right now! If I were a fly on the wall just once!

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just not sure where the money is going to go otherwise. The Bills don’t have many holes and have the most cap space in football. I expect them to add a couple of stars (like Clowney) and then work to extend a few of our own. That would still leave the Bills with loads of cap space.

Hypothetically, say we deal our 2nd and Shaq for Clowney. We tag him if we have to but I’m sure Gaine knows the parameters of a deal. He was supposedly Clowney’s biggest fan.

- Re-Sign Clowney

- Extend Tre White

- Extend Poyer

- Draft one of those stud receivers in the 1st like Shenault (won’t get a sniff of Jeudy)

That roster would be amazing. The Bills would still have lots of cap flexibility and very few holes.

Absolutely. I think we've become so cap obsessed that we forget that signing talented players is A)costly and B)necessary.

Clowney would instantly transform the defense from good to great. That front four would be reminiscent of the 2014 Bills line. You got that many guys getting in the QB's mug, all of a sudden, you have a unit that is proactively changing the outcome of games. 

I'm all about it. Our best bet to make the playoffs NOW is a DOMINANT defense. A DOMINANT defense can take this team to the playoffs even if the offense doesn't come along as well as we'd like. Making the playoffs is a big deal when it comes to free agency and such. 2017 was anomalous in the sense that we had no money to spend by design. The good teams will always find a way to keep premier players and an upstart like the Bills should be willing to shoot their shot here. The cap is more fungible than meets the eye.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I wish the heck I knew what is going at TBD right now! If I were a fly on the wall just once!

Would you make the trade and what’s your offer?  I’m so torn.  I think JC’s rep is bigger than his game but he is so talented that maybe he figures it out.  Mario was so so in Houston and was possibly the best DE in football for a year or 2 here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Would you make the trade and what’s your offer?  I’m so torn.  I think JC’s rep is bigger than his game but he is so talented that maybe he figures it out.  Mario was so so in Houston and was possibly the best DE in football for a year or 2 here.

Good...at least there is some dialogue! They can get around the small stuff!

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

- Re-Sign Clowney

- Extend Tre White

- Extend Poyer

You are kidding, right?  No holes? WR is a giant one, DE, jury is still out, but just because the OL is better than the puddle it was, doesn't mean its good.  TE is a question mark, LBs are weak for depth.. this isn't a playoff team and you dont know where they are going to spend money?

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

You are kidding, right?  No holes? WR is a giant one, DE, jury is still out, but just because the OL is better than the puddle it was, doesn't mean its good.  TE is a question mark, LBs are weak for depth.. this isn't a playoff team and you dont know where they are going to spend money?

I got news for you?

There isn’t a roster in the NFL that doesn’t have a lot of holes on it. The 89 Niners aren’t out there in today’s NFL.

The question is......... “Who will be the best QB for that particular season? That covers a lot of holes on a roster.

And we don’t know if Josh Allen can carry a team yet.

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree that Houston should be gearing up to go all in, not trading one of their best players, honestly id give up a 1st if it was conditional for clowney (playoffs or resign)

But going back to the comparison Houston's offensive line is garbage and that will hold them back from reaching their potential because the skill positions are top notch. This also drops them down closer to bills. (As will not having clowney on defense)

As for coaching I dislike O'Brien and think he is headed for an implosion always seems to be on the hot seat every year and now has no GM to blame. Also he hasnt proven anything McDermott hasn't, can't pretend contending for a playoff spot in that division is anything special

Houston is where the bills are headed except they are a half to a whole season ahead in re building. I happen to think the bills close that gap this year

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think i speak for at least 50% of Bills fans- talent is great but effort will likely drop once he is paid and therefore not worth trade. He is unlikely to impact games like Mack but will want Mack money.

I'm curious as to why you think (a) effort will be an issue and (b) 50% of Bills' fans would agree with you?

Meaning no offense of course 

• Like (+1) 1

This is a question of where the front office feels the team is at.  I think you push the chips in on the table and transform the defensive front 7 from good to great.  I would go so far to offer a 1 for Clowney.  I'm very high on him as a player.  Buffalo has good players in the front 7.  Only Oliver shows the quality to f a play up and that's nothing more than potential, Clowney does it routinely.  If Buffalo added Clowney I would put money on Hughes being top 5 in the league in sacks maybe even leading league.