Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

9 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

Am I giant Clowney fan? Not at all.  But the thought of Hughes, Oliver and Clowney going after Brady and the other QBs sounds great.

I would be okay with a 2nd or a 3rd/4th and Shaq Lawson.  Saying we could get an extension of course

That’s the risk I highly doubt they would take. Giving up valuable picks next year for a guy you don’t know you will have past this year. That’s a poor use of assets. They could do a handshake deal i suppose but I wouldn’t trust that. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s the risk I highly doubt they would take. Giving up valuable picks next year for a guy you don’t know you will have past this year. That’s a poor use of assets. They could do a handshake deal i suppose but I wouldn’t trust that. 

I know it is against the rules but I feel like most teams would not trade without at least a deal in place.  It is basically what happened with AB (I know he isnt the best example right now but at the time they were happy)

It all depends if we want to do the Seattle and LA thing.  Stack the defense during their QBs rookie deal.  If we are trying to win a title in the next two years a 3rd wont be the reason we dont do it but Clowney would help

5 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

I know it is against the rules but I feel like most teams would not trade without at least a deal in place.  It is basically what happened with AB (I know he isnt the best example right now but at the time they were happy)

It all depends if we want to do the Seattle and LA thing.  Stack the defense during their QBs rookie deal.  If we are trying to win a title in the next two years a 3rd wont be the reason we dont do it but Clowney would help

It’s different. With AB, Raiders were able to do a new deal with him because it took place in March. Bills (or anyone) cannot do a deal with Clowney until after this season because he’s on the franchise tag and it’s past the July 15 deadline. 

No, only because a DE named Yannick Ngakoue (JAX) will be an unrestricted FA next year.

While everyone trips over themselves going for Clowney,  McBeane should have Ngakoue on speed dial.

He held out this preseason and does not seem to be too happy that he wasn't extended.

He is 24 right now so will be 25 entering his 5th season as an unrestricted FA.

He has 29.5 sacks in 3 years, almost 10 a year.

Jacksonville drafted Josh Allen as his replacement.

Jacksonville is 8 million over the cap in 2020 as of now (according to Over the cap).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/jacksonville-jaguars/

I'll take a motivated 25 yr old averaging 10 sacks a year to be my new bookmark DE to pair on the DL with Oliver.

Jax can't resign him without doing roster damage.

Why lose picks and get a rental that hasn't produced, when the answer to DE is a UFA next year?

And we can stick it to Marrone a bit.

https://www.jaguars.com/team/players-roster/yannick-ngakoue/career

(not updated for 3rd year)

Originally drafted by Jacksonville in the third round (69th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft

PRO (Games played/started - 32/31, 3/3)

• Made his NFL debut in team’s season opener in 2016

• Owns the franchise rookie record for sacks in a single season (8.0)

• Of his first 20.0 career sacks, 10 have been strip-sacks

• His 20.0 sacks in first 32 career games are the most by a Jaguars player in franchise history

• Led the league with six forced fumbles in 2017

• Earned his first career Pro Bowl nod in 2017

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It would have been a better trade at draft time for both sides. Texans get a 2019 pick and Bills have opportunity to sign him to an extension. Now Texans need a player in return in addition to a 2020 pick and Bills are past the timeline to sign him to an extension, which is a big risk. 

Yes it would have, but Beane probably found it necessary to stick to his draft board. Now that preseason is here, the Bills have a much better idea of what this team is and how to move forward. 

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

Yes it would have, but Beane probably found it necessary to stick to his draft board. Now that preseason is here, the Bills have a much better idea of what this team is and how to move forward. 

If Clowney walks in March, he’s stuck both without Clowney and what I assume would be a high 2020 pick. I can’t see Beane taking that risk. I could have seen him trading a pick and signing Clowney to an extension back in April when he still could. Now it’s just a high risk  trade for anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was a good not great defense that was pumped up by getting stomped in a few games where teams took their foot off the pedal in the 2nd half.

if this defense got an elite pass rusher, it has potential to be great.  I don’t think JC is an elite pass rusher but he would be the best DE on this team.  Definitely isn’t worth what he is going to get paid though.  I am kinda indifferent on getting him because of his lack of elite pass rush skills. 

You could also argue that they were hurt by having a bad offense that often put them in bad field position throughout the season. 

There’s always a flip side, but I think the defense was very good last year.

I do think the one thing they’re missing is an elite pass rusher. But I agree with you that Clowney is not it. 

Also, Hughes may not have put up huge sack #’s, but he did put up great pressure numbers and was amongst the top players in the league. I think adding Oliver and having Murphy healthy will be a big deal for the pass rush. Lastly, I believe Darryl Johnson could become a player. Small school guy who put up very good numbers there and has elite size for the DE position while still having good speed & burst (especially considering the size/length he carries). 

I honestly think they'll look to draft there  and wide receiver early on next year. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

If Clowney walks in March, he’s stuck both without Clowney and what I assume would be a high 2020 pick. I can’t see Beane taking that risk. I could have seen him trading a pick and signing Clowney to an extension back in April when he still could. Now it’s just a high risk  trade for anyone. 

I understand that. That is why I stated earlier that any deal for Clowney would contain an understanding on both sides, or if the Bills were convinced that he would. Why trade for a player if your not certain you can sign him. If the Bills did trade for Clowney...it would be for the long haul.

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I understand that. That is why I stated earlier that any deal for Clowney would contain an understanding on both sides, or if the Bills were convinced that he would. Why trade for a player if your not certain you can sign him. If the Bills did trade for Clowney...it would be for the long haul.

That “understanding” would need to last until March 2020. Just not realistic to trust something like that, for a trade right now to be feasible with Clowney. Too much can change in that length of time. 

5 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

No, only because a DE named Yannick Ngakoue (JAX) will be an unrestricted FA next year.

While everyone trips over themselves going for Clowney,  McBeane should have Ngakoue on speed dial.

He held out this preseason and does not seem to be too happy that he wasn't extended.

He is 24 right now so will be 25 entering his 5th season as an unrestricted FA.

He has 29.5 sacks in 3 years, almost 10 a year.

Jacksonville drafted Josh Allen as his replacement.

Jacksonville is 8 million over the cap in 2020 as of now (according to Over the cap).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/jacksonville-jaguars/

I'll take a motivated 25 yr old averaging 10 sacks a year to be my new bookmark DE to pair on the DL with Oliver.

Jax can't resign him without doing roster damage.

Why lose picks and get a rental that hasn't produced, when the answer to DE is a UFA next year?

And we can stick it to Marrone a bit.

https://www.jaguars.com/team/players-roster/yannick-ngakoue/career

(not updated for 3rd year)

Originally drafted by Jacksonville in the third round (69th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft

PRO (Games played/started - 32/31, 3/3)

• Made his NFL debut in team’s season opener in 2016

• Owns the franchise rookie record for sacks in a single season (8.0)

• Of his first 20.0 career sacks, 10 have been strip-sacks

• His 20.0 sacks in first 32 career games are the most by a Jaguars player in franchise history

• Led the league with six forced fumbles in 2017

• Earned his first career Pro Bowl nod in 2017

Because he will be most sought out FA next year and they have no idea if they can sign him.  A trade lands you the player you covet.

That being said, I won’t be mad if we trade for Clowney, but my preference is to stay the course.  We’ve been crushing the draft and I also love what I we are hearing and seeing about a healthy Murphy this year.  

Its more the inevitable contract that I’m least attracted to with Clowney.  But he would be an exciting add.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Rumors are he is about to get traded. 

Teams that are mentioned in the trend are 

Redskins - Their Disgruntled LT

Ravens - Jimmy Smith and more 

Dolphins - Tunsil and more 

Bills - Multiple Picks

Colts - LT and Picks 

that is all the teams I have seen mentioned in the Trend. 

For what it is worth An NBA Writer dating To Dolphins for Tunsil and Picks. 

A blockbuster trade for Clowney just seem to be consistent with the moves Beane and McDermott would make.  I would bet anything he doesn’t get traded to Buffalo.

I think that Indy could be an interesting candidate for a trade 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That “understanding” would need to last until March 2020. Just not realistic to trust something like that, for a trade right now to be feasible with Clowney. Too much can change in that length of time. 

Oh absolutely! This is all speculative at best. This story has been "trending" for months.

Jeez, I think this FO has shown that they can identify elite talent in the draft. So, to me, it makes little sense to go after an elite high dollar run defender vs an elite pass rusher like Mack. Mack was worth the money and draft picks.  JMO

I kinda hope the Dolphins do trade for him and give up the farm. They had Suh and it got them nowhere...on that thought the Bills had the #4 overall defense, the #1 pass rush in the NFL in 2014 and it got them to 9-7, which was second in the AFC East behind the 12-4 Patriots. 

At this point I'm glad the Bills didn't sign Brown with his foot/helmet issues. Build through the draft.