Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

Just now, NoSaint said:

Hes also doing a lot more than just getting after the QB

adding him to a line with Oliver, Starr and Hughes would have potential to be top of the league ala our best year with Kyle, dareus, Mario and jerry. For a DC that’s running a pretty basic system a front 4 like that goes a long way to being able to drop 7 and still being able to both stop the run and put pressure on a qb. 

Yes...the man is a play maker. We need play makers! We need to get after people and stay after them.

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A 4th and Ty Nsheke?

I don't think anything starting with a 4th gets it done..........that's Reggie Ragnuts level compensation.:lol:

After watching Ford struggle a bit to get his feet moving in pass pro at guard against the Colts I don't want to give up Nsekhe and have Ford at tackle without a net........... and I don't know that the Texans would even value Nsekhe for a draft pick.    Did they bid on him in UFA?  

32 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I agree with those who want to take a pass on Clowney.  I see him as a Dareus-like player (albeit with a much better physique).  He is highly talented and would be paid top dollar as such, but is not highly motivated.  Whatever team signs him to a large, long-term deal will regret it later.  Clowney is the exact type of player (like Dareus) that causes teams to get into salary cap jail. 

I hate the Patriots as much as the next guy, but they manage their cap extremely well.  They get rid of guys like this and let some other team take on the headaches and salary cap issues.  When they do get "problem child" types of players, which they sometimes do (see Josh Gordon, Randy Moss, etc.), it's usually on the cheap, when the guys are running out of chances and trying to re-establish themselves.  If it works out, they get a bargain and if it doesn't, they can get rid of them with little cap impact.

Agree 100%...not to mention we have some young DE’s that have some real potential 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Rumors are he is about to get traded. 

Teams that are mentioned in the trend are 

Redskins - Their Disgruntled LT

Ravens - Jimmy Smith and more 

Dolphins - Tunsil and more 

Bills - Multiple Picks

Colts - LT and Picks 

that is all the teams I have seen mentioned in the Trend. 

For what it is worth An NBA Writer dating To Dolphins for Tunsil and Picks. 

Wait, where is this coming from?

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I'd definitely part with either but I'd rather give up the 5th round pick and go for it this year.........Clowney is a DE but I would move him around so I would like Murphy and Shaq in the rotation.    Johnson looks like he might be a Shaq replacement option next year but Shaq looks primed to have a good year.

Agree, I think Shaq is a really good football player. My dad always says that he reminds him of Phil Hansen and I think that’s a decent comparison. He’s stout against the run and a decent pass rusher. He’s just a solid NFL player. He’s the kind of guy that the Patriots always have. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It wouldn’t likely be a rental for whoever gets him 

Eh, it's still a rental for the trade value. If they sign him to an extension/new contract that's a good idea if you trade for him, but you're still only trading for 1 year of his existing contract (if the new contract doesn't void out the old one)

I don't see how it makes sense for the Bills though unless the compensation is low in which case, why would other teams who have a greater need not match?

Edited by jeremy2020

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe I am in the minority on this....but I DONT want to do this?

I mean I guess it would depend on the compensation.....

- I feel it would take a lot to get him

- I like what Beane is doing with the draft picks

Your viewpoint is not a minority opinion but a majority opinion. I'm not suggesting that he isn't a good player but the potential contract terms and giving up probable high picks for him doesn't seem to be the right way to go. This would be a mistake. The Redskins are at an impasse with their LT, Trent Williams. Let them take a risk on JC. They have a history of making PR deals. 

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe I’m in the minority but I’m interested. Clowney could push the Bills into an all-time defense IMO. The one thing that the Bills didn’t do was get a ton of pressure. If you add Oliver, Clowney and a healthy Murphy...You can tag him again next year if need be. Let him know you’ll be signing him to a long-term deal. See if you can do it for Shaq/Murphy & a 3rd.

This Bills team doesn’t have a lot of holes. I think that they’ll be looking at a WR, pass rusher and maybe another OL next year. Clowney checks a big box and with the cap space and picks left they can address those needs. 

Ultimately if you think josh is the guy you are in your 2-3 year window and outside QB getting a stud DE might be the biggest impact and we CAN and SHOULD spend a little belligerently for a minute. If not him, I’m down for other suggestions but he seems the prototype for us.

I thought that a player franchised by one team could sign a new deal after July 15th if he was later traded? I thought the deadline only applied to the team applying the tag in the first place? If we are allowed to and he agrees to a long term deal I would swing that trade. 

Edited by H2o

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Eh, it's still a rental for the trade value. If they sign him to an extension/new contract that's a good idea if you trade for him, but you're still only trading for 1 year of his existing contract (if the new contract doesn't void out the old one)

I don't see how it makes sense for the Bills though unless the compensation is low in which case, why would other teams who have a greater need not match?

Long term we have as much need as any for a DE, and I’d venture the trading team will have bones of a deal in place with his agent. 

So i guess ultimately I disagree on both major points you are making. 

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Ultimately if you think josh is the guy you are in your 2-3 year window and outside QB getting a stud DE might be the biggest impact and we CAN and SHOULD spend a little belligerently for a minute. If not him, I’m down for other suggestions but he seems the prototype for us.

High draft picks worry me.

52 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Shaq and the Bills 2020 3rd but only with an agreement in place on an extension.  Gaine probably had the parameters of an extension with his agent already.

You are not technically allowed to do that. Now what goes on outside the rules is another thing but you try and approach his agent to agree that and he goes to the league you are in trouble. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

You are not technically allowed to do that. Now what goes on outside the rules is another thing but you try and approach his agent to agree that and he goes to the league you are in trouble. 

Bills are in a unique position because Gaine works for them...negotiations occurred and Gaine knows the parameters...kind of like the 2017 draft when we leaped in front of Carolina twice because Beane knew he was coming here (Did I just ***** say that?)

Just now, JoeF said:

Bills are in a unique position because Gaine works for them...negotiations occurred and Gaine knows the parameters...kind of like the 2017 draft when we leaped in front of Carolina twice because Beane knew he was coming here (Did I just ***** say that?)

He knows the parameters for a 9 sack guy with an outstanding all round game. But if Clowney comes here and relinquished of some other responsibilities and sent QB hunting every down gets 15 sacks that price goes up.    

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

High draft picks worry me.

Youd quite literally be spending the high pick hoping to get a guy not as good as this. Because we are not spending on a qb, we don’t need to horde picks and pray for luck. We can go get the guy we need and win now. 

Ill keep echoing- if you think josh, McD and beane are the trio; then you need to think we are contenders now and be making moves to put a trophy in the shelf within the next 18 months.

to the guy talking about the pats- it’s just apples to oranges. You need to be looking at the rams, and eagles, or the 9ers and Seahawks of a couple years ago. We need to be that team that fans in Tampa bay and Arizona say “how do they keep adding these guys.” At the end of the run if josh is the dude then you retool into a pats style model. It’s not who we should be today though. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Youd quite literally be spending the high pick hoping to get a guy not as good as this. Because we are not spending on a qb, we don’t need to horde picks and pray for luck. We can go get the guy we need and win now. 

Ill keep echoing- if you think josh, McD and beane are the trio; then you need to think we are contenders now and be making moves to put a trophy in the shelf within the next 18 months.

to the guy talking about the pats- it’s just apples to oranges. You need to be looking at the rams, and eagles, or the 9ers and Seahawks of a couple years ago. We need to be that team that fans in Tampa bay and Arizona say “how do they keep adding these guys.” At the end of the run if josh is the dude then you retool into a pats style model. It’s not who we should be today though. 

Yes to all this. Our Super Bowl window is the next 3 seasons. We aren't drafting a QB next year no matter what. I'd absolutely trade picks for a stud pass rusher right now.

The only thing that I hesitate with is the WR class next year is supposed to be great. If we're giving a 1st for a stud pass rusher that's fine but a stud WR would probably be more helpful moving forward.

But planning for next year's draft is tough. I'd probably still take the gamble now and know I'm getting a great player no matter what.

Shaq Lawson isn't a Super Bowl player. He's a fine piece. But you include him in a trade for Clowney in a heartbeat if that's what it takes. He's a throw in like Jordan Matthews was for us.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He knows the parameters for a 9 sack guy with an outstanding all round game. But if Clowney comes here and relinquished of some other responsibilities and sent QB hunting every down gets 15 sacks that price goes up.    

Ultimately, gunner, do you think his pay changes drastically?

9 or 15 sacks he’s getting paid as essentially the top DE in the league. It’s not like he’s suddenly doubling his pay, at most it’s an extra 5-10m over the contract right? It’s not going to shoot him from 20 to 30 mil per year 

• Like (+1) 1