Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What about a 3rd and a 5th?

I'm serious.   

I think he kinda' has to go for another player if traded now for the Texans to not end up with egg on their face.

Agree that teams not trading much in draft pick compensation for a guy who is a UFA after season and holding out.

Gaine would give the Bills a huge edge though if he was trying to get Clowney extended though.

Clowney has a lot of say where he goes.........he can just show up mid-season and still get his year of service if he doesn't like where he is traded. 

A 4th and Ty Nsheke?

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What about a 3rd and a 5th?

I'm serious.   

I think he kinda' has to go for another player if traded now for the Texans to not end up with egg on their face.

Agree that teams not trading much in draft pick compensation for a guy who is a UFA after season and holding out.

Gaine would give the Bills a huge edge though if he was trying to get Clowney extended though.

Clowney has a lot of say where he goes.........he can just show up mid-season and still get his year of service if he doesn't like where he is traded. 

That was my initial offer as well (edited it to include one of those DEs and a 3rd).

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

You can franchise him, so he's yours, like it or not.  Not saying id do it, but you can lock him down.

so a 2 year rental, not bad.  But the way McBean drafts I would rather keep the picks.  The day will come when they will need to pay Allen and it would be nice to have a bunch of guys on rookie deals...

I agree with those who want to take a pass on Clowney.  I see him as a Dareus-like player (albeit with a much better physique).  He is highly talented and would be paid top dollar as such, but is not highly motivated.  Whatever team signs him to a large, long-term deal will regret it later.  Clowney is the exact type of player (like Dareus) that causes teams to get into salary cap jail. 

I hate the Patriots as much as the next guy, but they manage their cap extremely well.  They get rid of guys like this and let some other team take on the headaches and salary cap issues.  When they do get "problem child" types of players, which they sometimes do (see Josh Gordon, Randy Moss, etc.), it's usually on the cheap, when the guys are running out of chances and trying to re-establish themselves.  If it works out, they get a bargain and if it doesn't, they can get rid of them with little cap impact.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

I agree with those who want to take a pass on Clowney.  I see him as a Dareus-like player (albeit with a much better physique).  He is highly talented and would be paid top dollar as such, but is not highly motivated.  Whatever team signs him to a large, long-term deal will regret it later.  Clowney is the exact type of player (like Dareus) that causes teams to get into salary cap jail. 

I hate the Patriots as much as the next guy, but they manage their cap extremely well.  They get rid of guys like this and let some other team take on the headaches and salary cap issues.  When they do get "problem child" types of players, which they sometimes do (see Josh Gordon, Randy Moss, etc.), it's usually on the cheap, when the guys are running out of chances and trying to re-establish themselves.  If it works out, they get a bargain and if it doesn't, they can get rid of them with little cap impact.

Not only that, the Patriots don't take on guys with less than All-Pro talent if they cause trouble.  Its kinda awesome to watch... except they continue to curb stomp the Bills.

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Going book ends of hughes and clowney with star and Oliver would be an insane defensive line

Id give up a 2nd or even lawson and a pick

Im with you, I'd send Lawson and a 4th for him.  Nothing against Shaq, but I doubt hes here next year anyway, or maybe I should say, it doesn't matter if he is.

55 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

Just my opinion, but I'd hate to give multiple picks for clowney.. less leverage during draft next year(we dont have many picks as it is now), and to sign him long term would be overpriced, rather save our picks and sign our own!!

Agreed

• Awesome! (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Honestly, the Bills had the #2 defense last year with a hobbled Murphy.

So, I see that bandied about frequently and I know that statistically in terms of yards allowed it's true. Did anyone feel like they were watching a great defense last year? I did not.

1 hour ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Honestly, the Bills had the #2 defense last year with a hobbled Murphy.    Is adding Clowney really going to make that big of a difference?   Especially on a one year rental?

It wouldn’t likely be a rental for whoever gets him 

10 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think Clowney has been a bit miscast by the Texans, but would fit perfectly in our scheme.  Sign me up for a reasonable trade.

I agree.    

The big change in the NBA in recent years is the idea of "position-less" basketball...........and the Bills would have the potential to do something similar on defense adding  a player like Clowney  to a defense that includes unusual specimens like Edmunds and Oliver and even a guy like Lorenzo Alexander.

Clowney a tremendous run defender and a very sudden inside pressure guy too which is nice with the Patriots being a team that can run the football and having a QB who is most vulnerable to inside pressure.

Ideally you get a more efficient QB hitter for $20M per year but Clowney is a potentially great fit for how they play defense and those sure-thing-sack-a-game Khalil Mack's aren't falling out of the sky and definitely not for reasonable compensation in trade.

• Like (+1) 1

What do we really know about Clowney? Perhaps he arrives here and likes what he sees. He would probably integrate well with this core and be a great fit. This would be one heck of a defense. Yes, his sack numbers are low, but he is good in pursuit and excellent against the run.

31 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This doesn’t seem like a very “processy” move to me.  Several picks for Clowney?  No thanks.....

Hes big, versatile, and at a key position where we don’t have a long term plan. And exactly in our win now window.

im not holding my breath but it makes a ton of sense if it happens 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Hes big, versatile, and at a key position where we don’t have a long term plan. And exactly in our win now window.

im not holding my breath but it makes a ton of sense if it happens 

Not the greatest "numbers" but Clowney is an athletic and disruptive presence. Add him to the mix of Oliver, Edmunds and Milano...what a defensive net of speed and athleticism!

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That was my initial offer as well (edited it to include one of those DEs and a 3rd).

Yeah I'd definitely part with either but I'd rather give up the 5th round pick and go for it this year.........Clowney is a DE but I would move him around so I would like Murphy and Shaq in the rotation.    Johnson looks like he might be a Shaq replacement option next year but Shaq looks primed to have a good year.

Just now, Rocket94 said:

Not the greatest "numbers" but Clowney is an athletic and disruptive presence. Add him to the mix of Oliver, Edmunds and Milano...what a defensive net of speed and athleticism!

Hes also doing a lot more than just getting after the QB

adding him to a line with Oliver, Starr and Hughes would have potential to be top of the league ala our best year with Kyle, dareus, Mario and jerry. For a DC that’s running a pretty basic system a front 4 like that goes a long way to being able to drop 7 and still being able to both stop the run and put pressure on a qb. 

• Like (+1) 2