Dak Prescott seeking new extension worth $40M per year.

BillsFan4

11 hours ago, Needle said:

You are way off base on this one. Most NFL fan bases would be thrilled to average more than ten wins a season over three years and be discussing how they can get deeper into the playoffs. Buffalo would be overflowing with newborns named Dak.

Actually wasn’t Buffalo just in this same situation a couple of years ago with Tyrod Taylor?

A QB that won the majority of his games, made few mistakes, was helped by a top flight running game, made the playoff in Buffalo for the first time in forever.

How did that work out - are there a lot of little Tyrod’s Running around Buffalo?  Nope - the Bill’s fans realized that Tyrod was very limited meaning their chances were limited and when he wanted/got a raise from 3 million a season to 20 million a season - people recognized it was not going to work.

Dak works on his rookie deal, but as soon as you start paying him and losing support around him - it falls apart and the expectations on him will rise beyond what he is capable of achieving.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm torn on this. I'd love to see them give him that kind of money, and basically suck for the next decade because they can't pay anyone else.

However, when Josh's contract comes up in four more years, how will you be able to justify paying him LESS than Dak Prescott? Ideally, he is going to be a top-tier quarterback. If Dak gets 40 million, How will you be able to justify giving Josh $35 million? It's going to put some other teams in a real bind, especially those like us with rookie QB's that we're going to have to pay in a couple years.

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

These guys play a sport where their career can end on one play with non guaranteed contracts.  Of course, Dak knows he’s not the best qb but he should try to get every cent he can.  Are the team and fans going to care if he blows out his knee in camp and can’t play again?  

I never get why fans don’t support the players more instead of the owners.  Dak contributes a lot more to winning than plastic face Jones. 

Dude read my responses.  I said "Dak's personal approach does not bother me".   But I root for the Bills, the team, not that one of the 53 gets 20% of the team salary cap.  As a result, I root for our owner to make smart decisions with consideration of how player contracts impact the salary cap position of the team.  I'm all for doubling the cap, hell give the salary cap a 10x boost!  The primary goal of a team is to win.  The primary goal for some players is to say they make more money than other players. 

With your logic, you should personally be offended that the linemen who's bodies are most abused aren't the highest paid in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Actually wasn’t Buffalo just in this same situation a couple of years ago with Tyrod Taylor?

A QB that won the majority of his games, made few mistakes, was helped by a top flight running game, made the playoff in Buffalo for the first time in forever.

How did that work out - are there a lot of little Tyrod’s Running around Buffalo?  Nope - the Bill’s fans realized that Tyrod was very limited meaning their chances were limited and when he wanted/got a raise from 3 million a season to 20 million a season - people recognized it was not going to work.

Dak works on his rookie deal, but as soon as you start paying him and losing support around him - it falls apart and the expectations on him will rise beyond what he is capable of achieving.

Dak is way better than Tyrod and much younger.  Based on how some of you think about other QBs, you are setting expectations Allen has no chance to meet.

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I have a serious question for you; are you a Bills fan? I'm never quite sure. Because the notion that the fanbase wouldn't be excited by a young QB with a 32-16 record and a 96 QB rating seems so far fetched that I have my doubts. I can see Patriots, Packers, and Saints fans having trepidation, but certainly not our's. 

We've gone through Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and EJ Manuel to name a few. Your perspective doesn't seem to jive with someone who's had high hopes for these guys only to see them falter miserably.

There is ZERO doubt in my mind that fans would be head over heels excited in this scenario. They would strongly dislike a 40 mil request by Josh; I'll grant you that. But overall, thrilled.

I answered this a few times now.  After 3 seasons of 10+ wins, despite a top O-line, top RB and solid Defense----and only 1 playoff win.  ANY team fan base would be looking at the QB's decent but not improving out put and wonder if maybe that might be the issue. 

You all are selling Bills fans short by claiming that a better record and an occasional playoff appearance is good enough for everyone's satisfaction.

• Thank you (+1) 1

No way he is worth $40M. Problem is how much risk do the Cowboys take on letting him walk and finding a capable replacement.  If everyone came to their senses Prescott, Elliott, and Cooper would all sign deals at about 85% of max for their positions.  The three combined along with that O-line are better together than apart. Add the Cowboys national brand and they make more in advertising. 

But that won't happen. Zeke is a top 3 RB with a limited shelf life. And oddly Dak is not well respected enough for his talent to agree to a below market deal. Brady can do that and look good. If Dak and his agent do that, they will be ridiculed and it will be said Jerry got the best of them in negotiations.