Dak Prescott seeking new extension worth $40M per year.

BillsFan4

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Technically 3 years in. And my answer is ABSOLUTELY. They would be thrilled. I get it. People don't believe in Dak. But if you simply translate those achievements to Josh, Bills fans would be ECSTATIC. 

This is year 4.  What are they look g forward to?

I don't think going into year 4, after tasting the playoffs twice, having the best RB in the NFL, the best O-line and a top 5 or 10 D that Bills fans would be "just happy to be here!!" anymore.  They would rightly be thinking "jeez, what is it going to take at this point to go forward??".

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So if the Bills QB got them to the playoffs his first year, went one and done, then in his 3rd, after going 12-4, lost in the divisional game, after 3 seasons of low to mid 3000's and low 22-23 TDs passing per year, Bills fans would still be pumped 4 years in?

No. Plus Jerry Jones is not like your 20 year Bills fan...

You are way off base on this one. Most NFL fan bases would be thrilled to average more than ten wins a season over three years and be discussing how they can get deeper into the playoffs. Buffalo would be overflowing with newborns named Dak.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Needle said:

You are way off base on this one. Most NFL fan bases would be thrilled to average more than ten wins a season over three years and be discussing how they can get deeper into the playoffs. Buffalo would be overflowing with newborns named Dak.

for how long?

57 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

These guys play a sport where their career can end on one play with non guaranteed contracts.  Of course, Dak knows he’s not the best qb but he should try to get every cent he can.  Are the team and fans going to care if he blows out his knee in camp and can’t play again?  

I never get why fans don’t support the players more instead of the owners.  Dak contributes a lot more to winning than plastic face Jones. 

I think more of Dak as a player than most and I also think he is a strong leader. I think fans get uneasy when they feel a player is getting significantly over paid because it means a ton of other talent is going out the door in the next few seasons. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is year 4.  What are they look g forward to?

I don't think going into year 4, after tasting the playoffs twice, having the best RB in the NFL, the best O-line and a top 5 or 10 D that Bills fans would be "just happy to be here!!" anymore.  They would rightly be thinking "jeez, what is it going to take at this point to go forward??".

It's only been 3 years! I'm too lazy to do one of those graphs, but if you transposed the names, I expect we'd all be thinking a few adjustments here or there and JA will get over the hump. Do you remember the celebration in 2017 when we snuck into the playoffs? It was pretty much what you'd expect from a SB win. Times have been pretty rough around here for the past two decades.

For clarification; I don't LOVE Dak as a quarterback. I think he's good; top 15, but this is a pivotal year in his development. If he doesn't take that step in year 4, I think he'll be cemented in that good, not great category. Also, no way in blank I'd give him 40 mil if I were the Cowboys. Zero chance. I'd definitely wait it out to see which scenario we're talking about. Is he a decent QB or can he take that next step? And after watching quite a few Cowboys games, my prediction is that it'll be "decent" and never elite. I just don't fault a player for trying to get his.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

for how long?

How long is a far question and I think it is determined by the city. Honestly that's good enough for Buffalo forever. Dallas has been bad for a long time now and its been great to be relevant again. That fan base and organization will be ready to jump ship at the first bad season now though. Probably unfairly

Brees had a few really lean years in NO. Rivers hasn't won a thing really and has had some terrible records. Luck hasnt followed through with expectations to this point. Stafford hasn't won nearly enough games. Matt Ryan has been up and down and fell apart in the biggest moment in franchise history. Rodgers has a Superbowl but hasn't sniffed one since. 

Give any of those QBs above Daks record and they are applauded by media and fans alike.

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's only been 3 years! I'm too lazy to do one of those graphs, but if you transposed the names, I expect we'd all be thinking a few adjustments here or there and JA will get over the hump. Do you remember the celebration in 2017 when we snuck into the playoffs? It was pretty much what you'd expect from a SB win. Times have been pretty rough around here for the past two decades.

For clarification; I don't LOVE Dak as a quarterback. I think he's good; top 15, but this is a pivotal year in his development. If he doesn't take that step in year 4, I think he'll be cemented in that good, not great category. Also, no way in blank I'd give him 40 mil if I were the Cowboys. Zero chance. I'd definitely wait it out to see which scenario we're talking about. Is he a decent QB or can he take that next step? And after watching quite a few Cowboys games, my prediction is that it'll be "decent" and never elite. I just don't fault a player for trying to get his.

Well after 17 years, of course the Bills fandom was ecstatic that they assed-in to the playoffs.  But that's done.   3 years into their "franchise QB's career and he has mediocre numbers and 1 one playoff win against 32 wins and no one is going to be happy with another one and done.

3 minutes ago, Needle said:

How long is a far question and I think it is determined by the city. Honestly that's good enough for Buffalo forever. Dallas has been bad for a long time now and its been great to be relevant again. That fan base and organization will be ready to jump ship at the first bad season now though. Probably unfairly

Brees had a few really lean years in NO. Rivers hasn't won a thing really and has had some terrible records. Luck hasnt followed through with expectations to this point. Stafford hasn't won nearly enough games. Matt Ryan has been up and down and fell apart in the biggest moment in franchise history. Rodgers has a Superbowl but hasn't sniffed one since. 

Give any of those QBs above Daks record and they are applauded by media and fans alike.

Brees is a god at his age.

Rivers is a legendary choker--no hope on the horizon for the few Chargers fans in existence.

Luck is physically falling apart.

Natty Ice is a regular season stud, playoff dud.  No joy in Atlanta for years to come.

Stafford is futility personified and is done anyway.

Rodgers won a SB like 10 years ago and the Packers window with him slammed shut before last year.

Cowboys fans aren't Bills fans.  Jones isn't Pegula.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think it's possible.  The best part is  Allen's potential.  Dak has had essentially the same season 3 years in a row, give or take.  His situation is ideal, yet he can't score many points and that's what is limiting his team from dominating.  

If the Cowboys were looking at Zeke, Cooper (ugh) and Rodgers, or Wilson, or Goff, or even the paper mache corpse of Wentz, then Jones would backing up the truck as we speak--foe all three positions.  But Dak isn't those guys so Jones is in a bad situation in which he will have to pay top dollar for TT X 1.5.

It will be interesting and that’s why I hate the word potential because it’s so frustrating.  Allen has far superior skills than Dak.  But Dak was a better player in the SEC than Allen was in the MWC and had a much better Rookie year than Allen.  

IMO, it’s going to be tough for Allen to put up Dak’s first 3 years but I hope I’m wrong. 

24 minutes ago, Needle said:

Yeah for a team with our history, we sure are dismissing what Dak and the Cowboys have done. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It will be interesting and that’s why I hate the word potential because it’s so frustrating.  Allen has far superior skills than Dak.  But Dak was a better player in the SEC than Allen was in the MWC and had a much better Rookie year than Allen.  

IMO, it’s going to be tough for Allen to put up Dak’s first 3 years but I hope I’m wrong. 

Yeah for a team with our history, we sure are dismissing what Dak and the Cowboys have done. 

College stats are meaningless now.

If Allen had Zeke, and the Cowboys O-line for 3 years running?  His numbers would obliterate Prescott's.  Even without them, I'm betting Allen will easily put up Dak's typical 3400/23 TDs this year.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well after 17 years, of course the Bills fandom was ecstatic that they assed-in to the playoffs.  But that's done.   3 years into their "franchise QB's career and he has mediocre numbers and 1 one playoff win against 32 wins and no one is going to be happy with another one and done.

Brees is a god at his age.

Rivers is a legendary choker--no hope on the horizon for the few Chargers fans in existence.

Luck is physically falling apart.

Natty Ice is a regular season stud, playoff dud.  No joy in Atlanta for years to come.

Stafford is futility personified and is done anyway.

Rodgers won a SB like 10 years ago and the Packers window with him slammed shut before last year.

Cowboys fans aren't Bills fans.  Jones isn't Pegula.

By your standards, the Steelers and Patriots fans are the only teams who should feel good about their QBs and teams. Perhaps the Chiefs as well but if Mahomes only wins 8 games this year it's time to panic.

Looks like a lot of these posts are debating whether Dak is a good QB or not. The topic is very much "is he worth $40 million/year" and not many have made a solid counter argument to WEO's contention that he is not. 

So, to those debating WEO, what do y'all think? Is Dak worth that much money ? 

My opinion, from a very limited number of games watched, is that he does NOT elevate the team with his play. He is pretty much a game manager and hence is not worth top-5 money. I know NoSaint will come here and say that $40MM today will be middle of the road 2 years from now, but we have to evaluate him on his worth now with what he has achieved to date. 

I get what C.Biscuit is saying - he is justified to get as much money as he can wrangle. I even agree with him on that point. But that is not the debate here. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I have a serious question for you; are you a Bills fan? I'm never quite sure. Because the notion that the fanbase wouldn't be excited by a young QB with a 32-16 record and a 96 QB rating seems so far fetched that I have my doubts. I can see Patriots, Packers, and Saints fans having trepidation, but certainly not our's. 

We've gone through Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and EJ Manuel to name a few. Your perspective doesn't seem to jive with someone who's had high hopes for these guys only to see them falter miserably.

There is ZERO doubt in my mind that fans would be head over heels excited in this scenario. They would strongly dislike a 40 mil request by Josh; I'll grant you that. But overall, thrilled.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/12/2019 at 6:09 PM, ganesh said:

Players are looking for the best possible deals as there are no guarantees in the NFL.  Also, for many of them this is all they will make in their entire career.  So future proofing for covering another 40+ years of their life is in their best interest. 

Comparing to the Bills of the 90's is irrelevant. The super stars of the 90's did get paid their above-market value for what they did.  A million than is same as 30M now. 

This is all above revenue sharing between owners and players.  The players are asking because the owners have the necessary revenue.  Do you think the Owners will really indulge in this if the player request exceeds the owners cost + profits.  No way. 

It doesn't matter to us what Prescott did or did not do.  The Cowboys need to evaluate him and his contract request as per how they are running their organization. 

Capitalism allows anyone to negotiate what they thing they can get from the known pool.  They are just trying to shift the  percentages.  

Just relating him to todays players though he aint worth what Brady, Wilson, Brees are worth & he's trying to put himself in that category but hasn't proven to be there yet !

Once he proves himself to be worth that kind of cash then go for it i guess even as ridiculous as it is but to this point he hasn't taken his team any where, sure he's a decent QB but until they go deep into the play offs each year he doesn't have the proof that he is worth elite money because he's not a elite player !! 

You can ask but the proof ain't in the pudding !! He's trying to pull a AB ...

4 hours ago, Needle said:

The problem those QBs above have is they are on their 2nd or 3rd contracts.  Rodgers is lauded as the best passer of this generation.  Even his greatness could not overcome bad drafts and stale coaching. 

If you have a franchise Qb you pay them.  When you do that other parts of your team atrophy due to lack of resources.  Paying a guy for 3 to 4 plus years Franchise money when he is not a top 5 or 10 Qb places you in NFL purgatory.  You wont be bad but you are not winning a superbowl either. 

Basically, does Dallas pay Dak then chose Zeke or Cooper?  Jaylon Smith or Byron Jones.  Once you pay Dak the quality of the Dallas roster slowly goes down.  Is Dak good enough to win without a loaded defense and elite running game?  Many think not nearly as much.  Draft a guy after the season, sell Dak to the highest bidder.  Double down on the roster quality.  With the picks from Dak or use Dak in a package to move into position to draft a highly heralded Qb in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/12/2019 at 5:35 PM, Boatdrinks said:

It’s the way the league has been going for awhile. If you are a good ( not great ) starting QB and you’re nearing free agency, you are going to get paid. It will be the largest deal to date or close to it. Not sure where the end is, if it’s even in sight yet. 

The new CBA needs to put a cap on individual player salaries before the non QBs end up getting $15 an hour.

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I have a serious question for you; are you a Bills fan? I'm never quite sure. Because the notion that the fanbase wouldn't be excited by a young QB with a 32-16 record and a 96 QB rating seems so far fetched that I have my doubts. I can see Patriots, Packers, and Saints fans having trepidation, but certainly not our's. 

We've gone through Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and EJ Manuel to name a few. Your perspective doesn't seem to jive with someone who's had high hopes for these guys only to see them falter miserably.

There is ZERO doubt in my mind that fans would be head over heels excited in this scenario. They would strongly dislike a 40 mil request by Josh; I'll grant you that. But overall, thrilled.

Cowboy fans are spoiled as they bitched about White until he left, bitched about Romo until he left, and now are going to B word about Prescott until he leaves.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Looks like a lot of these posts are debating whether Dak is a good QB or not. The topic is very much "is he worth $40 million/year" and not many have made a solid counter argument to WEO's contention that he is not. 

So, to those debating WEO, what do y'all think? Is Dak worth that much money ? 

My opinion, from a very limited number of games watched, is that he does NOT elevate the team with his play. He is pretty much a game manager and hence is not worth top-5 money. I know NoSaint will come here and say that $40MM today will be middle of the road 2 years from now, but we have to evaluate him on his worth now with what he has achieved to date. 

I get what C.Biscuit is saying - he is justified to get as much money as he can wrangle. I even agree with him on that point. But that is not the debate here. 

He isnt.  The goal is to win championships and you cant do that paying a single player that much of the cap.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:09 PM, ganesh said:

Players are looking for the best possible deals as there are no guarantees in the NFL.  Also, for many of them this is all they will make in their entire career.  So future proofing for covering another 40+ years of their life is in their best interest. 

Comparing to the Bills of the 90's is irrelevant. The super stars of the 90's did get paid their above-market value for what they did.  A million than is same as 30M now. 

This is all above revenue sharing between owners and players.  The players are asking because the owners have the necessary revenue.  Do you think the Owners will really indulge in this if the player request exceeds the owners cost + profits.  No way. 

It doesn't matter to us what Prescott did or did not do.  The Cowboys need to evaluate him and his contract request as per how they are running their organization. 

Capitalism allows anyone to negotiate what they thing they can get from the known pool.  They are just trying to shift the  percentages.  

The problem is the percentage is already set.  So in shifting the percentage- he is not shifting from owners to players - he is shifting player to player.  Him taking more means less for others on the team - meaning at some point a veteran making 3 million and talent to help win - gets replaced by a less talented rookie.  It means potentially another star player - a Zeke, a Cooper, a ProBowl OL, etc either gets less or gets cut or can’t resign.

I can see the Cowboys doing everything to resign Cooper, Zeke, and Dak and then watching as the best OL in football erodes further and they wonder why none of the 3 are as effective.