Dak Prescott seeking new extension worth $40M per year.

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, T master said:

Greed runs the NFL now the players are a far cry from what they were back when the Bills were winning in the 90's, use to be if you made a million dollars you would be set but these players now are just money hungry & to play a game that they supposedly love i don't get it !! 

Sure it's hard work but come on man !! I believe that AB & Leveon Bell's actions have had a lot to do with what these younger players are doing . The owners of these teams need to band together & not give in to the high demands that these guys are asking for when is enough , enough ? 

I was reading a thing on Brady  today his family is selling their house in New England & they have a house in Cali, & one in some foreign country & one in Montana, & another one some where in the states WTF !! 

I know being comfortable is one thing but these young guys are just pushing it & i for one hope they don't allow these guys to push them to those limits, it would be one thing if Prescott had taken them to the play offs repeatedly & even took them to the brink of the SB but to this point he hasn't earned that kind of pay day !!

Players are looking for the best possible deals as there are no guarantees in the NFL.  Also, for many of them this is all they will make in their entire career.  So future proofing for covering another 40+ years of their life is in their best interest. 

Comparing to the Bills of the 90's is irrelevant. The super stars of the 90's did get paid their above-market value for what they did.  A million than is same as 30M now. 

This is all above revenue sharing between owners and players.  The players are asking because the owners have the necessary revenue.  Do you think the Owners will really indulge in this if the player request exceeds the owners cost + profits.  No way. 

It doesn't matter to us what Prescott did or did not do.  The Cowboys need to evaluate him and his contract request as per how they are running their organization. 

Capitalism allows anyone to negotiate what they thing they can get from the known pool.  They are just trying to shift the  percentages.  

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

$30M would put him tied for 5th highest QB cap hit -

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

that already seems like too much money for Prescott. I can’t make any argument that puts him as a top 5 QB in the NFL. No way in hell would I go up to $35M (which would make him tied for highest QB cap hit in the NFL).

It seems in the QB world that being middle of the pack effects length more than annual pay. These guys get paid top 5 but year to year structuring often... even though the GM clearly isn’t brave enough to move on so it’s essentially guaranteed unless they flop to a top 3 pick 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

That would be insane. I think 30M for him would be pushing it. That much cap dedicated to a non-game changing QB pretty much guarantees you won't win a Superbowl

Exactly my thoughts.  Add to that what they are likely to pay Zeke, and they might have an unreal amount of $$ tied up in a good-but-not-great QB and a RB.

This stuff is just ridiculous.  It's not just the player, it's the agents that are doing this.  I mean think about this from an agents standpoint.  IF you are an agent, you probably know the guy isn't worth that, but you will push to get it to sell yourself and services to other players when they come into the league.  Hey, "look at what I got for this guy.  I can do the same for you when your time comes."

The more I think about this, the more I think that Prescott  has really embarrassed himself.  He wants to be the highest payed player in the NFL! 

There is no legitimacy to his salary goal, a complete pipe dream.And Prescott turned down a new 30 million a year contract!  

It makes him look arrogant and ignorant. He is making a fool of himself.

8 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Going by the cap hit the Cowboys have 64 milllion tied up in 5 players on offense not including Prescott or Elliott. Should be interesting to see how they handle this. 

That's what happens when you let Jerruh run the organization.  They haven't won the SB in almost 25 years.

I'd tell Dak to just sign up for more Chunky Soup commercials.  It did wonders for Donovan McNabb's career.

Or, I'd make the offer for 25M per with the qualification that this means they can't sign Elliott.  Or, he can go for 16M per and they keep his RB, who makes him look much better than he really is.  

The minute anybody starts talking about the yearly value of an extension, call your accountant and open an umbrella because the financial ***** is going to rain down around you.

AAV (Average Annual Value) DOES NOT WORK if you are only looking at an extension. It only works if you are looking at all the years he will be under contract and all the dollars he will receive under both the extension and the original contract combined. Agents, players, teams and media routinely throw out this figure used in a wrong and misleading way. Happens every time you see people talk about an extension.

For example, let's say a guy has a contract that still has four more years on it and will be paid $4 mill over those four years. (I know the logistics of this don't actually work ... it's only an example to show the financial flimflammery that goes on in these cases.) He has outperformed the contract and the team wants to extend him. So they give him an extension that will pay him $56 mill - a $20 mill signing bonus today, and $36 mill in salary in the fifth and sixth years of the contract.

What that means is that he now has a 6-year contract that will pay him $60 mill over those 6 years. $10 mill a year AAV, right? But that's not what you'll hear. It'll come out that the guy signed a 2 year extension for $56 million new money, which is then represented as a $28 mill per year extension. It's absolute bull####, but that's what you'll hear.

Now, if Prescott is actually expecting $40 mill per year over the life of the whole contract, he's nuts, or more likely he's only establishing a bargaining position. He certainly shouldn't be given $40 mill a year. But likely that's NOT what he's actually asking for.

Oh, and anything bad that happens to the Cowboys makes me happy. I hope Prescott is actually making the insane demand he's represented as making. But unfortunately, I seriously doubt that he is.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

The more I think about this, the more I think that Prescott  has really embarrassed himself.  He wants to be the highest payed player in the NFL! 

There is no legitimacy to his salary goal, a complete pipe dream.And Prescott turned down a new 30 million a year contract!  

It makes him look arrogant and ignorant. He is making a fool of himself.

Again, did he turn down a 30 million a year contract? Outrageous!!

Or did he turn down a 30 million a year extension? Because that could make complete sense. A $30 mill a year extension might easily turn out to be $17 - $25 mill per year over the period he will be signed for.

That's a huge difference, and I don't think anyone out there has reported the specifics yet.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, JoeF said:

image.png.a9f21521569a891a4725912b721645e5.pngPlease Jeruh, Please do it!!!!

If all goes to plan we'll have our own QB to pay in a few years. Let's hope it's not up to $50 million a season by then.

Paying Dak $40 million would really screw the QB market over. The 15 QB's better than him will want a new deal immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

This stuff is just ridiculous.  It's not just the player, it's the agents that are doing this.  I mean think about this from an agents standpoint.  IF you are an agent, you probably know the guy isn't worth that, but you will push to get it to sell yourself and services to other players when they come into the league.  Hey, "look at what I got for this guy.  I can do the same for you when your time comes."

Yeah, and they get their percentage when the deal is signed. Their job is to get the players they represent every single dime possible (and by extension themselves). If they can get a deal done, good for them. But sometimes those deals aren't good for the NFL as a whole. But that's not their job. Their job is to make their players money.

12 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

$30M would put him tied for 5th highest QB cap hit -

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

that already seems like too much money for Prescott. I can’t make any argument that puts him as a top 5 QB in the NFL. No way in hell would I go up to $35M (which would make him tied for highest QB cap hit in the NFL).

scary to think about a potential number then for Josh if he pan's out....Dak at $30-$40 mil?....seriously?......................

I need to know the guaranteed money before I laugh at his him turning that down.  I would be looking to get somewhere close to what Wentz got (107 million guaranteed) if I was him.  Forty million per year is ridiculous though and is obviously a bargaining tactic.