Concert Pet Peeves

22 minutes ago, row_33 said:

image.png.c9565ca2273b2f2c357969e10dff5edf.png

Sadly, gone but not forgotten. 

Many of those "better live than recorded" groups were old school guys who were top notch musicians who could play the **** out of their catalog live.   No auto-tune or recorded backing tracks for these guys...

image.jpeg

Edited by Lurker
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Jerk said:

Live music never sounds as good as the recorded versions.

I'd say the exact opposite: recorded versions never do justice to being at the show. (Then again, I listen to a lot of jam bands, where the live performance matters most.) Yeah, I know the sound quality is best at the sound board, but that doesn't make up for the magic of experiencing the show as it happens.

44 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I'd say the exact opposite: recorded versions never do justice to being at the show. (Then again, I listen to a lot of jam bands, where the live performance matters most.) Yeah, I know the sound quality is best at the sound board, but that doesn't make up for the magic of experiencing the show as it happens.

depends, lots of Glenn Gould and The Beatles is all we got after they ditched live performance in their career.

Cream albums were better than the jams recorded (to me....)

15 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Well yeah, it is all about the experience! Not like sitting home with a 30 pack watching a football doubleheader!

enjoy the limits you can take, a day will come when you realize you are "a bit too old" for this anymore...

roller coaster enjoyment ends suddenly, even concerts....   :(

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

enjoy the limits you can take, a day will come when you realize you are "a bit too old" for this anymore...

roller coaster enjoyment ends suddenly, even concerts....   :(

Ha! oh I know! I know guys still doing it.

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

bands who expect the audience to sing the song for the singer piss me off royally

When I saw Jimmy Page in 1987, he had the crowd sing Stairway to Heaven in its entirety.  Singer never even took the stage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

When I saw Jimmy Page in 1987, he had the crowd sing Stairway to Heaven in its entirety.  Singer never even took the stage.

When Skynyrd first reunited after the plane crash Johnny Van Zant (Ronnie's brother and current lead singer) would leave the stage for Free Bird saying nobody could do his brother's song justice. Until the guitar solo, it was just a lone spotlight on the mic stand and the crowd sang.

Queen did a tribute concert and intended Love of my Life to just be an instrumental, but the crowd wouldn't have it and sang along. 

On 8/20/2019 at 4:30 PM, section122 said:

Huge Beth Hart fan.  If you like Blues she is a must listen.  Her stuff with Joe Bonamassa is absolutely amazing.  Check out I'd rather go Blind, I'll take care of you , and I Love you more that you'll ever know are good places to start.  Really the whole live in Amsterdam record is phenomenal.

For her solo stuff, sister heroine, i'll leave the light on, ugliest house on the block, and Caught out in the rain are good places to start.

I didn't get a chance to see her last year and was bummed about it but I listen to her a lot at work during the day.  Give any of the songs I mentioned a try.  She has some that I'm not a huge fan of (nutbush city) but pretty much every artist has those.

I am convinced. Been listening to Beth, and Beth Hart made me cry. My 1st impression was meh. I was way wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I am convinced. Been listening to Beth, and Beth Hart made me cry. My 1st impression was meh. I was way wrong.

Gotta see her live.  The way she works the crowd and relates to the crowd is very impressive.  She's got a little Janis in her.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

What a tribute to Page...he had the audience and he knew it. 

He came walking out with the red double-neck Gibson and the place (RPI Fieldhouse in Troy, NY - small venue, less than 10,000) erupted.  He went to the mic and said, "I have a feeling you know what I'm about to play."  He started playing and motioned to the crowd to sing.  It was pretty awesome.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

He came walking out with the red double-neck Gibson and the place (RPI Fieldhouse in Troy, NY - small venue, less than 10,000) erupted.  He went to the mic and said, "I have a feeling you know what I'm about to play."  He started playing and motioned to the crowd to sing.  It was pretty awesome.

Amazing! Troy, NY of all places. Priceless memory for those in attendance.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:07 PM, Reed83HOF said:

what a rant/complain thread - are any of you peeps ever happy about anything? Also, I will get off your lawns and leave now 

giphy.gif

get your teacher at recess to tell you what "pet peeve" means?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1