Concert Pet Peeves

I respect performers who now have a no phones policy at their shows.  You literally have to seal your phone in a bag for the duration of the show.  I don't know how that works for people who have an emergency, but I still like the fact it keeps the "concert filmers" at bay.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I respect performers who now have a no phones policy at their shows.  You literally have to seal your phone in a bag for the duration of the show.  I don't know how that works for people who have an emergency, but I still like the fact it keeps the "concert filmers" at bay.

To me that seems to be taking it too far.

1) I do like to use my phone before the show, between sets, etc.

2) Like you said, an emergency.

3) Do they actually check that you have a phone? What's stopping me form just saying I don't have one, or didn't bring it.

I'm all for phone free concerts. But just implement a policy that you get kicked TF out without warning if you violate it.

9 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

To me that seems to be taking it too far.

1) I do like to use my phone before the show, between sets, etc.

2) Like you said, an emergency.

3) Do they actually check that you have a phone? What's stopping me form just saying I don't have one, or didn't bring it.

I'm all for phone free concerts. But just implement a policy that you get kicked TF out without warning if you violate it.

I got caught taking pictures at a Rush concert in 1987.  Guy came up to me, grabbed my arm and yelled, "GIMME THE ***** FILM, NOW!"  So I ripped the film out of the camera, making sure it was ruined, and gave it to him. 

My buddy sitting a couple seats down took pics all night and didn't get busted.  So I got what I wanted, anyway.

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I got caught taking pictures at a Rush concert in 1987.  Guy came up to me, grabbed my arm and yelled, "GIMME THE ***** FILM, NOW!"  So I ripped the film out of the camera, making sure it was ruined, and gave it to him. 

My buddy sitting a couple seats down took pics all night and didn't get busted.  So I got what I wanted, anyway.

I was at a Skynyrd/Kid Rock concert at Darien Lake. Standing right up front on the lawn. Some guy next to me was filming in a way that was harming nobody. But the @sshole security guard made me miss half the show because he was standing in front of him constantly making sure he wasn't filming. 

19 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

That is quite an endorsement Gugney. KWS blew me away (15 years ago). I've never heard of Beth Hart, but if she/he outplayed KWS, I take notice. Gonna look him/her up right now. Thank you.

Just watched the first video that popped up. Uhm, really? NFW her or her band outdid KWS. She can scream, I'll give her that. Not my taste though. I will give her a couple more tries.

Huge Beth Hart fan.  If you like Blues she is a must listen.  Her stuff with Joe Bonamassa is absolutely amazing.  Check out I'd rather go Blind, I'll take care of you , and I Love you more that you'll ever know are good places to start.  Really the whole live in Amsterdam record is phenomenal.

For her solo stuff, sister heroine, i'll leave the light on, ugliest house on the block, and Caught out in the rain are good places to start.

I didn't get a chance to see her last year and was bummed about it but I listen to her a lot at work during the day.  Give any of the songs I mentioned a try.  She has some that I'm not a huge fan of (nutbush city) but pretty much every artist has those.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

My brother attended a 1973 Pink Floyd concert at the Aud. Apparently some guy fell to his death from the upper facade.

That's crazy.  I looked it up and according to the wiki page for that tour the person that they landed on was the one that died, which makes it even more tragic

The whole encore thing can just go away, just finish up the set with those songs. No need to leave and have people yell while everyone can see that the show isn't over by watching the stagehands set up for the encore. We can all tell if the lights are on.

Starting to see more of this and I like it.

And on another note, arena and stadium concerts are not my thing.

8 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I recently found someone who sat in the back row of the front section, center stage, right by the mixing booth and recorded the whole Stones concert. Not great quality, but good enough that I can relive the memories if I wanted to.

I used to do bootlegs, getting as close to the sound board as you could was key for getting a good recording. Now it's not worth it since everyone carry's phones now. I saw one persons recording of a concert from the front row, left side of the stage. And it was a stage that was maybe 10 feet above the ground (outdoor festival). Half the time you can't see the band, just the stage front. I like the camera I have now, it looks like a little point and shoot, but it has an 80x optical zoom on it, 120x digital zoom. I can sit in the upper deck of a venue and zoom right in on the lead singers face. Now I'm rambling like EII. Back to topic, I wish artists/bands would sell recordings of their concerts. It would be easy enough to throw it up on their website as MP3's within a day or so of the show. I know I'd buy several of the concerts I've been to. BNL did this one year for the Christmas Tour. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

That's crazy.  I looked it up and according to the wiki page for that tour the person that they landed on was the one that died, which makes it even more tragic

No kidding. It wa big news at the time.

On 8/19/2019 at 8:01 PM, Rico said:

Nothing more annoying than if you are sitting in aisle seats and your view of the stage is interrupted by people going up & down the aisle all night.

That happened to us at the U2 concert at New Era.   Great show, great seats and these damn people next to us kept getting up to get beer--then getting up to get rid of it--all night long.   Really took something away from what was otherwise a great night...

On 8/12/2019 at 3:52 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

What Pet Peeves do you have at concerts? From fellow concert goes, staff, performers, etc.

• People who feel the need to film the entire show. I get wanting a snippet of one or two of your favorite songs. But no need to film every moment of the show. Especially when you're putting it up in the air so people behind you can't see. At risk of sounding like a boomer, put your damn phone away.
  • Wasting time not playing. I get you need time between songs to rest, tune up, change instruments, etc. But I don't need the same lame attmept at stnadup that you do in every city about how great the city is. Also, unless you're a known virtuoso on your instrument (I'm talking Clapton, Peart, etc.), keep random solos that aren't during the song to a minimum. I saw Charlie Daniels Band once, and they had a five minute drum solo. Nobody is paying to see a drum solo at a country music concert.
  • People who get up, and walk around during lesser known songs. I paid to see the whole concert. I know you're not familiar with the song, sometimes I'm not, but I want to hear it. 

In b4 Old.Man.Yells.At.Cloud.Jpg

One time the person in front of me was doing Facebook live the whole night. 

I went on Facebook and commented on her feed. She stopped quickly.

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

When you go see a band that's been around forever with an extensive catalog and they say...here's a song off our new album. Immediate bathroom or beer run. 

I hear ya, but the flip side for me is I'm less interested in seeing bands that aren't writing and performing new songs. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Back to topic, I wish artists/bands would sell recordings of their concerts. It would be easy enough to throw it up on their website as MP3's within a day or so of the show. I know I'd buy several of the concerts I've been to. BNL did this one year for the Christmas Tour. 

There are more and more artists doing that. The Elton John concert I went to is available for like $20 bucks. One cool thing they had that I didn't know about until after the show, was with your ticket you got a code. Once you downloaded the app, you can put your headphones in and hear the show, and you had like a little mixing board, so if you wanted to turn up the the piano, vocals, etc, you can make the sound however you wanted. Not sure how I feel about that though.

Part of me says it's good because it will help with poorly mixed concerts, or venues that just aren't good for music (I find most basketball/hockey arenas to be that way). But then part of me feels like you might be missing the experience. Maybe that's because I'm an old man stuck in a young man's body.