Concert Pet Peeves

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

The old standby--paying big bucks for good seats and then having to stand for the whole show because of the mouth breathers in front of you...

My uncle’s surprise birthday gift was third row for Tom Jones around 1968, his fiancée thought it would be fun.

must have been about 10 percent men in the crowd and the women screamed the whole time and threw panties and other interesting things onstage the whole time

Just glad I went to see all the big time rock bands I did in the '70's as a teen.

Never thought those same bands be around touring & gouging when I was in my 50's

Amazing how many bad bands from the past still trying to squeeze a buck out of anyone.

18 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Just glad I went to see all the big time rock bands I did in the '70's as a teen.

Never thought those same bands be around touring & gouging when I was in my 50's

Amazing how many bad bands from the past still trying to squeeze a buck out of anyone.

The Who with Moon was the greatest stage show ever

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I bring my iPad. 

And earplugs. I am reading a book on my iPad while hubby is enjoying the show. Works out well for both of us. ?

note: I groan when we go to the opera as I have to behave like an adult and pay attention (unless I fall asleep). And I like the opera a lot more than concerts and musicals. 

If it's a concert my wife doesn't think she'd enjoy too much, she just sends me on my way. Instead of buying two cheap seats, she bought me one floor seat for the Stones. It was awesome.

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Bands that play the same setlist two nights in a row in the same city. Mix up a song or two for the die hard fan who shows up both nights.

Also,  encores  always seemed contrived and anti-climactic to me. We all know you're coming out for a few more songs whether it's a great crowd or not. Play your songs, end on a high note and be on your way. 

I think your first point depends on the band honestly. If we're talking a moderately popular classic rock band, I think they can get away with it. Not too many people going on tour to follow REO Speedwagon for example.

The second point, I'm 100% on board with. The fake planned encore has ruined legitimate encores. Only one time did I see a band that did their fake encore, and then because the crowd kept asking, they actually came back out and took a few actual requests. 

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

If it's a concert my wife doesn't think she'd enjoy too much, she just sends me on my way. Instead of buying two cheap seats, she bought me one floor seat for the Stones. It was awesome.

My husband has done that. When the prices get high and it isn't worth my being bored, he will either find someone else to go with, or buy himself a very nice seat (or a seat + meet and greet).

37 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I think your first point depends on the band honestly. If we're talking a moderately popular classic rock band, I think they can get away with it. Not too many people going on tour to follow REO Speedwagon for example.

The second point, I'm 100% on board with. The fake planned encore has ruined legitimate encores. Only one time did I see a band that did their fake encore, and then because the crowd kept asking, they actually came back out and took a few actual requests. 

New Order dealt with this by rotating concerts with the first being friendly and happy and 2 encores.

and the next night with the same set list would ignore the audience, a few with back turned the whole time and not even a hope of an encore

both were cherished, the second a bit more preferred 

On 8/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Recently saw Silversun Pickups, no encore, mainly because it was an outside venue, in the middle of a town that had a noise ordinance. At 9:59pm, they wrapped up and said thanks. 

On 8/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

When I saw Kenny Wayne Shepard last year, Beth Hart opened.

She tore the roof off the place.  NOBODY wanted her to stop playing.  It was easy to see that she was told to keep playing and that her encores were not contrived.  She ended up playing about 90 minutes, which I am positive was not the plan.

KWS played his full set and the show ran way later than anyone expected.

I left there knowing I'd see Beth Hart anytime, anywhere and that I'd never see KWS as a headliner again. She blew him away.

22 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Recently saw Silversun Pickups, no encore, mainly because it was an outside venue, in the middle of a town that had a noise ordinance. At 9:59pm, they wrapped up and said thanks. 

A few years ago I saw Warren Haynes and  noticed he had a clock on one of the amps. Final note of the night was literally on the hour.

12 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I saw a band play a post game concert at the Astros game. They said "So you've all probably noticed we haven't played our most popular song yet. Usually, at this point in the show we leave the stage, you guys cheer, and we come back out for the encore. But that involves walking down steps, and into the dugout, and it'd be awkward for all parties involved. So we're just gonna turn around for about 30 seconds. You guys pretend we left the stage and cheer, and we'll turn back around like we're come back to the stage and play." 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I saw a band play a post game concert at the Astros game. They said "So you've all probably noticed we haven't played our most popular song yet. Usually, at this point in the show we leave the stage, you guys cheer, and we come back out for the encore. But that involves walking down steps, and into the dugout, and it'd be awkward for all parties involved. So we're just gonna turn around for about 30 seconds. You guys pretend we left the stage and cheer, and we'll turn back around like we're come back to the stage and play." 

Why, pray tell, did you not name the band?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Honestly, couldn't remember. It was faith and family night. Christian band. Musically speaking they were adult contemporary. Wasn't really my cup of tea but it wasn't bad for a free show. Just googled it. MercyMe.

Oh, I'm sure people were just dying to hear their hits, LOL.

13 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Sounds like a Nickleback move to me..........

I remember going to an Eurythmics concert years ago. There was a guy so s$$$ faced that he passed out on the floor in front of me. When he starting  coming out of it, I asked him what he thought of the "Stones" concert. He was like yeah their good man!

The thing is, you can take video/pictures without putting them high in the air to bother people. I usually take a few pictures of the highlights, and one verse and chorus of my favorite song or two. I hold it literally right above or below my eye line as to not bother anybody else.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Oh, I'm sure people were just dying to hear their hits, LOL.

That was half the fun, the people watching. It was such an odd crowd. 60% or so were just like me. People who went for the game and stayed for the concert because "What the hell?" The other half were church groups and you'd have thought it was The Beatles with special guest Elvis Presley the way they treated them. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1