Elton John or Billy Joel

Elton John/Billy Joel  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your personal favorite between the two?

46 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Yeah, you just hit the nail on the head. Elton John is richer, but Billy Joel is richer, ya dig?

Yeah I had some nostalgia listening to his music when I started the other thread.  Seems that may be his primary concern these days 

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Not remotely better in any way, shape or form

i guess you were swarmed by US payola, you can’t help it

He sings better.

He writes music better.

He writes lyrics better.

He plays piano better.

I don't know what you're listening to, brother.  

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So close but I'll give it to Elton.  

BTW...Elton didn't write his songs.  Or maybe just the lyrics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_with_lyrics_by_Bernie_Taupin

Neither did Jerry Garcia.........but everyone LOVES him. Robert Hunter did a lot of the heavy lifting.

Elton forever.

6 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Odd, I saw him on his current farewell tour and it was one of his best. . 

His Buffalo concert in September was excellent.    He actually rocked out on Levon, which has never been one of my favorites but was the highlight of the night for me...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Odd, I saw him on his current farewell tour and it was one of his best. A lot of the songs he would sit and talk for a minute about his writing process for the song or any stories about it, etc. Honestly, the more concerts I go to like that, the better. I don't really care about hearing the pandering "It's great to be in Houston tonight." Just play the effin song. 

Sorry, I need more showmanship than that.  But, I did hear he had more of it this last tour. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You may like this.  "Bridge & Tunnel Summit" New Jersey meets New York.

The first comment:

This is what happens when the gods come down from Olympus.

I've listened to those two way more than any other artists in my life.  I've seen Bruce 27 times and Billy 4-5 times.  

16 hours ago, Augie said:

My sister went to a 50th birthday party in Newport, RI. Very specific, do NOT be late to the estate (I saw it from the road, maybe the coolest house in Newport!) or the gates will be LOCKED. OK, they showed up on time. After a while a helicopter comes in and Elton John pops out! Who knew he did birthday parties?  How crazy rich is THAT? 

Elton did Rush Limbaugh's wedding of all people. Him and Paul McCartney have both been known to do private parties. With a $1,000,000 price tag.

11 hours ago, Lurker said:

His Buffalo concert in September was excellent.    He actually rocked out on Levon, which has never been one of my favorites but was the highlight of the night for me...

I said the the same exact thing to my wife after the concert. I could usually take or leave that song, but the rock and roll outro that he did was the best part of the concert. 

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

He sings better.

He writes music better.

He writes lyrics better.

He plays piano better.

I don't know what you're listening to, brother.  

I'd say Billy sings better. He writes lyrics better, granted by default. Although if we included Bernie Taupin it's a tough call. Elton writes music better in my opinion. But they're both so good on piano that I can't pick. Although I still say Billy Powell from Lynyrd Skynyrd blows them both out of the water when it comes to pure piano skill. 

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

This is a great poll. 

While close Elton has it on volume.

It’s okay to be totally ignorant on 2/3 of his output...

12 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I'd say Billy sings better. He writes lyrics better, granted by default. Although if we included Bernie Taupin it's a tough call. Elton writes music better in my opinion. But they're both so good on piano that I can't pick. Although I still say Billy Powell from Lynyrd Skynyrd blows them both out of the water when it comes to pure piano skill. 

Jools Holland