Elton John or Billy Joel

Elton John/Billy Joel  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your personal favorite between the two?

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Inspired by the Billy Joel  thread, I decided to see who people like better. Although I think Billy Joel is a better singer, Elton is the better songwriter, and I just enjoy his songs a little bit more. 

Its a tie for me, but I saw them both play the same show (they would alternate a few songs at a time).  This was at the Nassau Coliseum (Billy Joel's home crowd) and Elton John was hands down a better performer that particular night.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Steve O said:

If the question is about music it's is a close call. If the question is about whose ex's I'd prefer, not a close call.

When a UK and US music person were in the same category, the quirkiness of the UK artist  almost made it always no contest for the Brit

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

A few colleagues stopped caring after TC, that was a good point of departure, not many other albums from that early in a career have met this mark

I really like Don't Shoot the Piano Player. But my mom bought that album when I was young, and it was my first introduction to his music, so it may be more of a personal/nostalgic thing for me.

19 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I really like Don't Shoot the Piano Player. But my mom bought that album when I was young, and it was my first introduction to his music, so it may be more of a personal/nostalgic thing for me.

Isn’t it always?  GYBR is the other album in rotation 

11 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

IDK I feel like Billy Joel is criminally underrated in this day and age.  He had something real to say.  I mean, "We Didn't Start The Fire"...

He could easily tack on several verses to that song since it came out.

Thing is his newest material is from 1993, he more just goes on legacy nowadays 

Edited by Another Fan

My sister went to a 50th birthday party in Newport, RI. Very specific, do NOT be late to the estate (I saw it from the road, maybe the coolest house in Newport!) or the gates will be LOCKED. OK, they showed up on time. After a while a helicopter comes in and Elton John pops out! Who knew he did birthday parties?  How crazy rich is THAT? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

F ... both of them, I'd rather listen to Tom Petty

But for musical talent and vocal purity, I'd rather listen to a cat hung by its tail against a window, scratching all of its claws on the glass than Tom Petty.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But for musical talent and vocal purity, I'd rather listen to a cat hung by its tail against a window, scratching all of its claws on the glass than Tom Petty.

So, you’re a big cat fan? 

54 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

He could easily tack on several verses to that song since it came out.

Thing is his newest material is from 1993, he more just goes on legacy nowadays 

Yeah, you just hit the nail on the head. Elton John is richer, but Billy Joel is richer, ya dig?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steve O said:

If the question is about music it's is a close call. If the question is about whose ex's I'd prefer, not a close call.

I’d chose to live Billy’s life if I had to make that kind of decision

Edited by row_33

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Billy Joel is better at everything music-related.  By a lot.

Not remotely better in any way, shape or form

i guess you were swarmed by US payola, you can’t help it