Elton John or Billy Joel

Elton John/Billy Joel  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your personal favorite between the two?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

So close but I'll give it to Elton.  

BTW...Elton didn't write his songs.  Or maybe just the lyrics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_with_lyrics_by_Bernie_Taupin

Elton writes all of his music, no lyrics. Bernie Taupin wrote most of Elton's lyrics. They have a weird working relationship. Bernie will give his lyrics to Elton, who then bangs them out on the piano, usually in a matter of minutes. They're rarely in the same room together. They were working by mail for a little while and Elton had put music to like 20 of Bernie's songs before they'd ever met in person. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Elton writes all of his music, no lyrics. Bernie Taupin wrote most of Elton's lyrics. They have a weird working relationship. Bernie will give his lyrics to Elton, who then bangs them out on the piano, usually in a matter of minutes. They're rarely in the same room together. They were working by mail for a little while and Elton had put music to like 20 of Bernie's songs before they'd ever met in person. 

That's actually pretty cool.  I knew of Bernie but not in depth.

I honestly think Tiny Dancer is one of the best songs ever written.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly think Tiny Dancer is one of the best songs every written.  

:blink:

I could probably name about 500 songs better than Tony Danza.  

And no, none of them would be Tom Petty songs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's actually pretty cool.  I knew of Bernie but not in depth.

I honestly think Tiny Dancer is one of the best songs ever written.  

Rocketman shows a pretty cool look into their working relationship. They were even roommates for a little bit while they were starting out. Even then, they usually worked from separate rooms. Also, if you have Amazon Prime, "Classic Albums: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is pretty good too. 

Just now, DC Tom said:

:blink:

I could probably name about 500 songs better than Tony Danza.  

And no, none of them would be Tom Petty songs.

My favorite Elton John song is "Bennie and the chest."

"She's got electric boobs, her mom has two, you know I thought that they were double dee-hees, oh.... B, B, B, Bennie and her chest."

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Billy Joel is a far better songwriter, lyricist, and pianist than Sir Reginald Dwight.

Good thing Elton has someone else to write his lyrics

Billy must be some American thing, I never got it.

Neither top 10 acts for me from 1963 to 1983, Elton top 20 

• Like (+1) 2

Elton is one of the most disappointing concerts I've ever seen...............He'd a do a song, stand up, take a bow, rinse and repeat.  

The only song my top 25 of Billy Joel songs is Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Good thing Elton has someone else to write his lyrics

Billy must be some American thing, I never got it.

Neither top 10 acts for me from 1963 to 1983, Elton top 20 

Same here... but a lot of people like pop hits though. Neither make my top 500.

5 minutes ago, bbb said:

Elton is one of the most disappointing concerts I've ever seen...............He'd a do a song, stand up, take a bow, rinse and repeat.  

The only song my top 25 of Billy Joel songs is Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. 

Odd, I saw him on his current farewell tour and it was one of his best. A lot of the songs he would sit and talk for a minute about his writing process for the song or any stories about it, etc. Honestly, the more concerts I go to like that, the better. I don't really care about hearing the pandering "It's great to be in Houston tonight." Just play the effin song. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

? 

Billy couldn’t have released a deep cut cult classic album as a character nowhere close to his reality

as Elton did performing as a Wild West hired gun and more badassery as a Confederate Southerner before and after the War

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Billy couldn’t have released a deep cut cult classic album as a character nowhere close to his reality

as Elton did performing as a Wild West hired gun and more badassery as a Confederate Southerner before and after the War

Elton has released two full albums of country songs. Plus more than a handful on his other albums. He's so versitle. A ballad, a rock number, a country song, all on one album.

7 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Elton has released two full albums of country songs. Plus more than a handful on his other albums. He's so versitle. A ballad, a rock number, a country song, all on one album.

A few colleagues stopped caring after TC, that was a good point of departure, not many other albums from that early in a career have met this mark