Study: Asian carp could find plenty of food in Lake Michigan

T&C

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes.  The Asian carp are swimming like the Dickens.  They are going to invade the Lakes like the Dickens.

This is what we have been told the last 20 years.

But... If the government gives 1/2 billion to the right people, hopefully more $$$$$$$$, the CarpApocalypse will surely be stopped.  The EnviroEvangelists will make sure of this and Baby Jesus won't let the impending doom that has been predicted the last 20 years crash the Great Lakes and the people who enjoy them their way of life!

Only YOU and your tax dollars can help!

How quickly can you install some pneumatic tubing?

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/12/20801930/fish-tube-meme-whooshh-wfst-dams-environmental-impact

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

He is......The *****.

Pay attention! 

?

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

Why is it that we can only eat the ocean fish into extinction?  

These seem stupidly easy to catch and would make a great source of cat food at a minimum

Because picky N.American diets.  People hate change.

The first Europeans on the west coast refused to eat salmon because it looked yucky.  Go figure.

We are eating carp into extinction... Well the rest of the world is.  The rest of the world is a polluted cesspool too.  Yet, we are protecting our ecosystems here... So the Asian carp are taking off... Except we refuse to eat them because of the stigma they are rough.  Yet, some are coming around and figuring out what the rest of the world knows:

14 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

& you are who?  

Just your friendly non-Russian gov't agent:

3179f946c55975266b8cef405c503718.jpg

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Why is it that we can only eat the ocean fish into extinction?  

These seem stupidly easy to catch and would make a great source of cat food at a minimum

Good call, because that was one of my first thoughts when I read the article.

Surprised no one has mentioned Nutria. They are all over the place down here now, found one under my truck and thought it was a beaver at first. The lake by the hospital is loaded with them.

Lake Michigan is a "food desert."   There are billions of invasive quagga mussels on bottom of Lake.  Guess where they came from?  The Atlantic via the St.Lawrence.

Noboby is demanding they close the St.Lawrence off from the ocean... Closing Toronto off from waterborne transportation.

That OP article never addressed how the Asian carp will spawn in the Great Lakes.  They spawn in rivers. At temps above 70°F... Need ample big current with about 60 miles of river and adequate calm back water.  Nothing like that is found around the Great Lakes.

From way back in 2011:

https://madison.com/sports/recreation/outdoors/durkin-can-t-waste-time-carping-about-invasive-species/article_b08eb166-b3f4-11e0-be4a-001cc4c03286.html

Trust the Polish dude... We are going on 20 years now... 10 since the freak out in 2009

"...Among those dismissing the Asian carp threat is Professor Konrad Dabrowski, an aquaculturalist at Ohio State University’s School of Environment and Natural Resources. He thinks Asian carp can live, but not reproduce, in the Great Lakes and its tributaries. He says these waters don’t provide the necessary water flow and temperatures for these species to successfully spawn.

Dabrowski notes that Europe has brought in and supplemented Asian carp more than 40 years and some never spawned. He doubts these carp could maintain or increase their numbers in the Great Lakes and therefore won’t overwhelm the lakes’ sport-fish populations. (Many sport fish aren’t natives, either, but they taste good and they’re fun to catch, so we’re on their side.)..."

AND, 8 years later... This is holding true, no wishing needed.  It's 2019, 8 years after this 2011 article.  Where are the carp... Still where they have always been.  Down South were they were released from.

"...And don’t you wish we could dismiss their solution as a “politically motivated stunt”? Wouldn’t it be great if we could also assure the public that the canal’s electrical fish barrier — recent news notwithstanding — truly is “a solution that has worked to date.”..."

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

Fer Chrissakes, dude ..................

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

Oh, I have no problem with it being a dupe thread.  I think it deserves its own topic.

But now I need to mentally prepare myself to read Exilde's Magna Carta-sized response!!

i actually believe this is an excellent idea. a separate Asian Carp thread should be created everyday. this way it would preoccupy all of @ExiledInIllinois' time and and keep the rest of the threads on this site sanitized. he can make those threads all about himself and the heavens can then rejoice in the knowledge that the other 99% of the board will not be solely about EIL.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Nice! I like high water!

Damn if it's too low (global warming, we take too much water).  Damn if it's too high (what does that mean?  We go too slow @ the lock? Don't take enough water /smh).

You can't win with this fickle crowd.

I say ***** "Pure Michigan" my azz.  Put on your big boy pants and deal with it.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, Gugny said:

On the other hand, all of @ExiledInIllinois' water pollution practices may actually be keeping Silver Carp OUT of Lake Michigan.

""It's a really toxic soup coming down from the Chicago Area Waterway ..."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190809104939.htm

+1.  Just like the old days.

Create a "dead zone."

MAGA!

On 8/12/2019 at 9:59 AM, Cripple Creek said:

Asian carp have been called the next great sport fish. I think that they will revitalize the industry on the Great Lakes.  The way they go after the baited hook is an amazing sight.

Baited hook is old fashioned. I'd go for sticks of dynomite instead!

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

@ExiledInIllinois   Now here's a REAL Fish 

Anglers catch invasive piranha at popular swimming lake

The bizarre catch of a piranha last week at Westwood Lake in British Columbia, 

The bizarre catch of a piranha last week at Westwood Lake in British Columbia, Canada, is a concern but experts say the public has little to worry about.

“The red-bellied piranha is a tropical fish and cannot survive in our winter climate,” the B.C. Conservation Officer Service stated

I remember as a kid it was all about the Zebra mussells taking over the great lakes, now nothing about them but it's all about the Asian Carp. Asian Carp is ok and the government won't be stepping in unless the Mexican Carp try to get in somehow.

I did wonder if there was an issue with eating them, if there wasn't a problem with it, why not just fish for them and solve the problem by eating them? All they need is for some famous chef or a hipster restaurant to start cooking it and they will be complaining in a few months that there's a shortage....

As for using them in Cat food, are you Mad? Today's pet owner doesn't serve their fur babies anything but the most premium food. Serving them something you would not eat yourself would be like beating the animal or abandoning it. I usually by one of the name brand cat foods at Walmart for my 2 cats, but one day I was at a local pet store buying cat litter and decided to just buy food there so I wouldn't have to make another stop on my way home. The woman at the register seemed disgusted at the fact that I was buying that food and not one of the more expensive premium brands. She gave me 2 sample bags of the premium natural stuff to give them and said "here, give them some of this so they aren't eating the equivelant of junk food everyday"