New Jersey, Old Player?

I am thinking about purchasing a jersey for the first time in many years.  After making great decisions like an authentic Losman jersey, I am leaning toward a retired player, Kent Hull.  I can get a custom jersey with Hull's name, but it will not be the actual style that he wore.  What is the general consensus on putting a 90's player name on the current style of jersey?  I'm guessing only serious fans would even notice?  (I can find Hull jerseys online, but nobody seems to have anything other than a small now)

I have a current Kelly jersey that was a gift. I've always thought it was weird. But at least the current style of jersey is similar to what they wore. It was weird seeing names like Kelly, Thomas, etc on the back of those ugly dark blue jerseys we had in the 00s. That's not even close to what they wore.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

I was going to make a 33 Gash or a 54 Spielman, just cause I loved those dude.  I think it's fine to have an older school player on a modern jersey - to your point, only the die-hards will know :D

BTW, ended up getting a Kelly (not sure WHERE that one went, but now I have one again) and an Allen (felt a little funny getting the QB, but like the Bills, I'm all in on Josh too) :beer:

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, chknwing334 said:

I am thinking about purchasing a jersey for the first time in many years.  After making great decisions like an authentic Losman jersey, I am leaning toward a retired player, Kent Hull.  I can get a custom jersey with Hull's name, but it will not be the actual style that he wore.  What is the general consensus on putting a 90's player name on the current style of jersey?  I'm guessing only serious fans would even notice?  (I can find Hull jerseys online, but nobody seems to have anything other than a small now)

A rule of thumb I like for situations like this.  If their number is retired any jersey.  If not, has to be a time period appropriate one.  I don't know why, just makes sense to me that way.

Edited by Mark80

2 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Anyone wearing an OJ jersey these days, besides OJ?

Official NFL fan shop won't let you make a Simpson 32. But I've see ones that said "Juice" "OJ" "Da Juice" "Innocent" and my favorite "Allegedly." 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

My 11yr old son wears a new style Thurman Thomas. It looks cooler than my Mitchell & Ness throwback Thurman jersey. The new Nike style looks great & is much lighter material, makes it easier to wear.

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Anyone wearing an OJ jersey these days, besides OJ?

Was way out of place in a Detroit bar/restaurant a few years ago and half the jerseys were Juice

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Always thought a #75 Ballard jersey would be unique and awesome.  

2 game worn Ballard jerseys will be in the D&A Bills team 'garage sale'. Dude was A BEAST!!! Sadly, no Hulls. He supposedly kept the majority of his stuff. On occasion, they do pop up and are pricey. That said Champion must have let you custom replica jerseys bc i have seen a few period authentic vintage Hull retail jerseys out there over the years.

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Was way out of place in a Detroit bar/restaurant a few years ago and half the jerseys were Juice

Another interesting jersey. As part of the aforementioned sale, we have multiple champion game #32. The Bills would recieve the 'sets' at the beginning of the year and the 32s would never go into circulation - thus, a back stock mounted over the years and will also be for sale

41 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I have an old style Kelly jersey and it just feels right. I encourage fans to wear jerseys of retired players as long the style fits the era. 

If I were to get another one it might be Henry Jones. 

Well... i have good news;) lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Michael Strahan is old player who played in New Jersey.

Wasn’t much diff between Bills and Giants jerseys for awhile, I’m sure fans bought unnamed jerseys of the other team often

57 minutes ago, Irv said:

I had a #14 Fitzpatrick.  It is now a #14 Reich.  Old Fitzpatrick name panel now used for toliet accessory. 

Watch Allen flame out and we sign Fitz who leads us to the Superbowl in 2020.