good read on how the Yanks slowly turned things around by building a better culture in the early 90s - fits in to what McBeane is doing here

Reed83HOF

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Torre was phenomenal.

I really don't know that Joe was burned out.  Like I said, he got a very young team to within a game of the World Series in his last year.  For me, the jury is still out on Boone.  Perhaps my opinion of him is clouded with bias ... I don't know.  The Yankees have done will in an injury-riddled season; I just don't know how much Boone has to do with that.  I will admit, it's likely too early to judge him.

You can’t talk about two Joes in the same post without more specific ID..... :D

Edited by row_33

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Torre was phenomenal.

I really don't know that Joe was burned out.  Like I said, he got a very young team to within a game of the World Series in his last year.  For me, the jury is still out on Boone.  Perhaps my opinion of him is clouded with bias ... I don't know.  The Yankees have done will in an injury-riddled season; I just don't know how much Boone has to do with that.  I will admit, it's likely too early to judge him.

Boone really has grown on me, so I'd give him a chance. Re Joe G, the fact that he hasn't gotten back into managing speaks volumes. He's a flat-out better manager than many of the hirees over the past two seasons, and I think it's obvious to most teams seeking out new managers . There's a reason he hasn't gotten back into it, and I don't think it's lack of opportunity. I think burnout is the most likely candidate. He needed time away.

I do agree that the Yankees' starting pitching is likely to kill them in the postseason. But I wouldn't blame the manager for that. They're just not good enough to get through a 7-game series with a W unless the bats go wild. I will say that the one big difference this year as opposed to previous years is that the Yankees have fewer guys who strike out prolifically, which is going to help them in the postseason. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

This has already been stated to be stupid, a waste of time, and no impact in winning. Just ask Schopp and White on WGR55. The case is closed since you can't measure this with on-field/ice analytics, it's therefore not significant. Move along. Those two are trained quants with the education and experience to prove that without a doubt, the only thing that matters are the host of singular and disconnected, descriptive, non-inferential measures they read about somewhere. Qualitative data is inferior, so leadership, relationships, and respect do not have a quantity attached to them and therefore can't be measured nor possibly matter. 

• Haha (+1) 1