Author Visits Every Pro Sports Venue...loves Bills vibe

https://www.insidehook.com/article/sports/so-a-guy-visits-every-professional-sports-stadium-in-america

Best Tailgate Scene

“Tailgating, I think I would point to Buffalo. I really liked the way the whole town felt like a Bills parking lot. It felt like you were outside the stadium all over town on the morning of the game. You could see people in their gear getting ready to head out to the stadium. Then, when you get near the stadium, there’s a lot of homes that let you park on their lawn for five or 10 bucks and people set up chairs and set up barbecues. You feel like you’re walking through someone’s barbecue basically. It’s usually bitter cold up there and they’re all huddled together and they’ve all got their woolens on. It’s a pretty cool scene.”

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I ran into a bar friend last night; he's a professional camera operator for MLB and other major sporting events. He told me that he's been pegged to work the Bills-Broncos game in November and was told that he will "love" working in New Era field due to the sightlines and apparently the fact that it got re-wired with over-the-top technology for the media/camera people a couple of years ago. I didn't know this info.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Augie said:

Buffalo has more of a “college vibe” than probably any other NFL city on game days. 

Its awesome. It extends past the city limits too. In our neighborhood, Sunday morning our flag goes up and while I’m outside working or messing around, I’ll see people in jerseys, others shout “go bills” and then I have my 70+ year old neighbor who always stops by to see what we think. 

It really is a community of fans

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ive been to a lot of Bills tailgates both home and away...Bills always have a healthy contingency of fans everywhere they play but as my homegirl Dorothy used to say while clicking her ruby red heels "there's no place like home...there's no place like home.... haha if only it were that easy I'd be  Bills seasons ticket holder it is a LOCK

and great comment about the high tech nature of the stadium the Bills never EVER are called out for what is Good about new era field only all the perceived bad MUST have a new stadium yadda yadda yadda. That's a different thread.

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Oh yeah, we’re totally in our woolies all september and october.

oh my goodness if you were at last years season opener you'd KNOW about a wny Hot day lol again NOT what they are known for but it was Brutal hot humid that day..Id MUCH rather have cold than brutal heat that's just me though...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

oh my goodness if you were at last years season opener you'd KNOW about a wny Hot day lol again NOT what they are known for but it was Brutal hot humid that day..Id MUCH rather have cold than brutal heat that's just me though...

I was there and it was absolutely awful. Agree 100%, I deal with the cold far easier.

I was juts mocking yet another spicy “BuFfAlO iS FrEeZiNg cOLd All TeH TiMe” take.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

The shame of all of this is that the NFL could care less about “vibe.”  The push for the almighty dollar will drive fans away from stadiums if the NFL is not careful.

Yep.. why they cant leave well enough alone is beyond me.. does everything in the NFL have to be antiseptic..its bad enough with the domes etc.. i am an old fk .. remember going to games and watching games on TV  played in the elements.. Nothing beat watching Detroit on thanksgiving when they played at tiger stadium and it started snowing a bit.. now its just the game .. which of course is why we watch.. but thank god forNew Era field and the Bills traditiions 

There is no better vibe than what you experience going to a Bills game imo.  You drive thru the neighborhood seeing all the fans walking to the game in their gear and then suddenly you see the stadium and the mass of fans increase.  It is exactly like going to a college game!  Such a great experience compared to other stadiums

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Its awesome. It extends past the city limits too. In our neighborhood, Sunday morning our flag goes up and while I’m outside working or messing around, I’ll see people in jerseys, others shout “go bills” and then I have my 70+ year old neighbor who always stops by to see what we think. 

It really is a community of fans

True. I never appreciated this until I moved to Houston. In Buffalo, once Bills kickoff starts, the streets are virtually empty until the game is over. Houston just isn't that way. Half the town are fans of the Cowboys and Saints. Most people who do care, only watch casually. 

Since moving here, I've adopted the Astros as my team (sounds easy, but they were losing 100+ games when I started going), and University of Houston as my college team. When I first moved here, the Astros sucked. I'm a huge baseball fan so I loved it. I could buy a $5 ticket and sit virtually anywhere. Now you can't get a nosebleed ticket for less than $30. Cougars the same way. I came here the year before Case Keenum's senior year, and had season tickets in the bleachers in the end zone. Case was hurt, so the team didn't do that great. My cousin, my friend, and I usually had enough room to spread our legs across the bleachers.

The next season, when Case was back, and breaking all sorts of records, we were shoulder to shoulder. I thought it was great. But the next year, when he left, so did the fan support. Back half empty stadiums again. I'm sure if the Astros start sliding back (hopefully not any time soon), it will be the same way. It's just not like that in Buffalo. Win or lose, the whole town is all about the Bills and Sabres. I'm sure we're not the only city like this, but I think being in a smaller market has something to do with it.

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Buffalo has more of a “college vibe” than probably any other NFL city on game days. 

Agreed.

When you and I were in GB last season I was expecting more from the locals. They can’t touch the atmosphere  in Orchard Park.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Agreed.

When you and I were in GB last season I was expecting more from the locals. They can’t touch the atmosphere  in Orchard Park.

Yep, and the GB setup was better than most from my experience. The way the stadium is set in the a residential area and everybody stopping at houses with signs that say “Park & Pee $30” and the front yard tailgating was pretty cool, but nothing like OP.  Most cities are light years from our tailgate and game environment! Some will argue whether that’s a good thing or not, but I love it! ? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yep, and the GB setup was better than most from my experience. The way the stadium is set in the a residential area and everybody stopping at houses with signs that say “Park & Pee $30” and the front yard tailgating was pretty cool, but nothing like OP.  Most cities are light years from our tailgate and game environment! Some will argue whether that’s a good thing or not, but I love it! ? 

My brother and I parked on the street for free about a half mile from the stadium. Easy in, easy out. Got back to Appleton quick and had dinner and many more cocktails.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Blue on Blue said:

https://www.insidehook.com/article/sports/so-a-guy-visits-every-professional-sports-stadium-in-america

Best Tailgate Scene

“Tailgating, I think I would point to Buffalo. I really liked the way the whole town felt like a Bills parking lot. It felt like you were outside the stadium all over town on the morning of the game. You could see people in their gear getting ready to head out to the stadium. Then, when you get near the stadium, there’s a lot of homes that let you park on their lawn for five or 10 bucks and people set up chairs and set up barbecues. You feel like you’re walking through someone’s barbecue basically. It’s usually bitter cold up there and they’re all huddled together and they’ve all got their woolens on. It’s a pretty cool scene.”

Now this is the Buffalo I know. 

11 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

My brother and I parked on the street for free about a half mile from the stadium. Easy in, easy out. Got back to Appleton quick and had dinner and many more cocktails.

I was also staying in Appleton, and it was a piece of cake getting back there post-game.