Bills release 2nd unofficial depth chart

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I disagree with the notion that anyone can be “pretty done” with Zay Jones.  He’s had his hands issues, but the kid is entering his 3rd season and had a pretty darn good season last year (all things considered...the abortion that was our offense).  By all accounts, he has had a tremendous camp and busted his ass in the offseason.

I guess I’m thinking that Zay deserves at least this season to piss or get off the pot.  If he can’t perform with, you know, a good offensive line, decent WR’s and TE’s around him, a respectable running game??  Then let’s start talking about whether or not we’re “done” with him.

JMHO

Agreed.

In 2018, Zay Jones had more touchdown catches (7) than the following players:

Robert Woods, Odell Beckham Jr, TY Hilton, Larry Fitzgerald, Julian Edelman, George Kittle, Alshon Jeffrey, Brandon Cooks, etc, etc.

Considering the absolute abomination that was our 2018 passing game, that's pretty damned impressive.

While I agree that Zay Jones needs to step up and be a big time playmaker THIS YEAR without fail, it is silly to write him off completely at this point. Absolutely silly.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are just the ones who release the depth chart. The info is from the team. Every team is required to release one prior to every preseason game 

so its actually the coaches whom make the depth chart then not the staff I posted above..So the communications staff just posted the info given to them. Okay that makes sense thanks

so in regarding the special teams....................noone is really talking much about our kickers but it appears that both those positions are up for grabs..is Hauschka really healthy or still hampered and punter may be a toss up....thoughts anybody?

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Depth lacking at LB??  Care to expound?  I see tons of depth.  

Though my expounding doesn’t mean much - I don’t see an acceptable backup in any of the LB positions.  

None of those players strike me as ‘good enough’. 

Please correct me. 

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

source.gif

You mean like signing Panthers guys McDermott loves that  Mike Tolbert, Star Lotulelei, Dean Marlowe, Kurt Coleman, Captain Munnerlyn, Derek Anderson,.... I mean do I really need to keep going?

You said that Beane/McDermott have a history of showing favoritism to "their" guys...  and that is one reason Zay Jones may have a better chance of sticking to the roster.

What you gave are examples of them signing former Carolina Panthers in free agency.  I'm just not seeing the connection.  Not to mention, none of the ex-Panthers we've signed have been given preference for starting positions or roster spots. 

Most GMs and coaches go after veterans from their former teams.  It's really not that strange.  I recall Bill Parcells had the same 5-10 guys follow him from the Giants to the Jets to the Patriots to the Cowboys.

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

In 2018, Zay Jones had more touchdown catches (7) than the following players:

Robert Woods, Odell Beckham Jr, TY Hilton, Larry Fitzgerald, Julian Edelman, George Kittle, Alshon Jeffrey, Brandon Cooks, etc, etc.

Considering the absolute abomination that was our 2018 passing game, that's pretty damned impressive.

While I agree that Zay Jones needs to step up and be a big time playmaker THIS YEAR without fail, it is silly to write him off completely at this point. Absolutely silly.

Its a narrative bias thing. He had a bunch of drops his rookie year, and so a narrative developed.  He had a perfectly average season from a drops perspective his second year, but the narrative survives. So every time he drops a single ball, it becomes "he had multiple drops" last game. Like, this last game. He definitely dropped that TD pass; however, afterwards, I saw multiple posters describing Say as having multiple drops.  It was crazy.  Sports fans are so ripe for psychological analysis, and I don't know why there isn't more of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I don't think I'm worried about what the communications team thinks.

The coaching staff puts this together. It's just labeled as the communications team so the staff has a way to avoid questions about it at this point.

People talking about Zay being in trouble is hilarious. It never ends. It's not gonna happen, folks.

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

Though my expounding doesn’t mean much - I don’t see an acceptable backup in any of the LB positions.  

None of those players strike me as ‘good enough’. 

Please correct me. 

I think Stanford and Thompson are both very capable back ups.  Love the promise of VoJo, and I think he will be more than a special teams player this season.  Mo Alexander can be a good fill in at WLB.  I think we have quality depth behind 3 very good starters.  Depth at LB for once in a long time, IMO.

Edit:  I wanted to add #53 Tyrel Dodson as a player I really like.  Watched him closely at TC and in the game.  53 is always around the ball when he is in there.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I always thought Milano was the Will linebacker.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Me too ?. But I recall reading that the LBs in this defense move around and the strong side/weak side aren’t really defined 

Realistically the only time a strong side or weak side LBr is on the field is when the Bills go base 43. In that situation there are clear defined roles between the SS and WS

Milano played the Strong side at BC and excelled playing over TEs

ZO has maybe lost a step and he is better suited for pursuing from the back side now instead of man up

The Bills go nickel 60%+ of the time anyways so their will only be 2 LBrs out mostly anyways

5 hours ago, MR8 said:

I'm pretty done with Zay.  He had a disaster of a rookie season, and while he bounced back pretty well least year, he was still unremarkable and never made a statement that he was "sure handed". 

I don't want to make an entire case about why he should be cut based on 1 preseason game, so I am not going to make that the only evidence that he hasn't progressed, but the drop at the goal line was just another example of what we've consistently seen from him for 2 seasons.

On top of that there have been murmurs that in TC he has been unremarkable and hasn't separated himself there either.  

The feather he has in his cap is that McDermott and Beane have shown they tend to favor "their guys" and Zay is one of "their guys", and on top of that Josh targeted Zay 5 times in the first game... there is A LOT of comfort he has with Zay, and I don't think they'll move on from a guy that Josh trusts.  Whether or not we agree with that trust, if Josh likes him, he'll get every opportunity to prove he can be better than what we're seeing.

I would be perfectly fine with a Zay Jones cut, and move Foster into that #3 spot to grow into the role.  He too has been a bit of a disappointment thus far in camp and preseason, but his ceiling is light-years beyond Zay, and when forced into a starting role he took the bull by the horns.  I think hes a guy who needs to be pushed to rise to the occasion... so DO IT. 

Is it safe to zay you're not a big Jones fan?

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Is it safe to zay you're not a big Jones fan?

As I've said in my other replies to people who've asked me this, yes that is correct... I have gone into more detail in those but I'm not retyping the same thing over and over. 

4 hours ago, MR8 said:

As I've said in my other replies to people who've asked me this, yes that is correct... I have gone into more detail in those but I'm not retyping the same thing over and over. 

Put it in a WordPad doc and cut and paste.  ?

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m fairly certain we can all guess 50 of the 53. Many probably could immediately following the Draft.

12 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I wouldn't be so pretentious and or confident in the many posters here.

I could "guess" maybe 30 of the 53 with certainty. 

:)

I just picked 40 pretty certain ones.  Beyond that gets tougher like who's the 6th WR or 6th LB. Can see a choice between a couple .  Who's the punter,, I can easily pick 7 in the secondary, after that, not so sure, does Croom or Sweeney make the team, or both, Teller or Wesley on the O-line?  Is Harrison Phillips a lock?

11 hours ago, MR8 said:

On a side note, Does anyone know how many snaps Patrick Dimarco took in week 1 of preseason. That's a spot I have been curious about but really forgot to watch.

I don't remember how many snaps he got, but he was in the game a few times.

I am a bit puzzled as to why Dimarco is still with the team. Do we really need a fullback? I think that Lee Smith could take Dimarco's place on the team and put him in certain packages they use.

Does anyone else think that we really need Dimarco?

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I wouldn't be so pretentious and or confident in the many posters here.

I could "guess" maybe 30 of the 53 with certainty. 

:)

You’re right...remember last year when everyone penciled in Jeremy Kerley, Corey Coleman, Nick O’Leary, and AJ as “locks.”  There are always surprises.

RB, WR, TE, LB and S are all going to be positions to watch 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I am a bit puzzled as to why Dimarco is still with the team. Do we really need a fullback? I think that Lee Smith could take Dimarco's place on the team and put him in certain packages they use.

I don’t think they need him but I can see them keeping him because:

1 - He’s a respected, locker room leader everyone seems to love.

2 - He’s a good Special Teamer

3 - Daboll loves to run the ball and DiMarco can not only play FB but also H-back/TE.   I can see him getting reps in certain run packages. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ColeB said:

Put it in a WordPad doc and cut and paste.  ?

or you can scroll up and save me the time ?

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I agree, however I could see them keeping him to help block in the run game 100% due to the injuries we currently have at TE. 

I figured 4 TEs and 4 RBs no FB...

But with the TE issues, I could see Kroft being moved to the PUP or IR designated to return after preseason. If you lose Kroft and you have Knox banged up that puts you in a tough spot at TE, so maybe you keep a FB JUST IN CASE as an extra blocker if they struggle running the ball.

I may be over thinking it though.

Also DiMarco is big on special teams and you know how much McDermott loves his special teamers haha

• Like (+1) 1