Bills release 2nd unofficial depth chart

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

The idea that this chart has any real reflection on the battles at OL, TE, RB, and WR is just not realistic.

I expect the Bills are spending roughly 30-60 seconds updating this each week.

I tend to agree.  I believe the Bills are trying a bunch of guys at various positions on the OL to see what they have in case of injury not to mention the current injuries.  Nothing like game action to evaluate players,  I thought the starting OL against the Colts was pretty stout.

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Did you not read the post you were quoting?  Foster is a McDermott guy.  So is Cam Phillips and Ray Ray McCloud.  Every player that’s has only been on the Bills, is a McBeane player.  

So, you’re saying that Zay is MORE of a McBeane guy that Robert Foster?  I don’t understand 

Zay getting extra chances when showing just as little in preseason and TC as foster, yet being #2 with Foster not even getting rotations in the spot is proof that McDermott values him more.   For quick Clarity I'm saying #2 WR but by that I mean the outside WR opposite Brown... Who is #1, #2, #3 based on targets etc is academic until the season starts.

I've seen nothing, read nothing, and heard nothing to say Zay has earned the #2 spot over anyone.  Outside of Brown and Beasley, I've read and seen nothing but inconsistency from the other WRs... Honestly I've been more impressed with Ray Ray and McKenzie than Zay or Foster to this point.

However both Zay and Foster have those higher ceilings than Ray Ray or McKenzie, and neither Ray Ray or McKenzie have the size or skill set necessary to play the outside like a #2 WR needs to do.  So you settle back to "who will be the #2 WR" Zay gets every look despite lackluster performance in TC and now his first outing in preseason.  Foster has been about the same up and down and doesn't get rotated in with the 1s...

To me that says Zay is a favorite.  If you don't agree, that's your call.

1 minute ago, MR8 said:

Zay getting extra chances when showing just as little in preseason and TC as foster, yet being #2 with Foster not even getting rotations in the spot is proof that McDermott values him more.   For quick Clarity I'm saying #2 WR but by that I mean the outside WR opposite Brown... Who is #1, #2, #3 based on targets etc is academic until the season starts.

I've seen nothing, read nothing, and heard nothing to say Zay has earned the #2 spot over anyone.  Outside of Brown and Beasley, I've read and seen nothing but inconsistency from the other WRs... Honestly I've been more impressed with Ray Ray and McKenzie than Zay or Foster to this point.

However both Zay and Foster have those higher ceilings than Ray Ray or McKenzie, and neither Ray Ray or McKenzie have the size or skill set necessary to play the outside like a #2 WR needs to do.  So you settle back to "who will be the #2 WR" Zay gets every look despite lackluster performance in TC and now his first outing in preseason.  Foster has been about the same up and down and doesn't get rotated in with the 1s...

You won’t read or hear anything like that for anyone because it has not been established. I have seen and read a lot about Zay having a strong camp  though.

45 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Depth lacking at LB??  Care to expound?  I see tons of depth.  

I’m in the middle here. We have three solid starters. Stanford filled in well at times last year. Thompson has shown growth and could be Lorax replacement. VoJo/Lacey duking it out for the 6th LB.

i don’t think we have tons of depth. We’ve got a good group though, albeit unproven behind our starters 

1 minute ago, loyal2dagame said:

Nobody has brought up Robert Foster? He's not even listed.  What gives. 

Listed right behind John Brown 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I wouldn't be so pretentious and or confident in the many posters here.

I could "guess" maybe 30 of the 53 with certainty. 

:)

30?! That’s super weak. There are 26 starters listed. You couldn’t get more than 4 more correct? 

Billz n00b

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

You aren't wrong but what out of this analysis did you disagree with? To be a WR you have to catch the ball and Zay just has real issues. Maybe it is mental and he needs to get over it but he hasn't shown that he is over it yet. Guy is 50/50 to catch the ball when it matters. Like 3rd down or in the redzone/endzone.

I disagree with the notion that anyone can be “pretty done” with Zay Jones.  He’s had his hands issues, but the kid is entering his 3rd season and had a pretty darn good season last year (all things considered...the abortion that was our offense).  By all accounts, he has had a tremendous camp and busted his ass in the offseason.

I guess I’m thinking that Zay deserves at least this season to piss or get off the pot.  If he can’t perform with, you know, a good offensive line, decent WR’s and TE’s around him, a respectable running game??  Then let’s start talking about whether or not we’re “done” with him.

JMHO

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You know he’s going to be one of our top 3 WR’s all season unless he gets injured, right? I’m just saying...well, hate is a powerful and exhausting emotion and it’s a long season.  Might want to try some transindental meditation?  Just lookin out for ya...?

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 5

54 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Oh man. 

You said it yourself.  No one has stepped up to take the spot away from him. Not even Foster.  Ray Ray and McKenzie are little guys and don’t fit the #2 wr role.  Based on this training camp, that leaves Foster and Cam

Phillips battling Zay.  There has been 1 preseason game and Zay got the nod filling the outside opposite Brown.  There’s 3 more games and almost month before the season start.  Zay won the best offseason workout award (or whatever it’s called).  He put in the work this offseason and was rewarded through one preseason game.  

He started last season because our wR unit sucked.  Of course he was going to start.  There clearly weren’t any better options.  If he continues to drop balls or if someone steps up and challenges him in the upcoming weeks and Zay gets the nod at that point, I’ll agree with you.  We’ve played 1 of 4 preseason games.  It’s still too early to confirm your alleged bias imo.  

42 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I disagree with the notion that anyone can be “pretty done” with Zay Jones.  He’s had his hands issues, but the kid is entering his 3rd season and had a pretty darn good season last year (all things considered...the abortion that was our offense).  By all accounts, he has had a tremendous camp and busted his ass in the offseason.

I guess I’m thinking that Zay deserves at least this season to piss or get off the pot.  If he can’t perform with, you know, a good offensive line, decent WR’s and TE’s around him, a respectable running game??  Then let’s start talking about whether or not we’re “done” with him.

JMHO

I agree 100%. 

Sometimes you just have to wonder how much people are trolling on Zay.   

to counter the trolling honesty ...

Zay was 2 of 5.   The only one we should be able to complain about was the drop on the play when he got hurt after he went to the ground.    ]

IIRC the announcer mentioned the sun was in his eyes and he looked away from the ball to the defender too soon.  We see that often in the NFL.   

The other 2 "drops" were poorly placed passes. 

23 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Like the Bills in general,  Zay needs to prove himself on the field. 

5 TDs in his last 5 games. For a young WR the most important variance is the QB. He played with 5 starting QBs in his two seasons. All were backup level or worse except one, who was a raw rookie. And they both started developing together down the stretch. No way they pull the plug now. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I agree 100%. 

Sometimes you just have to wonder how much people are trolling on Zay.   

to counter the trolling honesty ...

Zay was 2 of 5.   The only one we should be able to complain about was the drop on the play when he got hurt after he went to the ground.    ]

IIRC the announcer mentioned the sun was in his eyes and he looked away from the ball to the defender too soon.  We see that often in the NFL.   

The other 2 "drops" were poorly placed passes. 

As someone who is critical of Zay, I have to say that the actual tape of the Colts game is promising.   The drops need to stop with such regularity, but on all 5 targets, he got open.  He looks to be bigger, stronger, faster and made a couple nice catches on 2 of the 3 catchable balls he was thrown. 

One, he was immediately hit - Catch

Two, he got both feet down on the sideline - Catch

Three, he dropped as he turned into the sun and heard footsteps - Drop

Edited by SCBills

Im curious as to whom the "bills communications" staff is..... Chris Brown. Murph and Tasker? Other Bills employees? Are they including media that exclusively cover the Bills? 

EDIT: I googled Bills "staff" and found they have a "communications staff" as well as "media & content". So its really anyones guess who the "communications staff" is whom makes these depth charts. posted FYI

Communications
Kevin Kearns Director of Communications

Chris Fanelli Manager of Communications

• Nicole Hendricks Coordinator of Communications
  • Qadeer Morgan Communications Coordinator

Media & Content
Mike Adamek Sr. Director of Media and Content

• Chris Jenkins Sr. Director of Content
  • James Acton Associate Producer
  • Chris Brown !@#$
  • Corrina Dolan Associate Producer
  • Jonathan Harkey Associate Producer
  • John Murphy Co-host of One Bills Live & Radio Voice of the Bills
  • Steve Tasker Co-host of One Bills Live
  • Simon Tuckey Associate Producer

................noone is really talking much about our kickers but it appears that both those positions are up for grabs..is Haushka really healthy or still hampered and punter may be a toss up. whadayathink?

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, muppy said:

Im curious as to whom the "bills communications" staff is..... Chris Brown. Murph and Tasker? Other Bills employees? Are they including media that exclusively cover the Bills? 

EDIT: I googled Bills "staff" and found they have a "communications staff" as well as "media & content". So its really anyones guess who the "communications staff" is whom makes these depth charts. posted FYI

Communications
Kevin Kearns Director of Communications

Chris Fanelli Manager of Communications

• Nicole Hendricks Coordinator of Communications
  • Qadeer Morgan Communications Coordinator

Media & Content
Mike Adamek Sr. Director of Media and Content

• Chris Jenkins Sr. Director of Content
  • James Acton Associate Producer
  • Chris Brown !@#$
  • Corrina Dolan Associate Producer
  • Jonathan Harkey Associate Producer
  • John Murphy Co-host of One Bills Live & Radio Voice of the Bills
  • Steve Tasker Co-host of One Bills Live
  • Simon Tuckey Associate Producer

They are just the ones who release the depth chart. The info is from the team. Every team is required to release one prior to every preseason game 

• Thank you (+1) 1