What would you rather do if forced?

Beast

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Don't really know.  You sound like an idiot.  It's gravity controlled you moron. No pumps are needed.

And here you have it folks... The smartest man in the world is a total idiot. 

Time to go back to when bumpers were on the outside of the car, not under plastic.  Remember when you could actually touch another vehicle and push them without a scratch?

Now it’s about replacing entire panels for a small crack. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Dream perfection.  Dream grace.

Hate to say... You're kinda too far to be commuting that distance.  I find that to be absolute idiocy.

A 60 mile commute and expecting to be door to door every time, in a State with a maximum speed of 65 mpg, is unreasonable.  Even if you live/work in a straight line right off the exits. It's unreasonable to expect it every time you go to work. 

Really... That's the definition of idiocy.  Being unreasonable.

2-1 the other way.  @LeviF91 and @Sig1Hunter disagree.

The guy at .13 is ready to fall asleep!  Alcohol is a depressant.

I'm making double what I'd make anywhere closer to home.  That's not idiocy.  It's smart and it's necessity.

I'm not complaining about the times I get to work and home.  I'm complaining about the cause of the delays .... crappy drivers who are texting.

Lastly, I don't give a flying ***** who disagrees with me.  Let them pay my mortgage and raise my son by themselves.  Or let them ***** off. 

21 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I dont even know how someone can drink 8 beers in an hour unless they are funneling them. 

Used to know several who could do this 

a high school exchange with Welsh rugby players coming over was interesting, they easily drank 36 beers in an evening 

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Used to know several who could do this 

a high school exchange with Welsh rugby players coming over was interesting, they easily drank 36 beers in an evening 

That's crazy. And this is coming from someone who drinks a decent amount of beer. 

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm making double what I'd make anywhere closer to home.  That's not idiocy.  It's smart and it's necessity.

I'm not complaining about the times I get to work and home.  I'm complaining about the cause of the delays .... crappy drivers who are texting.

Lastly, I don't give a flying ***** who disagrees with me.  Let them pay my mortgage and raise my son by themselves.  Or let them ***** off. 

Fair enough.

I am pushing the limits 18 miles away.  Safety is #1. We live in an individualistic society.  Impossible to stop the idiots from doing idiotic things.

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

That's crazy. And this is coming from someone who drinks a decent amount of beer. 

A pair would bring in 3 two-fours of Canadian beer, and split it

Shouldn’t be a surprise, look at what the very tiny Brit rock stars were able to pack away in booze and drugs......

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fair enough.

I am pushing the limits 18 miles away.  Safety is #1. We live in an individualistic society.  Impossible to stop the idiots from doing idiotic things.

Impossible to stop them, yes.  But I can still B word about them.

I spent 18 years with the same company where my job was less than 10 miles a day.  All good things must come to an end.

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

@Sig1Hunter

with link: 

https://www.intox.com/drink-wheel/

@ 9 US beers evenly over 1 hour takes me (210 male) to: 0.145!!!

9 beers!!!

I would be asleep!

You didn’t fill it out right.  9 beers in an hours would be more like a .20, which is blotto.

I got 5 beers in 3 hours to reach .13.....that’s impaired but not fall down drunk;  pretty much right on the +/- line for driving impaired vs texting.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2019 at 7:37 PM, Sig1Hunter said:

2. The drunk is always impaired. The texter is only impaired during the moments that they are looking at their phone.

Therein lies the problem. Only takes a moment to get in an accident. Don't think I've ever driven at .13, but I have on occasion driven when perhaps I shouldn't have been. Not saying I'm a better driver when impaired, just saying I do pay closer attention to the rules of the road. No roles through stop signs, slow down for the yellow instead of trying to beat it.  Hands at 10 and 2, cruise set at 2 miles an hour over the speed limit, eyes focused on my surroundings, not on my phone. Most of the alcohol related accidents I know about are "drunk and stupid" accidents...running stop signs, going 60 in a 30, wrong way down a one way. Over the last several years I've heard way more about texting related accidents than alcohol.

49 minutes ago, The Plastic Cup said:

You didn’t fill it out right.  9 beers in an hours would be more like a .20, which is blotto.

I got 5 beers in 3 hours to reach .13.....that’s impaired but not fall down drunk;  pretty much right on the +/- line for driving impaired vs texting.

I must have filled it out wrong too.

18 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

We used to drink one shot-glass full of beer every minute for 60 mins in college, called it 'power hour'. These were in my heavy drinking days so my tolerance was much higher than it is now. 60 one-oz. shots of beer in 60 mins is only FIVE BEERS/HOUR and still gets you ***** up. 8 beers in one hour...I wouldn't let that person operate a scissors, much less a vehicle.

Good old days.

a neighbour in residence had a heart disorder and other complications leaving him with a few years at most.

he was a top chem-eng student and drank very very  heavily and smoked up every day, even during exam week

That one person you meet in life...

33 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Therein lies the problem. Only takes a moment to get in an accident. Don't think I've ever driven at .13, but I have on occasion driven when perhaps I shouldn't have been. Not saying I'm a better driver when impaired, just saying I do pay closer attention to the rules of the road. No roles through stop signs, slow down for the yellow instead of trying to beat it.  Hands at 10 and 2, cruise set at 2 miles an hour over the speed limit, eyes focused on my surroundings, not on my phone. Most of the alcohol related accidents I know about are "drunk and stupid" accidents...running stop signs, going 60 in a 30, wrong way down a one way. Over the last several years I've heard way more about texting related accidents than alcohol.

Countless times in my younger years I'm sad to say (I'm usually filled with beer).  The key was always driving cautiously and with hyper focus (plus windows down no matter the weather). 

38 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Texting fatalities? Or texting fender benders? Cuz my impression of the question had to do with which one risks my life more, not which is more likely to delay me on my way to work. Again, they both risk my life unnecessarily. My opinion is that a drunk driver risks it more...and, I believe the statistics bear that out - notwithstanding the anecdotal evidence that many in this thread are relying upon. 

1 hour ago, The Plastic Cup said:

That’s weird. I put in 5 beers over 3 hours for a 125lb female and peak BAC is .074.

3 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Texting fatalities? Or texting fender benders? Cuz my impression of the question had to do with which one risks my life more, not which is more likely to delay me on my way to work. Again, they both risk my life unnecessarily. My opinion is that a drunk driver risks it more...and, I believe the statistics bear that out - notwithstanding the anecdotal evidence that many in this thread are relying upon. 

That’s weird. I put in 5 beers over 3 hours for a 125lb female and peak BAC is .074.

Well, this is the one that immediately came to mind when reading the OP. One of my friend's kids was a victim:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19764563/ns/us_news-life/t/texting-blame-crash-killed-teens/#.XVMMguhKjIU

Three items caught my eye on the link below:

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html

"21 percent of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones."

"Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk."

"1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving."

So, to answer to your highlighted questions, yes.

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steve O said:

Well, this is the one that immediately came to mind when reading the OP. One of my friend's kids was a victim:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19764563/ns/us_news-life/t/texting-blame-crash-killed-teens/#.XVMMguhKjIU

Three items caught my eye on the link below:

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html

"21 percent of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones."

"Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk."

"1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving."

So, to answer to your highlighted questions, yes.

I don’t disagree that it happens. If your point is that texting and driving can cause fatal crashes, I agree 100%. I also know that those crashes garner a whole bunch more attention than the typical drunk / impaired driving fatals that happen dozens upon dozens of time each and every day in this country. The video linked here is interesting to me:

This gentleman struggled with substance abuse, and came clean with his struggles in a brutally honest video. I was involved in the crash investigation where he was killed near Orlando, Florida early one morning in 2012. While driving at speeds well in excess of 100mph, he rear ended a box truck. It was gruesome. I’ve been involved in hundreds of these investigations over my career. I can count the number of times I’ve been involved in fatals involving texting or other distracted driving on one hand..or maybe two.

This happens way, way, way too often. On average, 29 people per day are killed by impaired drivers, according the to the CDC. Much of the time, innocent people get caught in the crossfire. Texting while driving is the “crime du jour” of the media today. Let’s not forget that impaired driving is a massive killer of people in this country every year. Both crimes are completely preventable. 

• Like (+1) 1

"Bottle to Throttle" up to 12 hours for United Pilots:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/amp/United-tells-pilots-no-alcohol-for-12-hours-14301437.php

"... An extra four hours will help social drinkers sober up, although it might not be long enough for a heavily drunken person. Some researchers calculate that once someone puts down the bottle, their blood-alcohol level drops 0.015% each hour. At that rate, a drinker could go from 0.12% to zero in eight hours, or from 0.18% to zero in 12 hours. ..."

On 8/11/2019 at 7:34 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

1- Get into the passenger seat with a driver who has a BAC of .13%

2- Be a passenger in a car that the driver is sending and reading text messages.

Driving with a drink or 2 in your is not a big deal; driving while you are staring at your cell phone is an accident waiting to happen.