Bills Training Camp Day 13 (8/11)

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

McKenzie is a more polished receiver right now than Ray Ray.  Ray Ray basically threw away his learning year.  Now that Ray Ray's work ethic is right, he could use a year on the PS, but I am afraid someone will ***** him.

Zay fits the culture.  That is really important to this staff. He dropped what was essentially a perfect ball on Thursday night, but he also got open a lot -- he had good separation on 4 of his 5 targets...Caught two, was overthrown on one, dropped one and the last was incomplete.  Josh targeted him on 5 of his 11 throws.  I think he's an important piece.

Maybe Zay was being featured for a reason against the Colts -- in the way that Sammy Watkins was featured in an exhibition game just before he was traded.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Alfredo said:

Maybe Zay was being featured for a reason against the Colts -- in the way that Sammy Watkins was featured in an exhibition game just before he was traded.

Could be...Good observation.

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Liking ford at guard and ty on the right now. 

This has been the smart move all along IMHO - glad they are getting there.  Ty is definitely one of the best 5, and he's a OT, not an OG.  Add that so many scouts thinking Ford could be an elite OG but only a good OT.  Before Waddle went out this was a no-brainer.

1 minute ago, Alfredo said:

Possibly.  On the other hand, Zay has been the team's leading receiver both of his two seasons, no?

40 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yep. I know people hate preseason but it's essential for us to get some other guys reps at C because you have to think Morse won't make it through 16 games (and the playoffs!!!) unscathed

At this point I'm going to be pleasantly relieved if Morse plays ANY games in a Bills uniform.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

That went out the window when Ford moved to G.

Perhaps it was because he was going against 2nd string players, but when Ford moved to RT he actually looked more at ease IMO. 

There were a few points in the game where a speed rush attacking the interior of the O-line seemed to overwhelm Ford while at RG; I thought NFL speed rushers could give him problems at RT and that he was probably better suited at RG, but he looked more vulnerable as an interior blocker. Not horrible, just more vulnerable than I expected.

Highlights:

Josh Allen was sharp in the Bills’ final practice before heading to deal with the suffocating South Carolina heat for joint practices. The Bills’ first-team offense spent a lot of time drilling the short passing game, and Allen looked comfortable. He threw an interception into triple coverage early in practice but rebounded by completing 14 of his 16 total passes during the morning session. Most notable was the fact that Cole Beasley caught seven of those passes. Allen was a perfect 7-for-7 when throwing Beasley’s way.

After leading the team in receiving during the first preseason game, Isaiah McKenzie earned a sizable number of first-team reps during practice Sunday. McKenzie caught three passes and would have had a fourth if Allen hadn’t been touched down for a sack in red-zone work.

Hyde made a full return to practice after Thursday night’s game, shedding the red non-contact jersey he wore for three days leading up to the contest. With the full go-ahead from the team’s athletic trainers Sunday, Hyde made his presence felt by tricking Allen into a throw he shouldn’t have made.

Cam Lewis continues to impress

The addition of Munnerlyn likely doesn’t bode well for Cam Lewis’ chances to make the 53-man roster outright. However, the steady climber is not making it easy on the Bills.

The University at Buffalo product put together the defensive play of the day working as the third-team nickel in coverage of wide receiver McCloud. The wideout was running a crossing route over the middle of the field and had half a step on Lewis, prompting the quarterback to send the ball McCloud’s way. Lewis closed down on the space, got his hand in on the play and picked off the pass with only his right hand. He somersaulted to the ground to secure the turnover, then immediately popped up to run the ball back.

Lewis began camp as an afterthought on the roster, only to impress the coaching staff daily. The cornerback has done so well that the coaching staff has given him more responsibility as the summer has continued. The team has used him both on the outside and inside at nickel, versatility that bodes well for his future with the franchise.

There isn’t a spot for him on the 53-man roster right now, but he’s working himself into consideration. Lewis is one of the players the Bills will likely consider bringing to the practice squad for further development. And perhaps, with inevitable injuries, Lewis could find his way to the active roster by the end of the season. Regardless, it’s been an impressive summer by the cornerback.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Playing speed between the two is distinctly different.   McKenzie is a 4.4 speed guy and ray ray a 4.5 ish in their straight line times, but McKenzie makes that difference seem huge when you compare how quick they are carrying the ball in a game.

Given that McKenzie has proven himself more in actual NFL games I see him as the 6th man and Cam Phillips 7th (practice squad)

There are some players that just don't practice well, but show up big when it counts. McKenzie seems to be one of those guys.

I'm hoping Foster turns out to be that way, too, because he sure doesn't seem to be impressing on the practice field this offseason.

5 hours ago, Brian3488 said:

This maybe why McKenzie with the ones

Quick burst and acceleration for these plays, he killed it last year with the  jet sweeps

It's the perfect pairing with our running backs. If you force the defense to defend laterally, the run game becomes way more dangerous at the second level. One crease and we're singing the shout song.

I don't see them giving up on Zay yet. I think it's Brown, Beasley, Foster, Zay, McKenzie, Roberts and a coin flip between Williams and Phillips. IMO, Ray Ray doesn't make it.

Edited: Forgot Bananas Foster

Edited by billsbackto81