Sam Acho, DE signed.

MAJBobby

Image result for sam acho nfl

Roundup: Bears cut LB Sam Acho after four seasons

Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: March 5, 2019 at 08:41 a.m.
  • Updated: March 5, 2019 at 10:02 p.m.

NFL teams continue to shed veteran contracts ahead of the new league year opening next week.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday morning that the Chicago Bears are releasing linebacker Sam Acho, per a source informed of the decision. The team later announced that it was official.

The 30-year-old linebacker and special teamer spent the past four years in Chicago after playing his first four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals.

A locker-room leader well-liked by teammates and coaches in Chicago, Acho played just four games in 2018 before landing on injured reserve with a torn pectoral muscle. He played just 25 defensive snaps and 36 special teams snaps last year, per Next Gen Stats. In 2017, Acho started 12 games and compiled 45 tackles and three sacks.

Cutting Acho saves the cap-strapped Bears $2.125 million on the salary cap.

Acho isn't the first veteran to see his tenure cut short as a cap-saving maneuver. He won't be the last this week either.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021122/article/roundup-bears-cut-lb-sam-acho-after-four-seasons

Edited by HOUSE

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

None of them should be expected to make the final roster. Just camp bodies for now.

I can see Acho making final roster. With Harold gone that 4th DE spot could go to anyone on roster. After his play against Colts I expect Daryl Johnson to get it. But still a long way to go for a 7th round rookie and a vet like Acho could definitely steal the spot.

Same goes for Captain. I think the top 3 CB are set with Tre, Levi, and Kevin. But after that I don't see anyone guranteed to make roster. I'd expect Taron Johnson and Pitts would earn the last two spots. But that can be unseated. Heck we could even keep 6 corners since Taron is strictly a nickle.

Munnerlyn is a nice safety net if there are more injuries in the defensive backfield.  Same thing for Acho.  This tweaking of the back end of the roster is not unusual in the least.  Best case scenario - none of them see a regular season rep because that means someone ahead of them on the depth chart suffered an injury.

31 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Munnerlyn is a nice safety net if there are more injuries in the defensive backfield.  Same thing for Acho.  This tweaking of the back end of the roster is not unusual in the least.  Best case scenario - none of them see a regular season rep because that means someone ahead of them on the depth chart suffered an injury.

You need to sift through a lot of dirt and rocks to find gold.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ya know, while you usually offer eye rolling comments, I think you may be on to something here. Nobody cares if we go 0-3 the rest of preseason, but we’ll ALL care if Shaq, Jerry Hughes or Trent Murphy are injured unnecessarily.

Yeah. I don't see much point in trotting pass rushers out there in the preseason, especially since they've all been in the system for 2 or 3 years. There's not a ton of nuance there, and we're not particularly deep at the spot, even with all these bodies. I'm certainly not ready to rely on Murphy staying healthy all year.

• Like (+1) 2