Peterman 50-yard run! ?

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Matt Barkley is 174-291, 59.8% completion, 7.4 YPA, 10 TDs & 18 INTs, with a 68.3 rating in his career. 

Nate is 68-130, 52.3% completion, 4.2 YPA, 3 TDs & 12 INTs, with a 32.5 rating in his career.

Nate ISN’T a “Matt Barkley type.” That’s an insult to Barkley (who hasn’t exactly been Joe Montana). Barkley has been more than twice as effective as Nate. 

I promise that I'm done in this thread. Just want to provide FACTS to show just how bad Nate has been. Anyone can pick the worst QB that they can think of with at least 130 attempts and put them side-by-side. He will be worse. He was literally that bad. The worst that has ever played.

If Peterman makes the team it is because he competed for a spot and won out. You will not see me arguing that he has played well when he was with us. But that doesn't mean that he is incapable of playing better and earning a spot as a backup. 

I simply don't understand why you have made this Peterman issue a do or die cause. A coach has given him an opportunity to make a squad as a backup. He either demonstrates on the field that he is good enough to make the roster, or not.  What's wrong with that?  

If Peterman makes the Raider roster you will be receiving in the mail a "cease and desist" order requiring you to stand down. Just leave this young and earnest fellow alone! :)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

for all the crap he gets, i'm willing to bet he ends up having a decent career as at least a backup. he'll get the last laugh....kinda like in a few years mason rudolph turns out to be the best qb drafted in 2018.

Mason Rudolph becoming the best QB drafted in 2018 seems like a huge stretch for anyone who isn’t an OK State fan. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

If Peterman makes the team it is because he competed for a spot and won out. You will not see me arguing that he has played well when he was with us. But that doesn't mean that he is incapable of playing better and earning a spot as a backup. 

I simply don't understand why you have made this Peterman issue a do or die cause. A coach has given him an opportunity to make a squad as a backup. He either demonstrates on the field that he is good enough to make the roster, or not.  What's wrong with that?  

If Peterman makes the Raider roster you will be receiving in the mail a "cease and desist" order requiring you to stand down. Just leave this young and earnest fellow alone! :)

You said that he was “a Matt Barkley type.” I stuck their numbers next to each other demonstrating that Barkley has been twice as effective. It’s fine that Peterman is getting a shot. We just shouldn’t overrate who he is by calling him a “Barkley type.” We should say that “”he is historically the worst qB of all-time and is getting another shot.” That’s an accurate statement.

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Mason Rudolph becoming the best QB drafted in 2018 seems like a huge stretch for anyone who isn’t an OK State fan. 

i was ( not knowing about the research mcbeane put into allen) ...an advocate for staying put an drafting rudolph. i was hoping for vita vea and then rudolph followed with washington at wr and then i forget who at lb. so far with vea, i feel wrong , but when big ben hangs up the cleats, i  can't see the steelers missing a beat. like the pats, they seem to know how to keep on truckin.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You said that he was “a Matt Barkley type.” I stuck their numbers next to each other demonstrating that Barkley has been twice as effective. It’s fine that Peterman is getting a shot. We just shouldn’t overrate who he is by calling him a “Barkley type.” We should say that “”he is historically the worst qB of all-time and is getting another shot.” That’s an accurate statement.

It sucks because I’m sure he is a great and a lot of this isn’t his fault.  McDermott put the guy in and he had no business playing.  We love saying guys like JP and EJ are terrible.  But they at least have nfl arms.  Peterman does not.  

This is why preseason is both the best and worst.  It’s awesome to have football back and on a bunch of days during the week.  But you really aren’t getting an accurate view of how good players are.  No real gameplanning, very vanilla schemes, against a lot of guys who aren’t going to be in the nfl.  Good for Peterman for getting a paycheck but I’m so happy he isn’t on our team anymore.  It was pretty funny watching him because it was so bad and so many fans pumped him up. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

He's capable of "earning" a spot as a starter against vanilla defenses and backups.

He's not capable of filling even a backup role (adequately) when the real bullets start flying. Kid just doesn't have the pre-requisite arm strength to be an NFL QB.

Matt Barkley is a serviceable backup QB. I wouldn't put Barkley and Peterman in the same category.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

He's capable of "earning" a spot as a starter against vanilla defenses and backups.

He's not capable of filling even a backup role (adequately) when the real bullets start flying. Kid just doesn't have the pre-requisite arm strength to be an NFL QB.

Matt Barkley is a serviceable backup QB. I wouldn't put Barkley and Peterman in the same category.

Agreed and Barkley is barely serviceable but he has a little stronger arm.  It’s kinda terrible how many bad qbs there are in the league.  Not many Frank Reichs out there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i was ( not knowing about the research mcbeane put into allen) ...an advocate for staying put an drafting rudolph. i was hoping for vita vea and then rudolph followed with washington at wr and then i forget who at lb. so far with vea, i feel wrong , but when big ben hangs up the cleats, i  can't see the steelers missing a beat. like the pats, they seem to know how to keep on truckin.

I hear ya, just not sold on Rudolph. The Steelers have been one of the league’s most consistently successful franchises. Historically they’ve had continued success while transitioning from one era to the next. I’m not convinced that will continue once Big Ben retires. Roethlisberger has carried that team on his back the past few seasons. The legendary Pittsburgh D has always been there throughout the years, but hasn’t been strong in recent memory. Tomlin has had the luxury of coaching an elite QB his entire career. There have been plenty of Tomlin doubters, and he’d no longer be with the team if they didn’t value strong continuity. Rudolph wouldn’t be stepping into that great of a situation imo. 

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Ultimately, it is what Gruden thinks. I can't say for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A "cease and desist" order is being prepared for you if/when he makes the roster. You will be required to abide by the legal notice once it is in effect. If you don't you will be considered to be a scofflaw. Be careful. Once your reputation is tarnished it will be difficult to rehabilitate. ? 

Edited by JohnC
spelling
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I hear ya, just not sold on Rudolph. The Steelers have been one of the league’s most consistently successful franchises. Historically they’ve had continued success while transitioning from one era to the next. I’m not convinced that will continue once Big Ben retires. Roethlisberger has carried that team on his back the past few seasons. The legendary Pittsburgh D has always been there throughout the years, but hasn’t been strong in recent memory. Tomlin has had the luxury of coaching an elite QB his entire career. There have been plenty of Tomlin doubters, and he’d no longer be with the team if they didn’t value strong continuity. Rudolph wouldn’t be stepping into that great of a situation imo. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

A "cease and desist" order is being prepared for you if/when he makes the roster. You will be required to abide by the legal notice once it is in effect. If you don't you will be considered to be a scofflaw. Be careful. Once your reputation is tarnished it will be difficult to rehabilitate. ? 

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

i don't get the john c thing..but when ben hangs up the cleats, i t will be rudolph to juju and washington way better than to a...douchebag brown. the steeleres will be back...and i'm a bills fan

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It sucks because I’m sure he is a great and a lot of this isn’t his fault.  McDermott put the guy in and he had no business playing.  We love saying guys like JP and EJ are terrible.  But they at least have nfl arms.  Peterman does not.  

This is why preseason is both the best and worst.  It’s awesome to have football back and on a bunch of days during the week.  But you really aren’t getting an accurate view of how good players are.  No real gameplanning, very vanilla schemes, against a lot of guys who aren’t going to be in the nfl.  Good for Peterman for getting a paycheck but I’m so happy he isn’t on our team anymore.  It was pretty funny watching him because it was so bad and so many fans pumped him up. 

When Peterman had a few quality games in 2017, people in my office at the time were seriously talking Super Bowl. I didn't want to call them delusional so I let it go. Shortly after that the talk stopped!

18 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

When Peterman had a few quality games in 2017

A few quality snaps, perhaps. Nate Peterman has never put together even one, much less “a few,” quality games in the regular season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed and Barkley is barely serviceable but he has a little stronger arm.  It’s kinda terrible how many bad qbs there are in the league.  Not many Frank Reichs out there. 

i;m glad we have barkley. couldn't find a better no.2.

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I hear ya, just not sold on Rudolph. The Steelers have been one of the league’s most consistently successful franchises. Historically they’ve had continued success while transitioning from one era to the next. I’m not convinced that will continue once Big Ben retires. Roethlisberger has carried that team on his back the past few seasons. The legendary Pittsburgh D has always been there throughout the years, but hasn’t been strong in recent memory.tomlim has had the luxury of coaching an elite QB his entire career. There have been plenty of Tomlin doubters, and he’d no longer be with the team if they didn’t value strong continuity. Rudolph wouldn’t be stepping into that great of a situation imo. 

i think by the time  mason gets the reigns, the steelers will have a new coach.

13 hours ago, Steptide said:

I've said it before and I'll say It again. I'm glad the Peterman experiment is over here, but I really hope he makes a team and has a great redemption story. As long as I've been a football fan, I've never seen anyone handle complete failure as well as he did. I give him a ton of credit for that and wish him the best. 

That's a great point. He really was spectacular at failing.