Peterman 50-yard run! ?

On 8/11/2019 at 2:51 AM, SydneyBillsFan said:

I wish this whole laughing at Peterman thing would stop. He is a thoroughly decent kid who tries his best but is simply not cut out for the NFL. Doesn't mean that he deserves to be ridiculed.

tumblr_mpaqgy0fUv1sxk8zwo1_400.gif

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/11/2019 at 3:07 AM, Dafan said:

Wish the best for the kid....but he looked pretty good for us last preseason to.  Even remember some NFL analysts saying he should have been starting for the Bills.  Then came along regular season!

Even with the regular season, it's not like he was given much of a chance.

We had coaches that thoroughly jerked him around...giving him all of one half before pulling him again. The guy may have sucked, but it's not like anyone showed more than surface-level confidence in him, and he knew any failures would get him sent back to the bench in an instant. 

Again, not saying he would've been great, but I've rarely seen another QB get treated the way he did. 

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

We had coaches that thoroughly jerked him around...giving him all of one half before pulling him again. The guy may have sucked, but it's not like anyone showed more than surface-level confidence in him, and he knew any failures would get him sent back to the bench in an instant. 

Again, not saying he would've been great, but I've rarely seen another QB get treated the way he did. 

Probably because no one has ever seen another QB play as HISTORICALLY badly as he did in his limited time.

Pretty sure all the well wishes and faith in him wouldn't have taken away the interceptions the kid kept throwing. 

Sometimes guys just suck.  

23 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Probably because no one has ever seen another QB play as HISTORICALLY badly as he did in his limited time.

Pretty sure all the well wishes and faith in him wouldn't have taken away the interceptions the kid kept throwing. 

Sometimes guys just suck.  

The Bills hadn't made the playoffs in a long time. The team was undergoing management changes. McDermott had the defense on fire but the offense straight sucked. 

Sometimes situations just suck to be in. Peterman didn't start because he was amazing. That was wishful thinking. He started because nothing else was going on.

Peterman blew his opportunity in Buffalo for sure, but it wasn't that great of an opportunity if you are being honest. 

Edited by Lfod

I keep catching myself making up little rhymes in the style of the old Burma Shave signs. Like:

I'm a big time quarterback

In the NFL

Here comes my pass

TOUCH D - Oh hell..

PETERMAN

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

You've never seen a QB treated that way because no other QB has ever started as poorly as he did.

Who's watching Hard Knocks?

Peterman is doing the same old Peterman stuff out in California too.

Gruden was actually giving it to him a little in the second episode.

The kid just has no business being anywhere near an NFL football field.  

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He actually does... just only during the preseason.   Dude will light you up when the games don’t matter. 

Edited by SCBills

9 hours ago, Dafan said:

You've never seen a QB treated that way because no other QB has ever started as poorly as he did.

No QB ever had his line purposely not block like he did, either (Chargers game).  That's a hell of a way to begin one's career.

I hope Peterman secures a job and I hope he has a successful career.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

No QB ever had his line purposely not block like he did, either (Chargers game).  That's a hell of a way to begin one's career.

Yeah, that was a display of racism in the NFL.  Black QB being replaced by white QB and the black guys on the line deciding not to block for the white QB. I wonder what Jay-Z will do about stuff like that...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Ask Dennis Shaw. NFL ROY to out of football in 5 years. ?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I watched episode 2 last night. I was surprised by how little personality and enthusiasm Glennon and Peterman have. Seen more charm in a mass grave. You can see why Gruden had a pop at them. 

I get the same impression when I see Josh Rosen. Although admittedly not seen him as close up he always seems to have a face like someone came into his house and pi$$ed on his kids at Christmas.

Edited by BritBill

21 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s absolutely reasonable and there is evidence to support it. You can’t say a guy is worse that didn’t play because we don’t know!! You can only compare QBs to other QBs. We don’t know if Gibran Hamdan is a worse QB than Nate Peterman because he didn’t get a chance. Kurt Warner went from grocery bagger to HOFer. I guess he was worse because he wasn’t in the league? You can’t compare him to guys that didn’t play!! When you stack up NP against guys with similar experience, he ranks last in QB rating and last in INT %. He ranks 356 of 356 (ie worst). Keep in mind, he is doing this in an era where every single passing record is being SHATTERED. The rules favor the passing game more than any time in the game’s history. So while he has every possible advantage he has still performed worse than those that had more challenges. 

Yup. Absolutely reasonable. To say it about Peterman and around 1700 other QBs who accomplished even less..

And you're right that we don't know if a guy is worse when he didn't even play. Thing is ... give those guys the benefit of the doubt and intellectual honesty demands you give Peterman the same benefit.

Listen, 'cause this is the truth. We ... don't ... know ... how ... Peterman ... will ... be ... thought of. Nor will we till the end of his career. Again, it's not over. It may be soon, but it's not. And if you don't give Peterman the benefit of the doubt ... and you clearly don't ... then a neutral observer who doesn't hate Peterman doesn't give any of those others the benefit of the doubt either. Most of them didn't play  ... because they sucked too much to get on the field. Fair enough that out of those 1700 (I'm choosing that number because there are just over 2000 QBs with passer ratings, but there are probably another couple of thousand who weren't even good enough to see the field and get a passer rating) there might indeed be 20 or 30 who might have been good if given a chance. Maybe Hamdan was better, who knows, though I doubt it. But the vast majority of them simply sucked, and were never even good enough to get that chance,

And again, you keep avoiding my point that several QBs who turned out to be very good, including two Hall of Famers (I assume Peyton will make it), started with comparable or even worse early work with Peterman. Can we say that maybe Peterman would be just as good if he'd been given the chance? Use that logic on thousands of other QBs, as you do, and in intellectual fairness, you actually have to say that.

Peterman's near the bottom, yes, along with thousands of others.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. Absolutely reasonable. To say it about Peterman and around 1700 other QBs who accomplished even less..

And you're right that we don't know if a guy is worse when he didn't even play. Thing is ... give those guys the benefit of the doubt and intellectual honesty demands you give Peterman the same benefit.

Listen, 'cause this is the truth. We ... don't ... know ... how ... Peterman ... will ... be ... thought of. Nor will we till the end of his career. Again, it's not over. It may be soon, but it's not. And if you don't give Peterman the benefit of the doubt ... and you clearly don't ... then a neutral observer who doesn't hate Peterman doesn't give any of those others the benefit of the doubt either. Most of them didn't play  ... because they sucked too much to get on the field. Fair enough that out of those 1700 (I'm choosing that number because there are just over 2000 QBs with passer ratings, but there are probably another couple of thousand who weren't even good enough to see the field and get a passer rating) there might indeed be 20 or 30 who might have been good if given a chance. Maybe Hamdan was better, who knows, though I doubt it. But the vast majority of them simply sucked, and were never even good enough to get that chance,

And again, you keep avoiding my point that several QBs who turned out to be very good, including two Hall of Famers (I assume Peyton will make it), started with comparable or even worse early work with Peterman. Can we say that maybe Peterman would be just as good if he'd been given the chance? Use that logic on thousands of other QBs, as you do, and in intellectual fairness, you actually have to say that.

Peterman's near the bottom, yes, along with thousands of others.

My point, is, and has been, at this point it’s reasonable to consider him the worst that’s ever played. There are numbers that support that. Can this change? Of course it can!! If he gets out there and plays really well things can change. The last chapter isn’t written (although it may be soon). 

The “guys couldn’t get on the field” argument is BS. We can’t compare a resume to someone that never got the chance. 1 year ago today, even after the nightmare against the Chargers, you would have said, “he’s still better than Nick Mullins.” Now, that opinion isn’t a reasonable one. Now could Peterman play well and Mullins poorly and that switch? Sure, but we can only judge on what HAS happened not what we THINK MIGHT happen. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My point, is, and has been, at this point it’s reasonable to consider him the worst that’s ever played. There are numbers that support that. Can this change? Of course it can!! If he gets out there and plays really well things can change. The last chapter isn’t written (although it may be soon). 

The “guys couldn’t get on the field” argument is BS. We can’t compare a resume to someone that never got the chance. 1 year ago today, even after the nightmare against the Chargers, you would have said, “he’s still better than Nick Mullins.” Now, that opinion isn’t a reasonable one. Now could Peterman play well and Mullins poorly and that switch? Sure, but we can only judge on what HAS happened not what we THINK MIGHT happen. 

The only thing BS about that "guys couldn't get on the field" argument is that it debunks your argument.

If your point "is, and has been, at this point it’s reasonable to consider him the worst that’s ever played," then for the third time, that is correct.

It's correct to say so about Peterman and probably 1700 other guys who saw the field at least for a moment, and probably 2000 more who didn't get a chance ... because they sucked. It's certainly reasonable to guess that maybe ... maybe ... there were a quarter of a percentile or whatever who might have made something of themselves. But to pretend that anything but the overwhelming majority of them would have been any good at all is the worst kind of sad reach to pretend your argument makes sense.

Say there were 1000 guys who never threw a pass. You'd have to be on LSD to deny that 750 or more of them didn't make it because they simply didn't have what it takes.