Captain Mutterlyn signed

28 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Did they really have to put Gaines on IR? That is a really disappointing move. 2 years ago they were a good defense when he was on the field. 

One year ago they had the #1 pass D in the league with the guys they have as starters currently.  I think the D will survive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My first thought after Gaines IR was Ben Benwikere is a free agent but apparently the Vikings signed him last week.

Munnerlyn is a little more consistent in his career but also older.    Neither very good but both are veterans with a good deal of starting experience in McDermott system.  

Minnesota will probably cut Benwikere at the end of summer so he's another guy who might end up coming to Buffalo at some point if there are injuries.

54 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yikes...in 2018, he placed as the No. 83 cornerback in the NFL out of 112 qualified players, per Pro Football Focus.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/panthers_to_release_cb_captain_munnerlyn/s1_14819_28509893

so there were 30 worse players on 53 man rosters last year.  Could do worse.

Looking at the stats it seems like he makes a lot of tackles 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Panthers North

Yeah, they keep reaching into the Carolina cookie jar every chance they get.  It's pretty noticeable.  Not sure if this is Dan Morgan as director of pro personnel or Beane.

Seems like a good depth move, an insurance policy.  He will not crack White, Wallace or Johnson.

If he makes the 53, he is insurance in case one of the above get hurt.

To me this signals Beane/McDermott believe this is a play-off caliber team and are working to keep it that way.

5 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

One constraint here is that a player must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1 to be eligible for the IR designation to return. That means, anyone who was placed on IR before roster cuts were made to trim the roster down to 53 players is not eligible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

He's not the player he once was, obviously.  However I think we need a little bit more of a veteran presence, so I like the signing.  I'm not sure he'll make the team but I'd like to give a veteran a shot.  In his day he played awfully nasty too.  

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

One constraint here is that a player must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1 to be eligible for the IR designation to return. That means, anyone who was placed on IR before roster cuts were made to trim the roster down to 53 players is not eligible.

This is from the Bengals article.  I thought this was changed.

Does anyone know for sure.

58 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My first thought after Gaines IR was Ben Benwikere is a free agent but apparently the Vikings signed him last week.

Munnerlyn is a little more consistent in his career but also older.    Neither very good but both are veterans with a good deal of starting experience in McDermott system.  

Minnesota will probably cut Benwikere at the end of summer so he's another guy who might end up coming to Buffalo at some point if there are injuries.

The guy that walked around pregame with a baseball bat? I doubt it. 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yikes...in 2018, he placed as the No. 83 cornerback in the NFL out of 112 qualified players, per Pro Football Focus.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/panthers_to_release_cb_captain_munnerlyn/s1_14819_28509893

Yep.

He is an EFFORT guy with leadership qualities  .

What he isn’t is good. As a nickel or dime corner if we are nicked up maybe. I’ve watched this guy during a few stints in Clt and my opinion.....

a big, fat MEH.

2 hours ago, boco357 said:

The Captain!  Its Yacht Rock Season!

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Amateurs. They shouldn't be signing anyone under the rank of Rear Admiral.

Captain? Please.

I think they made this move to save money.  Captain told them he can be in Buffalo tomorrow morning.  They told him, don't bother, we''ll just catch up with you there on Tuesday!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yeah, they keep reaching into the Carolina cookie jar every chance they get.  It's pretty noticeable.  Not sure if this is Dan Morgan as director of pro personnel or Beane.

I get the sense that this truly a “ McBeane” MO kinda thing. They both are on the same page and with Doubtful Dan it becomes an echo chamber.

They are comfortable with what they know and my guess is it’s about personality as well as system familiarity. 

58 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Very disappointed to see EJ Gaines go to IR. Maybe a candidate to come off IR during the season.

Getting him back week ten for the Playoff run might look like a stroke of genius when all is said and done.