Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

13 minutes ago, bargepole said:

You guys are nuts. He has played, what, 10 minutes in 2 NFL games? In Rugby, he is used to playing a full 80 minutes taking part in offensive and defensive plays. He will be at least as fit as any NFL player.

A few years back, we had an American boy, ex-College Footballer, who came along to try out for my local Rugby club. For 2 minutes, he was the best player on the field, bursting through tackles and making a lot of metres (yes we have to make metres, not yards, so it's even tougher). But after that, he was looking to the sidelines for the oxygen mask - sorry pal,  there isn't one, you just keep going.

If they keep him as an RB, I can see some special plays being devised involving him and Josh Allen - one of them making the initial run, then offloading the ball to the other to finish it off (what you Americans quaintly call a 'lateral'). That will have the other teams' defence coaches scratching their heads.

He can pitch it back to Allen! Josh knows what to do!

42 minutes ago, mannc said:

He’ll be 29 years old next year...it’s now or never.

Well if its a now or never then never. Way to big of a  gamble. We have more talented players at needed depth positions to take up a spot on a big time project

38 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I am just trying to be optimistic. Let us see how he does first against better competition. I do support the PS option if it comes down to that. If Wade proves to make the Bills a better team then he has to be considered, even if seems to be some "alternative" approach. Wade is demonstrating good recognition and instinctual skills as well.

Nothing wrong with optimism. I too see Wade with some optimism. Just know we have plenty of positions that have more depth concerns then a project RB who has never played American football before

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Nothing wrong with optimism. I too see Wade with some optimism. Just know we have plenty of positions that have more depth concerns then a project RB who has never played American football before

Oh I get it, and understand the other depth concerns.  I am just opening up a possibility. I just want this team to win again, and to be open to new ideas and perhaps think outside the box. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Well if its a now or never then never. Way to big of a  gamble. We have more talented players at needed depth positions to take up a spot on a big time project

Your 4th running back spot/special teamer isn’t something worth taking a gamble on?

I think in limited viewings Wade has shown that his speed and agility are at an elite level. That alone should give him a good shot at the 53. If he can do this over next two pre-season games, I would think they’d have to at least give him strong considerations for the 53-man roster.

• Like (+1) 1

The TD run vs. Colts was great but he wasn't touched and you could discount it some if that was all you'd seen. I don't think you can fake the catch and run vs. Panthers regardless of how badly they tackled. This guy is a gamer with experience competing against the best in the world in another sport and being a star while doing so. I like Murphy but I'd rather take a chance on a guy with star talent.

Edited by VW82

Some one on another forum said that Wade could still be picked up after being cut but before he was put on the practice squad

www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2018/9/1/17808772/nfl-practice-squad-2018-eligibility-pay-rules-changing-teams-what-to-know

The NFL will assign the player

The team can note a few players of interest

If he makes the team after camp, he would count against the 53-man roster

**The player getting cut after camp would still go through waivers as usual**

51 minutes ago, bargepole said:

You guys are nuts. He has played, what, 10 minutes in 2 NFL games? In Rugby, he is used to playing a full 80 minutes taking part in offensive and defensive plays. He will be at least as fit as any NFL player.

A few years back, we had an American boy, ex-College Footballer, who came along to try out for my local Rugby club. For 2 minutes, he was the best player on the field, bursting through tackles and making a lot of metres (yes we have to make metres, not yards, so it's even tougher). But after that, he was looking to the sidelines for the oxygen mask - sorry pal,  there isn't one, you just keep going.

If they keep him as an RB, I can see some special plays being devised involving him and Josh Allen - one of them making the initial run, then offloading the ball to the other to finish it off (what you Americans quaintly call a 'lateral'). That will have the other teams' defence coaches scratching their heads.

That would work in college football but they don't run options with laterals in the NFL for a reason

It will get your QB killed

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

Perhaps I am being progressive, but if there is a player performing like Wade, you find somewhere for him on this roster now.

Nope because he still does not understand the nuances of the position.  People love the runs, but if he can’t  pick up a blitz - he gets your starting QB killed.  If he is not familiar with the correct swing route - he gets your QB killed.  He is still learning how to take a handoff.  

I love what he is doing, but he needs time to learn.

• Like (+1) 2

We don't really know just how much juice this kid has got. Obviously the coaches have a better idea. He certainly is a tease though. If the game breaking traits he has flashed are completely legit the Bills might have a decision to make regarding this year's roster. Those types of players are few, far between and valuable. If he's truly the next Human Joystick it might be hard to pass on him. If he can run back punts and kickoffs, albeit in a backup role, I could see him edging out Perry, though of course that wouldn't guarantee him a spot either. There is no way IMO that he bumps a legit veteran RB like Yeldon however. 

My guess is that the option to stash him as a protected PS player will be just too attractive and easy for the Bills. It's too bad that he can't be promoted in season. Not sure I see the reason for that rule.

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

We don't really know just how much juice this kid has got. Obviously the coaches have a better idea. He certainly is a tease though. If the game breaking traits he has flashed are completely legit the Bills might have a decision to make regarding this year's roster. Those types of players are few, far between and valuable. If he's truly the next Human Joystick it might be hard to pass on him. If he can run back punts and kickoffs, albeit in a backup role, I could see him edging out Perry, though of course that wouldn't guarantee him a spot either. There is no way IMO that he bumps a legit veteran RB like Yeldon however. 

My guess is that the option to stash him as a protected PS player will be just too attractive and easy for the Bills. It's too bad that he can't be promoted in season. Not sure I see the reason for that rule.

I am guessing it is because of the Exemptions provided by the Allocated team for Both camp and the PS. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am guessing it is because of the Exemptions provided by the Allocated team for Both camp and the PS. 

The whole question is how are these players treated after cuts.

Do they go thru waivers or not.

That question is not completely defined in the rules we all have read.

It seems to me that someone like John Wawrow needs to ask that question to the Bills Front Office.

Maybe someone here can tweet him to see if he will ask.

Personally I read it as he doesn't go thru waivers but like I said it's not specified.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It seems to me that someone like John Wawrow needs to ask that question to the Bills Front Office.

Personally I read it as he doesn't go thru waivers but like I said it's not specified.

I have questions out. But seems like what some are saying by how their tweets worded he is not eligible to play in 2019 unless he makes Bills 53. Otherwise sits on PS this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Here is what you need to know about the international practice squad spot:

• The NFL will assign the player
  • The team can note a few players of interest
  • If he makes the team after camp, he would count against the 53-man roster
  • The player getting cut after camp would still go through waivers as usual
  • If the team then chooses to re-sign him after clearing waivers he would officially become the 11th practice squad player
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Here is what you need to know about the international practice squad spot:

• The NFL will assign the player
  • The team can note a few players of interest
  • If he makes the team after camp, he would count against the 53-man roster
  • The player getting cut after camp would still go through waivers as usual
  • If the team then chooses to re-sign him after clearing waivers he would officially become the 11th practice squad player

thanks for clarifying the matter : ) well done

• Like (+1) 1